Brett ReadsAug 17, 2021
Why I Don’t Set Reading Goals for Myself
My thoughts on the idea of reading a specific number of books per year and why I no longer do so.
Eight Bookish Questions - Introducing Brett Reads
In which I answer eight questions about why I've started this podcast and why I love reading.
- 00:00 - Intro
- 00:18 - Why did you start this channel?
- 01:05 - What are some fun and unique things you can bring to BookTube?
- 03:38 - What are you most excited about for this channel?
- 04:09 - Why do you love reading?
- 06:24 - What book or series got you into reading?
- 07:15 - What question would you ask your favorite BookTubers?
- 08:25 - What challenges do you think starting a booktube channel will be hardest to overcome?
- 09:38 - What kind of books do you like to read?
Crooked House by Agatha Christie Review
My thoughts on Agatha Christie's shocking murder mystery novel Crooked House.
Virtual Light by William Gibson Review
In Progress: A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin
I've been reading through A Storm of Swords for over a month now, and I thought it'd be fun to share my thoughts on it so far. I give an overview of my history with the series and my thoughts on the first half of the book.
Overall, I'm really enjoying it. It's a bit of a slow burn since I know where the plot's heading, but I appreciate how the book goes into much more detail than the show.
Onward to finishing it!
Dai Dark Vol 1 & 2 Review
I check out the first two volumes of Q Hayashida's latest manga series Dai Dark. It's a darkly funny romp through space with an eccentric band of characters. I enjoyed the first two volumes, and I'm curious to see if the story picks up and goes places.
While I wait for the next volume, I'm going to check out Hayashida's previous series Dorohedoro!
Intro to Haruki Murakami
I shine a spotlight on one of my favorite authors—the author who got me into reading—Haruki Murakami. Known for his surreal tales of loneliness and longing, Murakami's novels connected with me in my early twenties and showed me that yes, I am a reader. I unabashedly love his works. I share how I discovered Murakami, a bit about the man himself, and where to start if you're interested.
- 00:00 - Intro
- 02:50 - Discovering Murakami
- 10:00 - About Murakami
- 14:15 - The Runner
- 16:30 - The Range of Murakami
- 21:31 - My Favorites
- 22:37 - Where to Start
- 29:26 - Closing Thoughts
My plan is to (re)read through all Murakami's work and make dedicated episodes for each one. I'm really looking forward to it!