End UserMar 08, 2021
Melon Man Emergency
Just trying to be glad you’re finally willing to acknowledge Mastodon’s existence!
This is the first audio production I’ve ever done entirely on a goddamned iPad - recording, editing, “mixing”, rendering, and “publishing.” Isn’t that interesting!?? If you haven’t already, look into Ferrite.
- The (Twitter) Thread
- The (Mastodon) Thread
- The (Live-updated) Notes
- The GitHub Repository (Which I have literally done nothing with yet.)
- Joanna Stern’s Take
- Couldn’t find the video from that GitHub stream in a reasonable amount of time. If you’d really like to see it, though, let me know and I’ll keep looking.
THE SOUND OF ETERNAL ACCOUNTABILITY
World Wide Web: bilge.world
Contact Card: davidblue.wtf/db.vcf
Best of 2021 Mix
What I think about music shouldn’t particularly matter to you, but I did actually bother to gather all of the Odesli links for my Best of ➋⓿➋➊ Apple Music Playlist, and I hope you’ll follow my example.
(This list is in order of the playlist, not this mix. Sorry.)
- Strawberry by Doss
- Will You Be? by Baltra
- You Could Be by Anz, George Riley
- Slugs by Harrison BDP
- Techno Halcyon by Ivy Hollivana
- Cuiva by Parra for Cuva
- Never Come Back by Caribou
- You Can Do It by Caribou
- Never Enough by Disclosure
- Hyperfunk (Mixed) by Antonio
- Genesis by Ivy Hollivana
- U Already Know by DJ Seinfeld & Teira
- Harmony by Origin8a & Propa & Benny Page
- Not Alone (ReeLLove Remix) by Lusine & ReeLLove
- I Can’t Explain by The Juan MacLean
- Gone by BAILE
- Every Cloud by Harrison BDP
- Puppy by Doss
- If the Shoe Fits by DJ Swisha
- Every Single Time by Bissett
- Music To Heal To by Elkka
- Mars by Qrion, Mars Kasei
- I Have a Love — Overmono Remix by For Those I Love
- Say Something by Kylie Minogue
- Out of Sorts by BAILE
Assorted Twitter Spaces Feedback
A collection of Twitter Spaces recordings I’ve accumulated over the past few months, starting with my FIRST EVER direct conversation with employees of Twitter, Incorporated.
e_n_d_ _ _u_s_e_r
The Radical Minutia
(EDIT: Audio has truly been fixed now... Sorry about that.)
On Saturday, September 4th, I scheduled a Twitter Space entitled "How to Explain iOS 15 to Your Mom" a few hours in advance, not necessarily expecting any speakers or guests to show up, but an old friend and two new ones did! They indulged me for a near-2 hour conversation about a whole lot and I really appreciate it.
Why I Didn't Follow You Back
- Microsoft Ignite Terror
- Why I Didn't Follow You Back
- A recorded Twitter Space hosted by Sam Sheffer
- Just Fucking Around
- The Twitter Follow Explanation Gist (and identical Medium post.)
Blocked by Kara Swisher, which was only resolved thanks to (yet again) Casey Newton
- “3 Reasons Your Twitter Follower Ratio Is More Important Than You Know | Inc.com”
Not only that, but you are also saying "Yes, I may have recently followed you, but don't take it too personally, I like to follow a lot of people, so really, the fact that I cared enough to follow you doesn't mean I am genuinely interested in what you have to say."
Not doing great on the first impression scale...
"Every social media platform has limits."
- The "underrated rappers" room which was still overwhelmingly dominated by Big KRIT.
- NO THOUGHTS, HEAD EMPTY - The Third Culture Kids and their 100% sincere enchantment with the doge meme.
- "Metadata Mondays" From "The 808 Wave"
- "Clubhouse Feels like a Party" | The New Yorker
There was something pleasant about meandering from conversation to conversation, as if I had walked into my own home to find a conference in full swing. But I also wondered, Why did I let all of these people into my house?
It is hard to shake the feeling that everyone on Clubhouse is selling something: a company, a workshop, a show, a book, a brand.
- "The Future of Social Media Is All Talk" | WIRED
- Ill's incredibly innovative implementation of WordPress as a Static Site Generator!!!
- The latest version of the RSS Specification is 2.0.11, which was published on March 30th, 2009.
Brad Varol, Father of Whyp
My conversation with Bradley Varol - a London-based developer who loves Hardstyle, drives an imported Toyota Chaser, and has bigger aspirations for his two-month-old audio sharing service than Vocaroo, Clyp, and Instaudio, combined.
We talked a lot about the future, but I think it'd be worth my time to thoroughly analyze Whyp's usefulness in the present, which you'll see soon on both Extratone and The Psalms. If you want to really go deep, you can follow and comment on its Issue in The Psalms' GitHub Repository.
Once again, any thoughts of yours even remotely adjacent to the subject would make my day - do reach out!
тнαиkfυl fσя bαиdcαмρ 2018 мix
Digital Academia Whacked
I have returned to school! ...and commented on The Social Dilemma, bought a desktop, broke Windows, installed WordPress, used a Kindle (ew,) started a Digital Magazine Collection, browsed the web using Microsoft products, and read a wonderful book about the history of word processing.
- That sound you're hearing at the beginning is one I made exclusively using sounds from Windows 98.
- End User has made a total of $1.58 to date! Incredible.
- Reporting From the Digital Classrom of 2020
- You've Just Watched 'The Social Dilemma'...
- Indulging Once More in Digital Excess and Revelations of Network Withdrawals (which is exactly two years old, today.)
- What The Fuck (Yes, I've been tinkering with yet another WordPress installation. Sorry.)
- Digital Gardens
- Creative Wellness
- 💔Finally Broke Windows
- Varmilo VA108M
- Track Changes: A Literary History of Word Processing
- Microsoft Browsing Review
Dirty Dave's Poweruser Tips
Dirty Dave's Poweruser Tips and an interesting new medium for interviews
This episode, I discuss Dirty Dave's Poweruser Tips - some of the software and lesser-known methodologies I've discovered over the years of Just Fucking Around.
- Interview with write.as Community Manager CJ Eller about Markdown, my tips post, Extratone, and all the stuff I've been doing on the web.
- CopyQ CopyQ Demo
- Windows 10 Basic Shortcuts
- "Microsoft’s new Spotlight-like launcher for Windows 10 will arrive in May" | The Verge
- Bear "Why I finally replaced Evernote with Bear" | The Verge
- Compact OS
Microsoft Designed Its New Surface Laptop 2 Specifically for Me
After living and working with Microsoft's Surface Laptop 2 since its release, I've realized (intellectually) that it's more suited to my personal use than any other machine I've ever used, but my emotional brain has remained just far enough behind to stay out of the way of saying something useful.
Spare yourself and just read my full written review instead.
- The Vergecast on the release of the original Surface Laptop, last year. "There's not a whole huge gap between an iPad Pro and the new Surface Laptop running Windows 10 S." (Windows 10 S is an entirely different issue that we can thankfully leave in the past.)
- "The best computer is one you hate a little" - The Outline (I must find Windows 10's ignorance almost as charming as I found Windows XP's thoughtfulness.)
- "Microsoft offers up Windows 10 1809 to nervy seekers" - ComputerWorld
- "Microsoft Surface Laptop 2 review: If it ain't broke" - by Dan Seifert for The Verge +Their review of the first model.
- "Microsoft Surface Laptop 2 is the best laptop of 2018" - Mashable +Microsoft's website page for the Surface Laptop 2 includes a quote from this review front and center.
- "Spec-Down: Apple MacBook Air vs. Microsoft Surface Laptop 2" - PCMag
- "The 2018 MacBook Air is good, but not great" - Mashable
- "Microsoft Surface Review" - by Joshua Topolsky for The Verge back in October 2012.
- "Microsoft's Surface Laptop feels beautiful" - The Verge
- "The popularity of Microsoft’s Surface is the least realistic thing on TV" - The Outline
- "With the Surface, Microsoft just started writing its next chapter" - by Joshua Topolsky for The Verge
- "What OEMs desperately need to learn from Microsoft's Surface" - ZDNet <
Mastodon's Big Moment, 20 Months Later
Amid some life changes, I took the opportunity to revisit Mastodon as I've recently realized how much more it has to offer than Twitter does, these days. A previously-unpublished interview from April 2017 with the federated social network's creator, Gargron and a replay of Futureland's subsequent Mastodon episode.
Siri Shortcuts Are iOS 12's Most Profound Addition
Revelations of Network Withdrawals
Recovering the Magic in Computers
What happens when a hardcore Magic Realist spends every possible minute of his life browsing the Internet?
How can our old terms possibly pertain to anything effectively in the now when most of them were formed pre-2011?
These conversations were long overdue, and I'm delighted to bring them back. Thank you for accommodating me! I look forward to hearing from you.