Grapes & CapesMar 22, 2021
18. Shreddin' with Sake
Joey and Mike sip on Sake from TippsySake.com while they talk about Zach Snyder's Justice League, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Batman / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #2 (2016), and Wolverine #2 (1982). Follow us on Twitter at @GrapesNCapes or go to our website GrapesandCapes.com.
- Zack Snyder's Justice League (SPOILERS!)
- The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
- Captain America 80th Anniversary #1
- Shirataki Jozen "Aged" Ginjo Sake
- Batman / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #2
- Asahi Dassai "45" Daigino Sake
- The joy of learning about Sake
- Wolverine #2
- Suigei Tokubetsu Junmai
17. Ravines & WandaVision
- RAVINES CELLARS DRY RIESLING
- Germany vs Finger Lakes
- Truro Vineyards
- Dry vs fruit
- Technical Difficulties
- Are we the last generation to watch Lucy?
- Why do babies not exist in comics?
- Why didn't they parody the Sopranos?
- RAVINES CELLARS PINOR NOIR
- What we're reading now
- DC Future State
16. Rumble at Ron Rubin's
Mike and Joey sip on three great wines by Ron Rubin while reading their favorite comic book fights: Ion vs Superboy Prime (Green Lantern Corps #18, 2007) and Abomination vs Hulk (Immortal Hulk #23-#24).
- Prologue, iTunes review
- Ron Rubin Winery
- RON RUBIN PAM'S UN-OAKED CHARDONNAY 2018 ($14)
- Do not be scared by screwcap enclosures
- Pineapple Chili Wings
- The Green Lantern Corps #18 (2007)
- What's up with Kyptonians and lead
- Origins of Sodam Yat and Superboy Prime
- WandaVision and Dr. Who
- RON RUBIN RUSSIAN RIVER CHARDONNAY 2018 ($20)
- Chardonnay love affair
- Getting into Port
- The Immortal Hulk #23 (2019)
- RON RUBIN RUSSIAN RIVER PINOT NOIR 2017 ($25)
- Local Restaurants
- You do not have to hoard wine
- The Immortal Hulk #24 (2019)
Intro Music: "Know Your Enemy" by Rage Against The Machine
Audio Article 3: The Adventures of Aglianico
Get the complete history of one of the most ancient wine grapes still around: Aglianico. From the Ancient Greeks, to the Romans, to the Normans, to Mussolini, to today. Campania, Italy's Aglianico has seen it all.
The Adventures of Aglianico - A Complete History of an Ancient Wine
Article originally published on June 4th, 2014
15. Tequila & Terror
14. Eleanor Rigby
Joey and Mike drink two wines from Alentejo, Portugal (provided by CPalate.com) while talking about Wandavision, Amazing Spider-Man 57 (2021), and Future State: The Dark Detective #1 (2021).
- Mandalorian is like a video game
- Cutting the fat off of tv shows
- Cartuxa Évora 2016
- The history of wine in Alentejo
- Why old vines produce better quality grapes
- String cheese vs fancy food pairings
- Amazing Spider-Man #57 (Legacy #858)
- Is Peter Parker retiring?
- Reguengos Garrafeira dos Socios 2014
- Future State: The Dark Detective #1
- DC's Future State
- Generations Shattered
- All the lonely people
- Back in Time
- Dark Detective Backup: No Future Past
- Joey keeps calling Luke Fox Lucius
13. Frank the Writer
Joey and Mike talk to novelist and comic book writer Frank Martin, who has a Kickstarter for his new comic book project THE POLAR PARADOX. This episode is a must listen for book worms and comic book fans.
- Writing both comics and prose
- THE POLAR PARADOX
- A writer's compulsion to tell stories
- Monster Mortician (short story)
- Modern Testament (comic book series)
- Future Projects
- Movies: The Batman and Suicide Squad
- Where's Frank's movie script?
- Favorite cocktails
- Background noise and habits while writing
- Advise on becoming a writer
- Paying artists and printers when crowd-funding
- Drabble Madness: 100 stories with 100 words (book)
- Inspiration for monsters in stories
- What scares you?
*** Intro Music: "Kickstart My Heart" by the LEGENDARY Mötley Crüe ***
12. Hope & Hijinks
Mike and Joey sip on wines by Morgan while talking about some uplifting stories to ring in the New Year, and give their opinion on Wonder Woman 1984 because why not?
- Prologue: Wonder Woman 1984, being a podcasting parent
- Wine #1: Morgan Metallico Unoaked Chardonnay 2019, Metallo, Superman the animated series
- Comics #1: Superman #7 (2016), Superman in New 52 and Rebirth, what makes Superman the greatest, Rebirth costumes, the aging and destruction of Jon Kent
- Wine #2: Morgan Twelve Clones Pinot Noir 2018
- Comics #2: Quantum and Woody Volume 1, hide yo kids hide yo wife
- Wine #3: Morgan Double L. Vineyard Syrah 2018
11. It's the TPG Christmas Party!
Members of the Team Patrol Gang, a group of four podcasts, get together for a Christmas party full of malarkey and ridiculousness. Join Chris from the Horror Comics Podcast, Eric from the Legendary Geekouts Podcast, Crumbs from the Crumbs of Gotham Podcast, and me (Joey) from Grapes & Capes as we discuss everything else and wonder if we'll ever get to any actual Christmas talk! MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYBODY
10. Cava Countdown
Mike and Joey drink Spanish Cava for the Holidays while counting down their top 5 favorite comic book heroes and villains. BUT THERE'S A CATCH!!! Mike can't pick anything Marvel, and Joey can't pick anything DC!
- Prologue: Podcasting during the first winter storm of the season, what do we listen to while we're reading?
- Wine #1: Vilarnau Brut Cava, what is Cava?, what is Champagne?, how they make traditional method sparkling wine, glasswear, the dryness scale, the kickass history of Korbel
- Comics #1: Top 5 Favorite Heroes, the Titans TV show, WB movies on HBO Max, DC Universe turning into comics service only, the Defender shows on Netflix, Sinestro Corp Wars is a must read, Doomsday Clock is too, annoying thought bubbles
- Wine #2: Vilarnau Rosé Cava, "Merry Christmas and wear a #$%^ing mask!", THANK YOU DONNA!
- Comics #2: Top 5 Favorite Villains, cross country 1990, the Birds of Prey movie, Batman Forever, the new Spider-Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, John Leguizamo, The Happening, the "menacing" factor for villains, the New Gods movie, life lessons from EC Comics
9. Crumbs of Gotham
Joey and Crumbs (from the Crumbs of Gotham podcast) just hang out and talk about whatever. There's really no format or any expectation of anything. It's totally unprofessional and pointless, which is exactly why you should listen.
Seltzer, Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again", Miley Cyrus on Howard Stern, Dolly Parton, The Mandalorian, Beavis and Butthead, why MTV stopped playing music, Peter Dinklage, Eric from Legendary Geekouts, Batman's Grave, Dark Nights Dark City, Divinity, The Ten Cent Plague, EC Comics, video games blamed for juvenile delinquency, the hate for younger generations, (THIS IS AROUND THE PART WHERE AUDIO ALIGNMENT GETS MESSED UP), Marvels by Kurt Busiek and Alex Ross (not "Art Ross". That's an old hockey player.), physical books vs digital, new gamer feature on Facebook, DC Universe Online, Spellbreak, EA Sports NHL, Marty Brodeur, Trent Dilfer vs Dan Marino, NFL = No Fun League, excessive celebration in the Super Bowl, fighting in hockey, calling Mike Milbury "Mike Middleton", Bruins' Stanley Cup loss to the Blues, Brad Marchand, facerakes are gross, Sydney Crosby, Claude Lemieux, Sean Avery, John Scott
8. Slicin' Dicin' & Sake
Mike and Joey taste three bottles of Sake from TippsySake.com while keeping comic talk Japan themed as they read Batman / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 (2015) and Wolverine #1 (1982).
- Sake #1: Kudoki Jozu Junmai Ginjo, what is Sake?, Futsu-Shu vs Premium, Honjozo vs Junmai, Single Malt Scotch vs Blends, moving the damn Elf on a Shelf, is Sake a beer?, drinkin' cheap Sake, Sake's REAL name
- Comic #1: Batman / Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 (2015), Something Is Killing The Children, Batman's package. who is our favorite turtle, TMNT movies (old and new)
- Sake #2: Nanbu Bijin Tokubestu Junmai, the white powder on gum
- Comic #2: Wolverine #1 (1982), "The Wolverine" movie, Comics Code, The Ten Cent Plague, EC Comics, Future State, Fortnite, Trainspotting
- Sake #3: Tozai "Snow Maiden" Junmai Nigori, what is Nigori?, Thank you TippsySake.com!
Audio Article 2: The Chemistry between us... and Wine
In the second episode of a series where Joey reads the articles that he's written over the years for TheWineStalker.net, he gets nerdy with wine chemistry! Learn about the science that makes wine what it is. Fermentation, alcohol, acids, phenols, and other chemical compounds and processes. Everything except, probably, proper pronunciation.
The Chemistry between us... and Wine
Article originally published May 7th, 2014
The building is on fire as Mike and Joey drink two wines from Matchbook Wine Company's The Arsonist label and read about the ultimate pyromaniac villain Heat Wave in The Flash #218 (2005)!
- Wine #1: The story of Matchbook Wine Company, The Arsonist Chardonnay 2018, pairing it with Chinese food, Royal Palace in Dennisport, Wok 'n Roll in South Yarmouth, finding the right Chardonnay to win you over, wines for Thanksgiving
- Comic, Part 1: The creation and origins of Heat Wave, The Flash #218 (2005) "Heat Wave" pages 1-12, the darkness and brutality of Heat Wave while feeling sympathy for his character, more Game of Thrones (should we just make a GoT podcast, I mean jeez), Donny Cates
- Wine#2: The Arsonist Red Blend 2017, Petite Verdot is the miracle grape
- Comic, Part 2: The Flash #218 (2005) "Heat Wave" pages 13-22, Siri never helps, the connection that keeps Heat Wave and Captain Cold connected forever
Audio Article 1: Analyzing Wine, Everyone Gets Better
In the first episode of a series where Joey reads the articles that he's written over the years for TheWineStalker.net, he goes over how to develop your palate to analyze wine using aroma and flavor descriptors. And it may make you ask the question... do you really want to?
Analyzing Wine: Everyone Gets Better
Article originally published April 23rd, 2014
6. Off The Beaten Path
Mike and Joey taste wines from Bulgaria (provided by KristovaFamilyPartners.com) and read two Indie comics: The Authority #1 (2005) and Divinity #1 (2015).
WARNING: This episode contains language and descriptions of acts that may be offensive to some listeners during the discussion of the second comic book (The Authority) due to its content.
- Wine #1: Edoardo Miroglio 'EM' Mavrud 2015, history of Bulgarian wine, Khan Krum the Fearsome, drinking from the skulls of your enemies, the story of Mavrud, wine regions of Bulgaria
- Comic #1: Divinity #1 (2005), digital vs print, free digital comics with purchase of print, the harsh reality of space travel, Valiant, Bloodshot, Deathblow, John Woo, Hard Boiled, Face/Off, Broken Arrow
- Wine #2: Rossidi Rubin 2017, a bit about hybrid and cross variety grapes, wtf is up with pepper, Game of Thrones yet again, movie theaters during COVID, HBO Max, Wonder Woman 84, drive-ins, COVID numbers and precautions
- Comic #2: The Authority #1 (2005), lots of offensive language, who is Kev?, revisit to the Mavrud
- Wine #3: Orbelus Orelek Sandanski Misket 2018, biodynamic craziness that actually works, descriptor terms that are correct but sound terrible
5. Dark Knights, Dark Wines
Mike and Joey taste Oak Mountain Winery Cabernet Franc, Oak Mountain Winery Malbec, and Temecula Hills Syrah while reading Batman: Dark Knights, Dark City for the Halloween season! Follow us on Twitter at @GrapesNCapes or go to our website GrapesandCapes.com
- Prologue: Newbury Comics, Halloween costumes
- Wine #1: more on phylloxera, Oak Mountain Winery Cabernet Franc 2016, mystery delivery
- Comic #1: "Dark Knights, Dark City" Part 1
- Wine #2: Oak Mountain Winery Malbec 2016, the run down on Malbec
- Comic #3: "Dark Knights, Dark City" Part 2, concussions vs killing
- Wine #3: Temecula Hills Estate Syrah 2016, why cooler and hotter climates effect profiles
- Comic #4: "Dark Knights, Dark City" Part 3
4. Beer with Brad
Joey is joined with Brad as we crack open beers and talk about Magic: The Gathering, video games, and comic book movies.
TOPICS: Our tastes in beer, Cape Cod Beer, Breweries on Cape Cod, Allagash, Austrian wine scandal, Magic: The Gathering, the Walking Dead infecting Magic, stolen heartbreak, Suicide Squad kill the Justice League, Gotham Knights, who is Red Hood / Jason Todd, the legend of Robin, Three Jokers, the G&C Logo, Spider-Man movies, Marvel on Disney Plus, Marvel Studio phase 4, DC multiverses, a DC fan kisses Marvel's ass and a Marvel fan kisses DC's ass, WCW and WWF, Royal Rumble at the Fleet Center, Falcon & Winter Soldier, more on Marvel shows on Disney Plus, the future of Thor, Marvel vs DC in printed comics, publishing content, the best Joker, 80's classics, high school hindsight, The Suicide Squad, Ostrander's Suicide Squad & Deadshot: Beginnings, HBO Max, Raised by Wolves, Disney Plus yet again, Cosmos, 9/11 Tribute Comic, The Boys TV show, maaaaaybe a Potcast???, Parents Advocating Cape Kids Safety
3. Robots Don't Eat Cookies
Michael and Joey read The Ultimates #1 and Vision #1 while tasting Oak Farm Vineyards Fiano, La Crema Sonoma Chardonny, and Banshee Rosé. Wines provided by Colangelo & Partners.
- Wine #1: Oak Farm Vineyards Fiano 2018/2019, sitting on the leese
- Comics #1: The Ultimates #1 (2002)
- Wine #2: La Crema Sonoma Coast Chardonnay 2018, New World wine vs Old World wine, effects of oak, what is Zinfandel
- Comics #2: Vision #1 (2015), Tom King's Batman, War of Jokes and Riddles, Tom King's comicsgate controversy, Scarlet Witch
- Wine #3: Banshee Rosé, how they make pink wine, orange wine, dry rosé vs sweet rosé
- Comics #3: the death of Deadshot, DC Universe Infinite, HBO Max, call Tony Stark at 212-970-4133, Marvel getting cosmic
2. Two Hands & Two-Face
Joey and Michael spend Episode Two tasting wines by Two Hands and talking about Two Face and DC Fandome Part Two.
Prologue: Thank you to Brad, more about Comically Speaking
- Wine #1: Two Hands Sexy Beast Cabernet Sauvignon 2018, thank you to Donna White Communications, McClaren Vale vs Barossa Valley, Shiraz vs Syrah
- Comics #1: Two-Face
Harvey's comic debut, Batman Forever, The Dark Knight, (Infinity War, Chadwick Boseman, Black Panther), Batman vs Two-Face animate movie, Batman: The Animated Series, Eye of the Beholder, The Long Halloween, Hush, Tomasi's Detective Comics
- Wine #2: Two Hands Angel's Share Shiraz 2018, Australian wine laws, misleading wine lables, wine ratings
- Comics #2: DC Fandome 2, part 1
Black Adam, Man of Steel, Doom Patrol, Harley Quinn Q&A, Magic Wheelchair, Immortal Vigilante: Hooded Justice, CW'S Batwoman & The Flash
- Wine #3: Two Hands Gnarly Dudes Shiraz 2018
- Comics #3: DC Fandome 2, part 2
Three Jokers, Geoff Johns controversy, Joker War, confusing Tomasi with Tynion, (Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man), DCeased, Good Day to Die, Unkillables, Hope at World's End, DCeased: Dead Planet, Superman panel, Brian Michael Bendis, Death of Superman, Reign of Superman, Death and Reign animated movies, The Killing Joke
1. DC Fandome & Bogaty Family Winery
It's the first episode of the Grapes & Capes Podcast, where Mike and Joey nerd out about comics and wine. We taste three wines from Virginia's Bogaty Family Winery, discuss our "origin stories" for becoming comic book readers and wine drinkers, and of course squeal like little girls over the huge DC Fandome online event!
- Wine #1: "The Founder" White Blend (non-vintage) , wine in Virginia, what is Bordeaux
- Comics #1: Our Origin Stories
How we became comic readers and wine drinkers
- Wine#2: "The Founder" Red Blend (non-vintage), the history of vitis vinifera and phylloxera
- Comics #2: DC Fandome
Wonder Woman 1984, (Bloodshot, Game of Thrones), The Suicide Squad (The Harley Quinn Show, Swamp Thing, Justice League Apokolips), Flashpoint, (Batman '89), Zack Snyder's Justice League, Black Adam, (wrestling), The Batman
- Wine #3: Justin Bogaty Winemaker Series Cabernet Franc 2019, grapes making babies, old wine, Truro Vineyards
- Comics #3: What we're reading & misc discussion
The Spectacular Spider-Man, Superman: Blackout, Immortal Hulk, Secret Six, Undiscovered Country, Once & Future, Comically Speaking, comic book shops during the COVID Crisis, Newbury Comics, the return of Milestone