Green Neighbour: Climate News and AnalysisJun 20, 2023
Episode 10: Does Canada Get a Free Pass on Climate?
There is no doubt that climate change is ramping up. We’re seeing more dramatic impacts of global warming every day, all around the world, but, do Canadians need to take any responsibility for all of this?
After all, the population of Canada is quite small compared to many other countries. In fact, Canada is only responsible for about 2% of the world’s total greenhouse gas emissions, so do Canadians get a free pass on our responsibility to take swift and decisive action on climate change?
This is the question that we’ll be exploring today on Green Neighbour.
Please Note: A video version of this episode can be found at: https://youtu.be/xSm5-iZVx4s
Episode 9: Tesla Cuts Prices
After hearing about Tesla’s recent worldwide price cuts, I thought I would share this news and discuss why this is such an important development with respect to sustainable transportation and, indeed, climate change. In addition, in the Analytical Tools and Resources segment, we look at a tool that can quickly and easily help you distinguish fact from disinformation. Finally, in the Taking Action segment, we look at a number of different ways anyone can reduce their personal transportation emissions.
Analytical Tools and Resources:
- Tesla, Canadian Government Incentives (Tesla.com): https://www.tesla.com/en_ca/support/incentives
- Government of Canada, iZEV eligible vehicles (Government of Canada): https://tc.canada.ca/en/road-transportation/innovative-technologies/zero-emission-vehicles/light-duty-zero-emission-vehicles/eligible-vehicles
- Tesla's Massive Price Cuts Send Shockwaves Across Auto Industry (InsideEVs): https://insideevs.com/news/632699/tesla-massive-price-cuts-shocks-auto-industry
- Tesla’s Price Cuts Are Roiling the Car Market (Wall Street Journal): https://www.wsj.com/articles/teslas-price-cuts-are-roiling-the-car-market-11674327793
- Tesla Price Cuts Are Already Disrupting The Industry (Autospies): https://autospies.com/news/index.aspx?submissionid=114117
- US Car Market Shrunk In 2022 But EV Sales Went Up By Two Thirds (InsideEVs): https://insideevs.com/news/631980/us-ev-market-share-increased-2022/#:~:text=EVs%20accounted%20for%205.8%20percent,to%2065%20percent%20in%202022
- Tesla Model 3 becomes best-selling premium sedan in the world (Electrek): https://electrek.co/2021/04/26/tesla-model-3-becomes-best-selling-premium-sedan-in-the-world
- Tesla Model Y and Model 3 post impressive sales in UK’s December auto market (Teslarati): https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-y-model-3-dominate-uk-auto-market-december/#:~:text=In%20the%20UK's%20battery%20electric,saw%2019%2C071%20sales%20in%202022
- Carbon dioxide emissions from passenger cars worldwide from 2000 to 2020 (Statista): https://www.statista.com/statistics/1107970/carbon-dioxide-emissions-passenger-transport
- Sources of Greenhouse Gas Emissions (EPA): https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/sources-greenhouse-gas-emissions#:~:text=Total%20Emissions%20in%202020%20%3D%205%2C981,of%20these%20greenhouse%20gas%20emissions
- Sources of Greenhouse Gas Emissions (EPA - Transportation): https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/sources-greenhouse-gas-emissions#transportation
- What will it cost to cut the carbon footprint of cars sold in the U.S? (Argonne National Laboratory): https://www.anl.gov/article/what-will-it-cost-to-cut-the-carbon-footprint-of-cars-sold-in-the-us#:~:text=A%20new%20study%20led%20by,the%20lifetime%20of%20the%20vehicle
- Here’s every electric vehicle that qualifies for the current US federal tax credit (Electrek): https://electrek.co/2023/01/03/which-electric-vehicles-still-qualify-for-us-federal-tax-credit
- Tesla Growth and Production Statistics: How Many Vehicles Are Sold Across the Globe? (investing.com) https://www.investing.com/academy/statistics/tesla-facts
- Could the Tesla Model Y be the best selling vehicle of 2023? (Teslarati): https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-y-best-selling-2023
- Tesla Production Sites By Model Assignment, Capacity, October 2022 (InsideEVs): https://insideevs.com/news/617854/tesla-production-sites-model-assignment-october2022
- Were These Electric Cars Abandoned Because
Episode 8: Does Ontario Really Need More Gas-Fired Power Plants?
Take the Pledge for Climate Action (Ontario Green Party petition to Doug Ford to stop funding oil and gas projects): https://gpo.ca/climate/take-the-pledge/?source=C22.TTP.E.BTN
Doug Ford government spent $231M to scrap green energy projects: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/doug-ford-green-energy-wind-turbines-cancelled-230-million-1.5364815
Why all of Canada will pay for Doug Ford’s choice to cancel Ontario’s cap-and-trade program: https://thenarwhal.ca/koch-sues-canada/
Ontario could be entering an energy supply crisis. Here’s what you need to know: https://thenarwhal.ca/ontario-electricity-grid/
Ontario’s Coal Phase out: Lessons from a massive climate achievement: https://www.cleanairalliance.org/ontarios-coal-phase-out-lessons-from-a-massive-climate-achievement/
Costing the Cancellation of Cap and Trade: https://youtu.be/0y0nXLwQDJk
Metrolinx removes electric vehicle chargers from GO station parking lots: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/metrolinx-ev-charging-stations-1.4972890
Electricity Systems Operator’s 2021 outlook: https://www.ieso.ca/en/Sector-Participants/Planning-and-Forecasting/Annual-Planning-Outlook
Ontario’s Electricity Options: A Cost Comparison: https://www.cleanairalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/options2022nov.pdf
Does Ontario Need New Gas Plants? https://www.cleanairalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/New-Gas-fact-or-fiction-sheet-oct-18-v_02.pdf
Ontario’s Distributed Energy Resources (DER) Potential Study (The Dunsky Report): https://www.ieso.ca/-/media/Files/IESO/Document-Library/engage/derps/derps-20220930-final-report-volume-1.ashx
IESO Annual Planning Outlook (Ontario’s electricity system needs: 2023-2042): https://www.ieso.ca/-/media/Files/IESO/Document-Library/planning-forecasts/apo/Dec2021/2021-Annual-Planning-Outlook.ashx
IESO Recommends Shift to Grid-Scale Storage in Ontario, Relying on Natural Gas Expansions to Ensure Reliability in Near-Term: https://www.ieso.ca/Corporate-IESO/Media/News-Releases/2022/10/Grid-Scale-Storage-in-Ontario-Natural-Gas-Expansions-to-Ensure-Reliability-in-Near-Term
Distributed Energy Resources: https://www.ieso.ca/en/Learn/Ontario-Electricity-Grid/Distributed-Energy-Resources
Why is Ontario spending billions on nuclear energy when cheap renewables are available? https://sppga.ubc.ca/wp-content/uploads/sites/5/2021/10/Why-is-Ontario-spending-billions-on-nuclear-energy-when-cheap-renewables-are-available_-%E2%80%93-Canadian-Dimension.pdf
Written and narrated by Art Lightstone
Feels, by Patrick Patrikios
As Time Passes, by Zapsplat
Atmospheria, by Francis Preve
Investigations, by Kevin MacLeod
Movement, by Dave Miles
Half Cool, by Gemini
Dulce Reggaeton, by An Jone
Cryogenic, by Zapslat
No pressure, by Zapsplat
Rapid Turnaround, by Zapsplat
Deep in Thought, by Zapsplat
Still Learning, by Dave Miles
Exploring, by Zapsplat
Make You Move, by Ofshane
Episode 7: Preparing for a Climate Strike - Six Key Steps
In preparation for the upcoming Global Climate Strike, I thought I would go over six key steps that one might like to consider before heading out to demonstrate on behalf of the climate.
CONTENTS OF THIS PODCAST:
00:00 - Introduction
00:30 - Step 1: Logistics
02:02 - Step 2: Make Your Sign
04:27 - Step 3: Tell Your Friends
04:50 - Step 4: Spread the Word on Social Media
06:02 - Step 5: Learn About Climate Change
06:55 - Step 6: Share the Action on Social Media
07:33 - Thanks for Watching!
• Web: www.green-neighbour.com
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/ArtLightstone
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/GreenNeighbour
• Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/greenneighbour
• LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/artlightstone
Episode 6: Exploring the IPCC AR6 Working Group 3 Report
In this episode of Green Neighbour, I explore the latest IPCC Report, which is the Working Group III report from the Sixth Assessment cycle.
In addition, I discuss some analytical tools and resources that you can use whenever you might encounter a case of climate denial.
Finally, I share my personal experience with a form of climate action you might be interested in trying, and that is the use of an electric tankless hot water heater.
Notes and Resources:
Climate Change 2022: Mitigation of Climate Change (IPCC AR6 Working Group III, Summary for Policy Makers): https://report.ipcc.ch/ar6wg3/pdf/IPCC_AR6_WGIII_SummaryForPolicymakers.pdf
Climate Change 2022: Mitigation of Climate Change (IPCC AR6 Working Group III, Full Report): https://report.ipcc.ch/ar6wg3/pdf/IPCC_AR6_WGIII_FinalDraft_FullReport.pdf
IPCC Member Nations: https://www.ipcc.ch/site/assets/uploads/2019/02/ipcc_members.pdf
Top Oil Producing Nations: https://www.worldometers.info/oil/oil-production-by-country/
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration: https://www.noaa.gov/
The National Aeronautic and Space Administration: https://www.nasa.gov/
Ernst versus Encana (Overview of Judge William Smith’s Ruling against 21 Oil Companies in 2019): https://www.ernstversusencana.ca/rhode-island-vs-21-oil-gas-companies-judge-william-smith-characterized-operations-leading-to-displacement-death-extinctions-even-and-destruction/
Judge William Smith Ruling, District of Rhode Island, 07/22/2019: https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/FullText-29.pdf
THE CLIMATE DENIAL MACHINE: HOW THE FOSSIL FUEL INDUSTRY BLOCKS CLIMATE ACTION: https://www.climaterealityproject.org/blog/climate-denial-machine-how-fossil-fuel-industry-blocks-climate-action
Why people still believe climate change is fake… and why we know they're wrong, by the University of Hull: https://www.hull.ac.uk/special/blog/why-people-still-believe-climate-change-is-fake-and-why-we-know-theyre-wrong
Joint statement between institutional investors on behalf of Climate Action 100+ and Royal Dutch Shell plc (Shell): https://www.shell.com/media/news-and-media-releases/2018/joint-statement-between-institutional-investors-on-behalf-of-climate-action-and-shell.html
The Energy Podcast, by Shell Oil:
Exxon Mobil Climate Change web page: https://corporate.exxonmobil.com/Sustainability/Environmental-protection/Climate-change
Episode 5: Exploring the Oil Divestment Movement
The international climate community will be mobilizing for the second time in as many months in another coordinated effort to take decisive action on climate change. This time, however, it’s not the government that will be the target of these demonstrations... it’s the banks.
Analytical Tools and Resources:
BankTrack website: www.banktrack.org
BankTrack listing of banks and their respective fossil fuel investment: https://www.banktrack.org/search#category=banks
Banking on Climate Chaos, Fossil Fuel Finance Report, 2021: https://www.banktrack.org/download/banking_on_climate_chaos_2021/bocc__2021_vf_1.pdf
BankBonus website: BankBonus.com
Bank Bonus List of Top 15 socially responsible banks: https://bankbonus.com/best/socially-responsible-banks/
In Canada, find a credit union using the Canadian Credit Union Association’s “Find a Credit Union” tool: https://ccua.com/about-credit-unions/find-a-credit-union/
CANADA’S BANKS AND FOSSIL FUELS, Stand.Earth: https://www.stand.earth/climate-finance/canada%E2%80%99s-banks-and-fossil-fuels
Divestment Report 2021, Stand.Earth: https://www.stand.earth/sites/stand/files/divestinvestreport2021.pdf
Banks Always Backed Fossil Fuel Over Green Projects—Until This Year, May 19, 2021: https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2021-wall-street-banks-ranked-green-projects-fossil-fuels/
Six of Canada’s Largest Banks Join United-Nations-convened Net-Zero Banking Alliance, October 15, 2021: https://about.bmo.com/blog/six-of-canadas-largest-banks-join-united-nations-convened-net-zero-banking-alliancex-of-canadas-largest-banks-join-united-nations-convened-net-zero-banking-alliance/?ecid=us-FEAT2405BRND1-EZBMO3219
Episode 4: Climate Strike Season is Upon Us
Climate strike season is upon us, so let’s discuss two upcoming opportunities for you to get out, demonstrate on behalf of the planet, and play a role in making history.
Climate Strike Links:
Canada is on Fire, 350.org: https://350.org/still-on-fire/
Canada is Still on Fire: Newmarket Day of Action: https://www.green-neighbour.com/activism/canada-is-still-on-fire-newmarket-day-of-action
Fridays For Future: https://fridaysforfuture.org/
Global Climate Strike (Hosted by 350.org): https://globalclimatestrike.net/
Notes and Resources:
Natural resources Canada, National Wildland Fire Situation Report: https://cwfis.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca/report
United States National Interagency Fire Centre:
Number of deaths recorded during B.C.'s heat wave up to 808, coroners say, CTV News: https://bc.ctvnews.ca/number-of-deaths-recorded-during-b-c-s-heat-wave-up-to-808-coroners-say-1.5512723
Episode 3: My Christmas gift to you... the secret to a filling, satisfying vegan breakfast
I got the crazy idea of putting together a quick, freestyle, Christmas episode wherein I could give, perhaps, a few folks out there a simple Green Neighbour Christmas gift, AND give some folks an opportunity to give each other a Christmas gift as well.
As my gift, I thought I would share the secret to a filling, satisfying vegan breakfast.
Notes and Resources:
The truth about fats: the good, the bad, and the in-between: https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/the-truth-about-fats-bad-and-good
Episode 2: The Age of Climate Denial is Dead
The age of climate denial is dead. Not everybody knows it yet, but, at this point in time, the days of climate denial are clearly numbered. Of this, there is no doubt.
Notes and Resources:
State of California vs. BP, Chevron, Conocophillips, Exxon Mobil, & Royal Dutch Shell, US District Court, Northern District Of California, March 21, 2018 https://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.com/2018/03/exxon-chevron-3-21-18globalwh.pdf
Judge rules against oil companies to keep climate liability case in Rhode Island https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/454203-judge-rules-against-oil-companies-to-keep-climate-liability-case-in
Robert Brulle, Institutionalizing delay: foundation funding and the creation of U.S. climate change counter-movement organizations: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/263114280_Institutionalizing_Delay_Foundation_Funding_and_the_Creation_of_US_Climate_Change_Counter-Movement_Organizations
Interview with Robert Brulle: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/robert-brulle-inside-the-climate-change-countermovement/
Merchants of Doubt: How a Handful of Scientists Obscured the Truth on Issues from Tobacco Smoke to Climate Change, Naomi Oreskes and Erik M. Conway https://www.amazon.ca/Merchants-Doubt-Handful-Scientists-Obscured/dp/1608193942
Big Oil’s Real Agenda on Climate Change: https://influencemap.org/report/How-Big-Oil-Continues-to-Oppose-the-Paris-Agreement-38212275958aa21196dae3b76220bddc
Shell, The Energy Podcast (Episode 5): Why doesn't Shell stop producing oil and gas? https://www.shell.com/inside-energy/the-energy-podcast.html
Direct link to Shell's "The Energy Podcast" (Episode 5): Why doesn't Shell stop producing oil and gas? on Apple Podcasts: https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/why-doesnt-shell-stop-producing-oil-and-gas/id1458208265?i=1000441352731
Exxon Mobil's Climate Change webpage: https://corporate.exxonmobil.com/Sustainability/Environmental-protection/Climate-change
Radio EcoShock with Alex Smith, https://www.ecoshock.org/podcasts
Stop Ecocide: www.StopEcocide.Earth
Cleaner Air : Gas Mower Pollution Facts: https://www.peoplepoweredmachines.com/faq-environment.htm
Episode 1: What's the big deal with a few degrees of warming?
Have you ever wondered, "How on Earth could a 1°C increase in global temperature make any kind of difference?"
Well, if you have, you're not alone.
Plenty of people think that a mere 1°C or 2°C of warming actually sounds pretty nice. This episode looks at why increases in global temperature of just a few degrees can be, well - in a word - catastrophic.
Links and Resources
- James Temple (2019) One man’s two-decade quest to suck greenhouse gas out of the sky: Klaus Lackner’s once wacky idea increasingly looks like an essential part of solving climate change. MIT Technology Review. https://www.technologyreview.com/2019/02/27/136958/one-mans-two-decade-quest-to-suck-greenhouse-gas-out-of-the-sky/
- Daily CO2 Readings: www.co2.earth
- Learning about Carbon Isotopes: https://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/isotopes/
- US Environmental Protection Agency, Sources of GHG emissions: https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/sources-greenhouse-gas-emissions
- Exploring the health implications of going vegan: The Change Makers (Netflix)
Green Neighbour Introduction
When it comes to the environment, we are all neighbours.