The Content Career ShowMay 01, 2023
Diego Graglia's unique journey to content design
Diego Graglia, a Content Designer at Netflix, shares how he broke into content design, some of the things that he and his team work on, what young writers can do to build up their skills and discover their niche within content, and much more.
• :25 His path to content design
• 2:40 What content designers work on
• 4:55 How content designers can make a big impact
• 11:00 What came easy and what proved more difficult when breaking into tech
• 15:25 His advice for young professionals in content
• 18:35 His perspective on ChatGPT and future advances in AI
Jimmy Daly's advice on when you should work in-house vs. at an agency
Jimmy Daly, the Co-Founder and CEO of Superpath, walks us through his early experiences in content, his opinions on when content marketers should work in-house or go the agency route, how he came up with the idea of SuperPath, and much more.
• :20 His early days in content
• 5:30 The pros and cons of working in-house versus at an agency
• 10:30 Lesson's learned from working in sales
• 18:30 The journey in coming up with and launching Superpath
• 24:20 How content marketers should think about and use ChatGPT
Kane Jamison's tips for persuading management to invest beyond SEO content
Kane Jamison, the Founder of Content Harmony, broke down the ingredients that make for a successful content marketer, what you can do to convince management to go beyond SEO content, some tactics for using chatGPT to elevate your content, and more.
• :20 The ingredients that make for a successful content marketer
• 5:00 How to convince management to invest beyond SEO content
• 15:30 The steps to honing your craft in content
• 21:30 How to find the best individuals to learn from over time
• 23:25 How ChatGPT will co-exist with Google
• 26:30 What you can do to set your content apart from anything that's produced by AI
• 29:30 Ways to leverage ChatGPT to improve your content production process
Alex Birkett's approach to mastering podcasting
Alex Birkett, a Cofounder of Omniscient Digital, walked through the reasons that he and his team invested in podcasting, how they’ve improved their podcasting chops over time, and why their show, The Long game podcast, has been crucial in growing their agency. He also shared his thoughts on the future of AI technologies, like GPT-3 and ChatGPT, and how content marketers can leverage them to bolster their production process.
• :30 Why his agency decided to invest in podcasting
• 4:30 What he does to develop his podcasting skills
• 6:26 How his show supports his agency
• 13:08 How tools like ChatGPT will transform content marketing and impact search engines
• 17:30 His experience in leveraging AI to scale content production
• 23:52 The skills content marketers should focus on building
Ryan Baum's approach to growing his network and finding invaluable mentors
During our interview, Ryan Baum, the Content Marketing Manager at Gorgias, broke down the following (and much more!):
- How he identifies the content marketers he wants to connect to (and how he then positions his messages)
- Why connecting with peers has been just as valuable as engaging with more seasoned content marketers
- How he's been able to muster the confidence to reach out to the content marketers he admires
- What he does to keep up with thought leaders' content (which includes folks within and adjacent to the content marketing industry)
How Ryan Caruthers kickstarted his career in content during the pandemic
Ryan Carruthers, a Content Marketing Manager at Together Software, a SaaS mentorship platform, talks us through all of the following (and much more):
- Why he decided to pursue a career in content
- What he did to stand out from other candidates and land his first in-house content role
- The specific groups he's joined to learn from his peers and find his mentors
- What he wishes he knew coming out of college
Introducing: The Content Career Show
Every couple of weeks, I'll interview a successful content marketer—or ex-content marketer—to better understand their professional journey, keys to success, and thought process when navigating critical points in their career.
Whether you're looking to break into content, advance within it, or move into another function, this show will provide the guidance you're looking for.