Spark Faith Podcast Christian Women Faith Health Beauty, Celebrate Yourself and Everyday Heroes
By Kris Sargent
In my private practice, all virtual now, I start with gut health and, at the same time address whole body health. The body is the temple, and women can learn to take care of it, optimally, without guilt and shame. As a physician, I have practiced alternative medicine for almost 30 years.
Spark Faith Podcast Christian Women Faith Health Beauty, Celebrate Yourself and Everyday HeroesMay 16, 2023
Healed From PTSD: A Life Transformed
We covered a lot of ground in this inspiring interview! Rekishia McMillan, honorably discharged from the Air Force, suffered from PTSD from a horrible military accident, that created anxiety, digestive disorders and chronic fatigue and pain. She went on to discover lifestyle and functional medicine to heal and become vibrant, with a new career! She knows all about transformation! Like me, Rekishia says, “I believe that it is God’s will for us to feel, look and live better. Somewhere along the way, Christians have disconnected their spirituality from physical health. This was never meant to be the case. We must get back to the divine blueprint for health. We were created with a spirit, soul and a body and in order to experience optimal health, all three components must be nurtured and cared for.” Rekishia McMillan has battled with her on personal demons of overcoming illness, doubt, fear and anxiety, some of which stemmed from negative childhood experiences and her military service. She shares her personal health journey and the frustration she experienced with the complexities of the healthcare system. Through her journey she discovered simple and natural ways of reversing the illnesses that were plaguing her world. By putting these same strategies to use, she helps women and men to experience vibrant health and renewed energy. In her book found on Amazon, Rock Your World Naturally: 7 Divine Keys to Unlock Extraordinary Health, Rekishia guides the reader to… Discover God’s plan for total health (body, soul and spirit) Crush the cycle of following ineffective fad diets Experience natural and lasting weight loss Learn how to become your own personal health advocate Achieve total alignment for your body soul and spirit Heighten your awareness of the earth through responsible stewardship Understand the relationship between your blood cells and divine health Identify and overcome hidden obstacles that are wrecking your world – for good! For more information: www.rekishiamcmillan.com PODCAST
A Rock, a Hard Place, Miracles and Eating Spiders
Dr Kim Grom: A Rock, a Hard Place, Miracles and Eating Spiders We had a blast together! I hope you enjoy the many "AH-HA'S" Dr Grom brings to the party on this episode.
Dr Kim tells her journey from being mad at God to seeing miracles in her own life. She recounts her unprecedented healing from Lyme, sugar addiction, understanding her own triggers of addiction, and the one thing she would rather eat spiders than ever do…She spans the discomfort of GAP of the journey from where you are to where you want to be. And how God shows up in the most unlikely ways in your life. She was told she would be in a wheelchair the rest of her life, and God changed everything. She is as passionate about nutrition and all natural medicine as she is about her faith. ENJOY Y'ALL!Dr Kris Website: https://www.drkimgrom.com She is also on FB and IG
Alopecia, Beauty, Music and Faith with Becky Newson
Meet Becky Newson!! Her goals are to bless, Inspire, and help women build a business in Mary Kay AND to use music, Mary Kay and her faith to engage the world in what Alopecia Areata is and to contribute to finding a cure. Favorite verse: Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Mt 6:34http://www.beckyhibbs.com/http://www.marykay.com/rnewson IG: @BeckyHibbsNewson About Becky: I'm from Snyder county, Middleburg, PA. Also known as the "middle of nowhere". While I lived there I couldn't wait to leave, but now I enjoy going back. I lived on 15 acres of fields and woods. I grew up hunting and fishing with my dad, riding dirt bike with my brother, skiing with my friends, singing and playing music at church and other events, and the list goes on. A main characteristic of me is that I'm bald. I have Alopecia Areata Universalis which is an immune system disease that causes hair loss. I've had it since I was 2 years old so I honestly don't mind talking about it. In fact I want you to ask me about it! I wear hairpieces sometimes ( I have 7 different ones), but a lot of times you'll see me without it around Nashville. I LOVE my family. I have a younger brother and sister and two amazing parents. I love nature. I love music. I love my friends and meeting new people. I love seeing and doing new things, Spelunking, climbing, white water rafting...Im easy going and up for ANYTHING. Don't bring drama my way because I avoid as much of that as possible! Her goal for her life is to use music, Mary Kay and her faith to engage the world in what Alopecia Areata is and to contribute to finding a cure.
Candy Brown: Small Town to Empowering Women to Freedom and Peace
Growing up in a small town in Montana, Candy never dreamed she would be inspiring women everywhere to have freedom and peace in the lives. She tells her story of how owning her own business has made many dreams come true for other women, and in the process her dreams have also come true. So many women are islands and in Mary Kay they can find their true support system. Not a culture of competition but one of cooperation, continued growth and "if she can, so can I" attitudes! *You have to DO different to get DIFFERENT or in other words you have to Change something, to CHANGE SOMETHING. *Crete new habits *Figure out your BEST YES *Learn to dream again *Bedtime Blessings *Affirmations
Everyday Hero Steve Werner Victim to Hero
Steve Werner started his career on the trading floor as a bond trader, through difficult personal and financial stresses he has learned to choose to be his own hero instead of playing the victim.
You will be inspired by:
- His Spiritual Journey
- His Ability to Respond vs React
- His Victim to Hero Process
Get his FREE VICTIM TO HERO HANDBOOK on his website Hour of Champions
Join his Facebook group: Hour of Champions
Be Inspired. Struggling Single mom to Super Successful Biz, Health, Faith and Love: Nikki Watts
Nikki Watts went from a struggling single mom to a super successful business woman in just a few years. She tells about her mindset shift and how that impacted her journey from trying to make ends meet to becoming an award winning Realtor. Nikki brings a ton of energy to our party as she talks about her business, health and love journeys. You can find Nikki on TikTok, IG and FB and at Red Bird realty. https://www.redbirdrealtytn.com https://www.facebook.com/nikki.watts.7@nikkifromtiktok @nikkiwattsrealtor
Industry Insider Truths: Processed Food, Pharmaceuticals and Medicine with Kristy Dotson
Industry Insider Truths: Processed Food, Pharmaceuticals and Medicine
Kristy Dotson is amazing....From Engineer to Senior Food Ingredient Buyer to Wellness Consultant, Kristy Dotson exposes the truth about FDA approved ingredients, pharmaceuticals and how our medical system really isn’t about keeping us healthy.
Discovering Meaning with Dr Dan Franz
Dr Dan Franz and I covered a wide range of topics from Existential vacuum to the best way to cook a steak in an air fryer! LOL Seriously y’all, Dr Dan has 25 years of clinical counseling experience. He helps people navigate the intersection of mental health and meaning through Logotherapy. He is super smart, entertaining, hilarious and filled with Grace and Truth!
We dove into:
Looking for a new perspective on purpose and meaning?
How to REFRAME any circumstance FOR you
Some GUILT is Good…
What happens when you ignore the “spirit” part of yourself?
What is an Existential Vacuum?
Ever feel like…???
- Something is missing in your life?
- What you feel like on the inside and the face you show the world are very different?
- Anxiety and/or Depression just don’t go away despite your best efforts?
- When you get really honest with yourself, shame and guilt run your life?
- You don’t seem to be able to find the meaning and purpose for your life?
I totally have felt all those things in the past and struggle with a couple a little to this day. Wait until you listen to this interview! Dr Dan will give you a completely new perspective…
You can find Dr Dan at https://danielafranz.com
And his podcast is called The Meaning Project, everywhere podcasts are found
Xerosis: It's That time of the Year
Dry skin, also known as xerosis or xeroderma, has many causes, including cold or dry weather, sun damage, harsh soaps, and over-bathing.
Unfortunately our age can also cause a decrease in several components in our skin such as collagen, elastin, squalene,
- What does your skin do anyway???
We tend to focus on the visible signs of aging, but what does our skin do for us? And what changes with age in terms of functional that will not only lead to aging but also susceptibility of skin diseases/
FUNCTIONS: The functions of the skin include:
- Protection against microorganisms, dehydration, ultraviolet light, and mechanical damage; the skin is the first physical barrier that the human body has against the external environment.
- Sensation of pain, temperature, touch, and deep pressure starts with the skin.
- Mobility: The skin allows smooth movement of the body.
- Endocrine activity: The skin initiates the biochemical processes involved in Vitamin D production, which is essential for calcium absorption and normal bone metabolism.
- Exocrine activity: This occurs by the release of water, urea, and ammonia. Skin secretes products like sebum, sweat, and pheromones and exerts important immunologic functions by secreting bioactive substances such as cytokines.
- Immunity development against pathogens.
- Regulation of Temperature. Skin participates in thermal regulation by conserving or releasing heat and helps maintain the body’s water and homeostatic balance.
HOW IS IT PUT TOGETHER
- The epidermis, the outermost layer of skin, provides a waterproof barrier and contributes to skin tone.
- The dermis, found beneath the epidermis, contains connective tissue, hair follicles, blood vessels, lymphatic vessels, and sweat glands.
- The deeper subcutaneous tissue (hypodermis) is made of fat and connective tissue like elastic fibers, collagen.
What's the Beef with Beef?
Beef has gotten a bad wrap for a very long time.
Although sirloin and round cuts have only slightly higher amounts of saturated fat than chicken does…Beef has been vilified for a long time.
It’s been associated with type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol , high blood pressure and heart disease. But is the association true or are there other factors at play??
Why Oatmeal is such a bad idea!
Oatmeal is such a bad idea
Fast track to diabetes, PCOS, Hormone disruption and fatigue. Yes the lowly, and unassuming oatmeal can take credit for all of the above. Before you get all excited and offended because you LOVE your oatmeal, this is going to apply to only about 75% of yall.
Yep - most of you…
Are You Mineral Deficient? How do you know?
- High Blood pressure
- poor sleep quality
- Muscle spasms
- Eye twitches
- Loss of appetite
- Extreme fatigue
- Pale skin
- Chest pain, fast heartbeat or shortness of breath
- Headache, dizziness or lightheadedness
- Cold hands and feet
- Inflammation or soreness of your tongue
- Brittle nails
- hair loss
- brittle nails
- poor immune system
- loss of appetite
- low testosterone
- eye problems
- weight loss
- poor wound healing
- lack of taste and smell
The Happy Mud Puddle...
Oh to be a dog and just be happy in a mud puddle...
#75hard You Can Do More Than You Think!
What are you currently thinking there’s no way you could do that thing? However, there’s a part of you that wants to do that thing
What’s holding you back? Time? Money? Kids? Friends? Confidence? Poor Self Esteem?
I believe that our mental, emotional, physical and spiritual health are the cornerstones to living the BIGGEST life God has planned for us.
Our fear, shame, regret, guilt of the past may be the exact things that strengthen you for the journey of your dreams…AND
Fear, Shame, Guilt, Self loathing, belong on the cross
all belong on the cross
Our inside and outside need TO GO TOGETHER!
Shift Your PerSPECtive
Find one spec that you CAN do and start there
You CAN do that thing!
Post Menopause Weight Loss #75hard Lessons Learned
What #75hard taught me about post menopause weight loss
I’m so frustrated - I’m doing everything right, exercise and eating “right”
Hormones - Stress/cortisol/progesterone/estrogen
Food influences hormones
Exercise influences hormones
The Big O influences hormones
#75Hard, why would you do that?
Why did I do it?
Because as an entrepreneur I need to hold myself to the higher standard I expect of any of my clients. I would be a hypocrite if I asked someone to give up cheat meals or alcohol if I wasn’t willing to do it for myself.
I wanted to see how much stronger I could get, and if I could lose a few inches and a couple pounds
Menopause is so often used as the excuse for not really wanting to do the work.I wanted you to know I’m willing to do the work right there beside you.
Taking my coaching biz to the next level of speaking…where God has wanted me for so many years
God wanted more from me and now I realize I’m just at the beginning! I have so much more love to give!
Pain before pleasure
Self imposed expectations
Weight/Fat loss Post Menopause
Muscle definition can happen
It’s not too late for anything, ever!
135 Hours of exercise (108 minutes per day avg)
75 days of clean eating
1 gallon of water daily
Over 750 pages read
58 years young
I can be strong and feminine
My kids are impressed( not that it matters, still! )
I can do more than I thought
Got my first speaking gig
Had a record month(July) for this year in biz
Overcame my fear of rejection( mostly)
Are You B-Complex Deficient?
Top Symptoms You’re B-Vitamin Deficient?
mood and concentration
B-12 anemia - different from iron - LABS
Loss of appetite
Numbness and tingling
Energy production issues —> fatigue
Heart disease - homocysteine
Reasons: medications, stress, alcohol, ultra processed foods
MEDS that contribute to B-Complex deficiencies:
Tagamet Zantac Nexium TUMS
Diabetic drugs metformin
Blood pressure lowering drugs
Birth Control Pills
Are You the Obstacle? I know I have been...
Are you the obstacle? Todays podcast almost didn’t happen…
City gates—open wide! Ancient doors—stand back! For the glorious King shall soon pass your way.Psalm 24:7
The number of things that tried to keep me from getting this done today was astounding?
How do you react?
Do you use the circumstance as justification for your poor choices? Food or otherwise?
Do you take care of yourself and do what you promised yourself you would do?
When you take it in and slow down and pray and then respond Your life changes…right before your eyes - you can do HARD things…
What's Batch Cooking?
Okay Ladies - You're busy, you're taking care of kids in sports and dogs and significant others/spouses, you're working full time and you get home at 6pm and realize your dinner choices are pizza or some frozen chicken breasts. You're exhausted and as usual opt for the pizza. Then the guilts sets in about feeding your kids more healthy option and over time, your weight creeps up - UGH! there has to be a solution!
I get it - I used to default that way too!
In today's episode I am talking all things BATCH COOKING. What is it and why you need to try this technique to eat healthy more often and save time!
Best Foods For Healing Leaky Gut
Masterclass REPLAY Info: https://dr-kris-sargent.mykajabi.com/pl/2147604220
Best foods for Gut Health
No Processed foods
Food Sensitivities and Gut Healing
REFRAME: Get off the Plateau
Monday 25 July E49
GUT HEALTH MASTERCLASS INFO:
Get Unstuck and off the Plateau
Stuck: Fight - DROP CALORIESStart random diets but don’t stay on one long enough to see a differenceStart to make your own decisions without prayer Flee - QUIT Freeze - WE STOP DOING THE THINGS THAT WERE WORKING frustrated - Grind and force, feels like everything is a lot of work Anxious Believing all the lies of
REFRAME: Holding Pattern: YOUR BODY has to catch up to the changes you’re making Check your heading - are you ACTUALLY doing everything you’re supposed to be doing - Taking responsibility for the extra glass of wine or chips that slipped in Taking the necessary steps to get where you want to get, consistent action - the two primary predictors of predictor of healthy habit accountability and keeping track- , eyes focused on Jesus, doing the actual work
The Mediterranean diet VS Paleo for Gut Health
Friday 22 JulyE48 The Mediterranean VS Paleo for Gut Health
AUGUST 4 GUT HEALTH MASTERCLASS INFO: https://dr-kris-sargent.mykajabi.com/pl/2147604220
Both have advantages and lean into REAL food vs processed foods - one has fewer restrictions than the other.
Fastest way to heal your gut, control diabetes, lose weight, and decrease inflammation
Fasting…what is it? Abstaining from food
Why: Religious reasons
Type 2 diabetes - Jason Fung
Personal reasons- prayer and fasting
Intermittent Fasting - What is your goal? Wt loss/Clearer head/Neurological?/ Blood sugar
Not for me,
Great for some people
Not for everyone,
In my experience
Nutrition Label Hacks For All Day Energy
Want energy all day?
Here are the Nutrition Label Hacks you don't want to miss...
Create effortless meals and snacks for ENERGY all day
Move or Consequences? Which is harder?
Last week I talked about the decision to stay in your stuck spot. Not change your health habit and , not change your relationship AND live with the consequences What if you decided to MOVE FORWARD! How would you do that?
1. Get your mindset right. Remember you can only change you. You only have control over the things you think, the way you feel, what you say, and what you do. You cannot control other people, how they believe, think or respond.
2. Figure out your “why” - I dig into this deeply, and have an exercise that will take you to your “why”. One little secret, it will touch you emotionally. If you don’t get emotional about your “why”, you haven’t found it.
3. Get support
4. Create a plan
Holiday Weekend Stay Healthy tips
Friday July 1
SUMMER HOLIDAY WEEKEND FOOD TIPS
Remember the reason for the season and focus on fellowship, family and friends. IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT THE FOOD!
Holidays such as Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, or any picnic holiday can cause breakdowns in our otherwise healthy eating plan. It's extremely important to be very aware that picnics can pack thousands of calories that we would not normally indulge in. So, what should you do?
- Don't skip meals or "save" calories for the picnic. THAT SETS YOU UP TO OVEREAT LATER!
- If you're a guest, offer to bring a healthy appetizer and side dish. That way you can GUARANTEE ta choice for you
- Watch your portions and choose NOT to have the desert!! Instead, maybe bring a box of sugar free popsicles or fudgesicles to share.
- Keep your EXERCISE routine the day of the picnic. Try adding short brisk walks twice that day with available family members or the partygoers. Plan activities to stay moving such as croquet, bike riding or cornhole instead of just sitting around and talking.
- If you are throwing the party, have lots of vegetables available, instead of chips. Prepare lower-fat dips using Greek yogurt instead of mayo or sour cream and offer low sodium salsa.
- Communicate! Explain to your guests in advance your DETERMINATION to make this a healthier holiday celebration and ask them to keep this in mind when preparing any dish they may be bringing.
- Say NO to the high-calorie beverages such as sodas, juices, smoothies and blended coffee drinks. There are nearly 150 calories in one 12-ounce can of soda or juice. Smoothies and coffee drinks are often 250-500 calories, excluding whipped cream.
- ALCOHOL is full of calories and carbs. It can also cause you to let down your defenses and overeat or make poor food choices.
- Have a small meal BEFORE going to the picnic so you don't arrive starving... always plan ahead.
- At the picnic choose PICK PROTEIN FIRST. It’s the most filling thing you can eat. Choose healthy foods and stay away from the high-carb items like chips, breads, potato & pasta salad and corn, and remember to eat slowly, which will help you eat less and feel full and satisfied. HAVE YOUR BURGER WITHOUT THE ROLL!
- If the holiday party is at your house, SEND THE LEFTOVERS HOME with your guests, especially the desserts!!
- During holiday weekends, make your goal to MAINTAIN your weight and not to gain any!
AGAIN: BE POSITIVE! Don’t let your weight and cravings take control of you. Remember the reason for the season and focus on fellowship, family, friends and not on food. IT'S NOT ABOUT THE FOOD!
Have a Happy and Healthy Fourth of July and SUMMER!!!!
Lead With Love...Abortion: Too Important not to go LIVE...
Leading with love…regardless of where you fall on this issue, judgement of the other view is tearing our beautiful country apart. And acts of violence, to repay violence with violence, doesn’t solve anything.
- Women are shamed on both sides. The unwed woman who keeps her baby is judged just as harshly as the one who didn’t. There is pain and shame on both sides. More fear and hate directed to either side doesn’t change that, and feeds the shame. Neither woman feels supported or loved, as all humans deserve, particularly in such a difficult, emotional and deeply personal situation.
- I’ve kept my story basically secret for 41 years. I was terrified. I was told a baby would ruin my life. The shame of being a teen mom, was too much. At 17 years old, I couldn’t see any other option. I’ve done hundreds of hours of counseling, coaching and prayer. I have grieved all of it.
- I’ve asked for forgiveness. That baby is in the arms of Jesus and all of my sin is pinned to the Cross of Christ. Because He loves and forgives me in spite of all my failings. I no longer carry the shame and pain of an abortion. His love and mercy are great. And His Grace is endless. For all who seek it.
- I was ultimately blessed with two amazing children that have done nothing but make my life full. I could not be more grateful.
- Find love and compassion for both sides. Get curious. Have coffee. Ask the questions. Get to know the other person as a human. Learn their story and leave the judgement at home.
- All sides need support. The frightened mom, the baby, the families and the guy involved.
- Banning abortion doesn’t stop it from happening any more than Prohibition stopped alcohol consumption.
- Thank you Jim Dowell for representing both sides of this issue so beautifully. You gave me the courage to tell all...I have shared Jim Dowell's song Called Little Hearts everywhere I can...
The Most Common Thing I Hear About Food...Have the DTR Discussion
I’m an emotional eater….This is THE most common sentiment I hear from clients...
This happens about a month or two, a day or two, or even an hour or two into any program, and is one of the reasons people self sabotage - they just want some specific food...
1. Start to love your body because God loves you and you honor and respect him - changes everything
2. To the emotional eater - You can learn to stop it in the act. When would you want to stop a robbery? Before it happens or at the worst - in the middle of it before they do the damage. As an emotional eater - take back your control. Thoughts precede emotions - walk away from the pantry and the fridge as soon as you realize you are eating emotionally - WALK AWAY!
3. As you go, throw away whatever item you were eating…
4. Not there yet - wrap your head around this. would want their body to be less than QUALITY!!?? Your car burns gas and uses oil - nothing emotional about that Our body burns carbs/fats and proteins and uses carbs fats and proteins to repair itself. The quality of the three will determine the quality of your body. It’s easier to chose healthy when you think about it this way. You would want your body to be less than QUALITY!!??
5. Need to have a DTR talk with Food. You CAN take control of this…
Leaky Gut and Your Skin
Food: Gluten? Dairy?
Good bugs vs Bad bugs?
Staying Stuck? Is that Your Choice?
Last week We talked about whether the pain of staying where you are with a certain painful thing in your life is harder than the change required to move beyond that thing.
Maybe you're avoiding a relationship change that needs to happen or maybe youre ignoring a health issue
SO lets go down the road that you have decided NOT to change anything…Let’s start with the rule that you can only change yourself.
1. So, if you’re avoiding a change in a relationship, you won’t be able to change the other person.
2. If this is a health issue, like weight, type 2 diabetes, a gut issue, inflammation, autoimmune, - That’s on you…
3. Your mental health is also on you. You can keep blaming everyone around you, and you continue to respond in the same old way -That’s fine 4. Let me ask you a couple questions: if you don’t change….
- Where will those issues be in 6 months?
- Will the relationship be better or worse or gone entirely?
- What about that nagging health issue?
- If you don’t do anything about for the next year, 5 years from now, 10 years from now…what will happen?
- Do you think you'll be able to reverse it in 10 years if it's difficult now?
- If you don’t change, what changes?
Are all Carbs the Same?
Quick answer is NO!
Ultraprocessed foods that don’t look anything like the original form of food. Think sausage vs a piece of protein; or bread vs whole grain quinoa or rice; or ultra processed fat vs clean extra virgin olive oil; veggies vs no veggies whatsoever…
Most nuggets of anything, fried, stuffed, breaded,
These kinds of foods - mostly carbs very little protein or anything else - the worst - actually suck nutrients out of your body as your body has to work extra hard to detox them , and these foods feed your inflammation, so your body is busy making inflammatory chemistry instead of healing you.
Root veggies - potatoes, carrots, rutabagas, turnips parsnips, sweet potatoes
Less Complex/ Lower Carb
The rest...broccoli cauliflower,
The Challenge: Feel Different in 5 Days
- When was the last time you challenged yourself and won?
- What if you had all the best conditions to win?
- Would you want that information?
- Do you need motivation?
- Are you super frustrated with a certain thing in your health?
- You know you need accountability, but not judgement. I am the Judgement free zone This challenge is going to be set up so you can learn the absolute maximum amount in 5 days. You will make changes you never knew and will have a new level of awareness…that will propel you to continue to make the changes you’ve started. The first thing I’m going to put out there for all of you who join us is a free one hour call…Once the challenge is over, you will need a personalized plan
- Well, thats exactly what I’m up to in my Facebook Group: Spark Yourself: Body For God https://www.facebook.com/groups/sparkyourself
- I’m planning a challenge in my group to get your summer started off right and show you exactly what confidence feels like. For Five Days we are going to do some hard things.
Which is Harder? Pain of Regret or Discipline?
The last three Mondays we talked about making and keeping promises to ourselves, what happens when we don’t and the fact that our self confidence/esteem/value all goes down when we don’t keep promises to ourselves .
So, Which is harder? *Keeping the promise or living with in your current pain?
*What do you want your life to look like? *WHAT DO YOU think GOD wants your life to look like?
*Is NOT keeping promises to yourself interfering in your relationships?
*Are those around you starting to not trust what you say you're going to do for yourself because you always flake on yourself?
What needs to change? Where is the pain? Weight loss, ending a relationship, staying in a relationship,
There is a technical term for this - delayed gratification…we should all be learning to delay gratification. This is a skill developed between the ages of 8 and 13. So, you may be running programs about delaying gratification that you were taught or caught from your parents during that age. I talked extensively about this in another podcast.
Going Gluten Free? Overwhelmed with where to start???
Overwhelmed with where to start your Gluten Free journey
1. What is your main health goal. For many it’s weight loss. However, if you’ve been sick for a while that might not happen. Your body has to heal first. It’s in survival mode and isn’t going to release any weight until it’s sure it’s healthy
2. Most clients try substitution first; GF doesn’t equal carb free
3. Best way is to substitute veggies. Lettuce wraps for sandwiches and burgers; fall squash, sweet potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes vs pasta; spaghetti squash, hearts of palm noodles zucchini noodles for pasta.
4. The basic diet…
To Be Right OR Love and Be Loved?
- The Process… then the Solution
Resentment: Pool of emotions that have never really been looked at; manifests as Negative self talk; anger/anxiety/depression/gut: constipation/diarrhea/IBS; You’ve convinced yourself of all your negative thoughts
Resistance: The gap between what is in reality and what we think it should be or what we expect it to be: Defend your position, Feel disconnected, lack intimacy, holding people at arms length; our immune system can start to turn on ourselves as we hold in the toxic emotions
Revenge: You no longer can identify your dreams, you feel flat, your health has probably spiraled to a low point
- Honest Self Responsible Communication - we have to own our own behavior - whatever it is - from overeating, to being the victim
- Acceptance - must give up being right
- Self Forgiveness
Committed to Yourself or Not?
What are you committed to? So, if you’re like I was - I kept promises to myself way less thanI kept my word to others - For so long I hid behind people pleasing, traffic, getting busy, got overwhelmed, the inevitable “something happened and I…”
It’s like having a cloud over your head though right? What does it feel like when you let yourself down? - I’d love to know how it makes you feel...
Proverbs 25:13-14Reliable friends who do what they say are like cool drinks in sweltering heat—refreshing! Like billowing clouds that bring no rain is the person who talks big but never produces.
If you’re unsure what your typical excuses or what may also be described as a well designed lie to yourself….
**Ask your self a different question….
***What is consistently more important than keeping your word to yourself?
****Who else do you think this is affecting in your life?
I can tell you - all those excuses - were affecting my parenting. Your kids do what you do - not what you say - they will also learn to self sabotage and not keep their word to themselves. So much more...
Is Gluten Really THAT Bad for You?
Is Gluten that Bad For You?
The short answer is: it depends…
- Do you have celiac disease? This is an autoimmune reaction to gluten that causes long term digestive issues and prevents your body from being able to absorb the nutrients it needs Gold standard is biopsy; blood tests are not totally accurate. Interestingly the associated disorders include low thyroid - Hashimoto’s - AI thyroid; malabsorption, B-12 and iron deficiency
- Gluten sensitivity? This is a blood test for the antibodies to the gluten - this is different than an allergy - IBS, brain fog, headaches, neurological symptoms, tremors, vertigo, anxiety, depression, fatigue, muscle and joint pain
- Any other Auto-Immune disorder or symptoms of AI? Positive ANA - and maybe other AI?
- Do you have leaky gut?? Check out my last two Wednesday podcasts to learn more...
Do You Have Leaky Gut? 10 factors...
Let's get to the root of the problem - that's what it's all about in Functional Medicine!
🧐How did you end up with a Leaky Gut and a Leaky Brain in the first place?? There are about 10 basic factors that lead to a Leaky Gut. Of course, there are many more but this covers the main ones.
Here are the links I promised, just copy and paste:
I'm here to serve you...and we will have FUN! Let's keep you out of the overwhelm, and create a personal path to get you healthy! Here's a link to schedule a convenient time for us to chat.
Gut Healing Protocol: Specific supplement protocol designed to start healing MOST people's Leaky Gut. https://us.fullscript.com/protocols/drkrissargent-jump-start-gut-healing-protocol
Replay of Cultivating a Mind for God: 3 Foundations for Mental Health https://dr-kris-sargent.mykajabi.com/pl/2147590135
Do You Let Your Friends Down or Yourself Down?
How often do you flake on your friends? How often do you flake on yourself?
I’m going to continue on this path of mental/soul/gut health. I believe that when we get these three parts on the right path, we can really start to transform all the parts our life for God. And my guess is, if you're really honest, and like I was - you rarely flake on your friends - you rarely let them down. However, you let yourself down regularly and then beat yourself up for it!
So, as important as it is to get help when you need it. There’s also a time to do the work, and start getting real with yourself.
Biblical - Galatians 6: 2-5 2 Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ. 3 If anyone thinks they are something when they are not, they deceive themselves. 4 Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone, without comparing themselves to someone else, 5 for each one should carry their own load.
Food For Your Heart, From My Heart
This episode is for your heart, from the heart. My heart is heavy today with everything that has happened this week and I am here to encourage you....
*I believe that our mental, emotional, physical and spiritual health are the cornerstones to living the BIGGEST life God has planned for us.
*I believe that we are to get and stay healthy FOR God, not out of guilt and shame but love and gratitude.
*If we persevere and stay uncomfortable, I believe our world will change when we step into THAT GIANT God-sized life.
You can all do a little better everyday, with everything.
*You can be more kind to ourselves FIRST.
*You can learn that your validation, self confidence and self worth is from God, not things you do, or your job, or anything else in this world. *God put you here for a purpose, ON purpose and knows everything - the good, the bad, and the messy about you!
*AND He LOVES YOU! Psalm 139:14-16 Jeremiah 29:11
How to Heal a Leaky gut and a Leaky brain
The 6 Steps to Healing a Leaky gut and a Leaky brain.
Bad News: If you have one, you probably have the other.
Good News: I offer a free 1 hour consultation to get your questions answered, and give you a Personalized Health Map of the steps you need to take to start healing. Besides you Personalized Plan - you will also receive my Mini-eBook to teach you how to shift from Self Sabotage to Self Worth. My signature process to understand your self worth.
Below you will find a link to my Mental Health and Gut Healing Jumpstart Supplement protocols I discussed.
Just copy and paste the link, put in your email and choose a password.
Free One Hour consultation: Copy and paste the link, pick your time zone and choose a convenient time. Besides you Personalized Plan - you will also receive my Mini-eBook to teach you how to shift from Self Sabotage to Self Worth. My signature process to understand your self worth.
Shalom: Soul Wellness Strategies
SHALOM:Forming your own mental health strategies
Means complete wholeness and wellness - not just peace - inner peace
800 days of hard
KA shared traumatic reality
Body keeps score
NS has taken a hit
Empathy is low
We need a team: Not the time to go it alone!
Jeremiah 29 tells the exiles to find shalom…to the exiles, they were sent to Babylon for 70 years - we all may feel like exiles in our own hometown. He told them to settle down in a home, plant gardens, and eat the food they produce
For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. 12 In those days when you pray, I will listen. 13 If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me. 14 I will be found by you,” says the Lord. “I will end your captivity and restore your fortunes. I will gather you out of the nations where I sent you and will bring you home again to your own land.”
Empathy is low
People we normally count on don’t have the bandwidth. We need a team: Not the time to go it alone! Researchers and professionals tell us we need 4-7 people on our mental health team. Inner circle friends, Psychiatrist, Psychologist, social worker, therapist, counselor, pastor/priest, spiritual director, Life Coach.
- Radical Grace: For yourself and others - perspective, slow down to see that
- Radical Boundaries - you have to slow down to say no so you can make margin in your life for what will heal your soul
- Radical Rest - you have to slow down to get good SLEEP, yes, and naps,
- Radical Adventure - you have to slow down to stay in the moment of play
The "HowTo" of Good Fats: Incorporating good fats into your diet
Y'all had lots of questions about fats from last week - I'm so happy to answer them!! Tune in to learn the easiest way to incorporate GOOD FATS into your every day diet.
Soul Care Strategy
𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗱𝗼 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝗱𝗼 𝘁𝗼 𝗳𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝘆𝗼𝘂𝗿 𝘀𝗼𝘂𝗹? I don't have it all figured out...
I was reminded yesterday and this morning, I must have a strategy to fill my soul and 𝗺𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗯𝗲𝘆𝗼𝗻𝗱 𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿𝘄𝗵𝗲𝗹𝗺 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗿𝗲𝘀𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁 (𝗿𝗲𝗽𝗹𝗮𝗰𝗲 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗮𝗻𝘅𝗶𝗲𝘁𝘆, 𝗱𝗲𝗽𝗿𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗼𝗿 𝗮𝗻𝘆 𝗼𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿 𝗻𝗲𝗴𝗮𝘁𝗶𝘃𝗲 𝗲𝗺𝗼𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻) 𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗼 𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗴𝗿𝗮𝗰𝗲.
1. Dive into Bible study and other positive mindset reading.
2. Move my body!! Run, walk, listen to uplifting music, praise and worship or country are my choices.
3. Garden 4. Bake. But only if Cooper is in the house to eat all the extra calories.
*^𝗪𝗵𝗮𝘁’𝘀 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝘄𝗮𝘆 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗸𝘀 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘆𝗼𝘂?
MORE INFO AND SIGN UP: https://dr-kris-sargent.mykajabi.com/pl/2147590135
SUBSCRIBE, (so you know when I post a new episode)SHARE, COMMENT, LIKE, REVIEW - Your friends are going to be upset that you might know something they don't!
I ate Donuts! Guess what happened...
I ate donuts this weekend! Just so you know I’m not perfect. Every once in a while I splurge - big time! Not even going to kid you, those donuts were no joke YUMMY!
How about you? Did you stick to your plan and totally nail it this weekend? Or did you slide down the slippery weekend slope? This is where I see so many clients really self sabotage. They do great during the week. But…then Friday and one glass of wine and by Saturday night all bets are off and they’re totally off plan!! Only to be frustrated on Monday because they gained the three pounds they lost the week before.
And then I remember WHY I only do it periodically:
1. Physically, I feel gross today!! Mild headache, kinda bloated, a little sluggish and less productive
2. Mentally and emotionally, my anxiety is higher, the sugar highs and lows leave my blood sugar unstable
3. I’m craving again - I don’t like any of those feelings.
Now I could really beat myself up - which happens to a lot of you and the slippery slope gets longer - and this certainly used to be my pattern until I figured it out. (Learn HOW I figured it out on my upcoming Masterclass - link for info below) ALL that reminds me of my ultimate WHY!
Because I grasp God’s enormous live for me - as best as humanly possible, I know I love myself, so I can love on you… I know I deserve to feel good everyday. You don’t have to be the victim of your own choices and live in that shame. I know that when I make the healthy choices, I feel topnotch I can do more for God and my family. God gave me His best, He deserves my best.
Masterclass INFO LINK: https://dr-kris-sargent.mykajabi.com/pl/2147590135
FATS, Inflammation and Brain Health
Did you know that eating bad fats actually changes the types of bacteria in your gut - and not in a good way?
Did you know that Omega 6 Bad fats are the building blocks of many INFLAMMATORY substances in you body?
The connection between the brain, your gut and inflammation are staggering!
Listen in to learn:
- what foods to eat to increase Omega 3 good fats
- How to avoid the bad fats.
- More about supplementation
- Types of good fats to add to your diet
- and more...
Below you will find links for the two protocols I mentioned, along with information link to
sign up for my MasterClass on May 21 at 10-11am CT.
Just copy, paste and create your account...
FOR Omega 3's click here Brain Health: https://us.fullscript.com/protocols/drkrissargent-basic-mental-health-protocol
Gut Health: https://us.fullscript.com/protocols/drkrissargent-jump-start-gut-healing-protocol
Masterclass Information: https://dr-kris-sargent.mykajabi.com/pl/2147590135
Basic Brain Health Supplements
Ever wonder what basic supplements are good for your brain? Check out my latest podcast!
🥳Like Subscribe and give me a little love on Apple so your friends aren't left in the dark.
You would be mad if they knew something you didn't!🤣
Below you will find links for the two protocols I mentioned, along with information link to sign up for my MasterClass on May 21 at 10-11am CT. Just copy, paste and create your account...
Masterclass Information: https://dr-kris-sargent.mykajabi.com/pl/2147590135
My Top 5 Mental Health Hacks
This is my top 5 mental health hacks. Drop yours in the comments, I'd love to hear from you! For more information about my upcoming Mental Health Masterclass, click the link below.
Cultivating a Mind For God:
Three Foundations for Mental Health
- The Gut:Brain:Immune Connection
- Values: Understand where your Self Worth really comes from.
- Ditch the Self Hate and Shame Model for the Self Love Model.
- Weed out Negative Spinning Thoughts and Emotions.
- Better Results: Crush Self Sabotaging Behaviors.
- How to FEED YOUR GUT for a healthier Mind and Body to follow God's plan.
Foodie Friday: Food Sensitivity vs Allergy; Gluten
As we connect Gut Health and Brain Health this month, Food sensitivities and allergies are always a big question from clients.
I address the differences and a short answer about gluten!!