Golf... Golf Never Changes
By Lagrange Directory
Golf... Golf Never ChangesFeb 09, 2022
BONUS: A Link to the Golf, Newfoundland Edition
Wow it sure has been a plague, huh everybody? Gwyn and Avery return for a bonus episode, and bring along their friend Delilah (Deedee) to talk about the Newfoundland golf scene, left-handed golf, and Links LS 1997.
RANKING: Double Bogey
- Terrifying golf creature on Brookside's fairway
- Delilah's rendition of the golf monster
- Video footage of Phil Mickelson's fantastic shot
Special thanks to Fox for helping with editing this time!
- Ian Cruickshank, "Golf a piece of the Rock: Newfoundland has it all", Toronto Star, Aug. 22, 2009.
- Brookside Golf Website [Archive.org], Dec. 18, 2021
- "Left Handed Golf Tips: The Blessing and Curse of Lefty Golf", The Left Rough
- Papadatou-Pastou, Marietta, et al. “Human Handedness: A Meta-analysis”, PsyArXiv, Apr. 23, 2019
- The New York Times, "It's not political, but more Canadians are lefties", CBC Sports, Feb. 15, 2010
- West Valentine, "Playing Golf Left-Handed: From the Other Side of the Tee", ProGolfNow, Jan. 7, 2019
- "Phil Mickelson", PGA TOUR
- "Right vs. Left Handed Golf", CaddyTrek, Feb. 12, 2019
- "Sir Bob Charles", World Golf Hall of Fame
- Jeff Sengstack, "Links LS Review", Gamespot, May 1, 2000
A Link to the Golf, pt. 2
After an unintentional hiatus, Avery and Gwyn return to journeying through the history of the Links series of games. Today's major digression is a rabbit-hole dive into software piracy in the early 90s and poor academic rigour. We discuss Links 386 and Microsoft Golf 2.0, before finally sitting down and playing Microsoft Golf 3.0!
- Insider Interview: Bruce Carver, Access Software, Electronic Entertainment, July 1994, pg. 80-81
- Martin, M., UKIE: Games piracy "4:1 against legitimate sales", gamesindustry.biz, Jan 25th 2011, https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-01-24-ukie-games-piracy-4-1-against-legitimate-sales
- Goldman, N. D., Software Theft: A $4.5 Billion Headache, Business Forum, Spring 1992, pg. 10-12
- O'Connor, R. J., Software Industry Gets Tough on Pirates, The Washington Post, Oct 28th 1991, https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/business/1991/10/28/software-industry-gets-tough-on-pirates/279ea537-8a0b-4894-abde-2a34db2ced95/
- Marshall, P. G., Can the government help stop the drain on profits?, CQ Researcher, May 21st 1993, Vol 3, Issue 19
- Givon, M., Mahajan, V., Muller, E., Software Piracy: Estimation of Lost Sales and the Impact on Software Diffusion, Journal of Marketing, Jan 1995, Vol. 59, pg. 29-37
- Foster, H., Microsoft Golf Review, Gamespot, May 1st 1996, https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/microsoft-golf-review/1900-2542688/
- Parsec - Screen sharing app: https://parsec.app/
- winevdm - Running 16-bit applications on 64-bit Windows: https://github.com/otya128/winevdm
A Link to the Golf, pt. 1
Gwyn and Avery sit down to discuss what they're doing here, why, and what exactly counts as a "Golf Game". Then they tee off the series with the PC DOS classic Links... by playing Microsoft Golf on Windows 3.1.
- How do we each feel about golf?
- Personal history with golf
- What exactly is a golf game?
- How the tier list works
- The start of the Links series
- Microsoft Golf: Multimedia Edition (1993) Windows 3.1 - Rank: PAR
The tier list? Here.