Self-Accepted: College Admissions & Big Transitions
By Bright Futures Consulting
If you want to launch your child successfully into adulthood (which we all do), it starts with knowing and accepting who they are. We created “Self Accepted" to guide families through the college admissions process while igniting the flame for self-discovery.
This bi-monthly podcast will answer the questions we hear parents asking all the time so you’ll be prepared to launch your child into their future.
Self-Accepted: College Admissions & Big TransitionsDec 23, 2020
019. Utilizing The Birkman To Customize Your Life
The Birkman is so valuable to have during the college application process. In this podcast, we talk about customizing your life using the Birkman. It is such a versatile tool to have in your chest. You can refer back to it for the rest of your life. Even more so than past years, many people are feeling a strain on their relationships. The decision to flip the script is yours. Access show notes at brightfuturesllc.com/shownotes.
018. Part 2 Tips For Blended Families Navigating College Planning And Application
This is part 2 of a 2-part series with guest, Jayna Haney. Continue the conversation to learn how to support your child through the journey of self-discovery that accompanies college applications as blended families. Access extended show notes at brightfuturesllc.com/ep18.
017. Part 1 Tips For Blended Families Navigating College Planning And Application
There is a lot of emotion in divorce. There is also a lot of love that develops in bigger and blended families. Learning how to support your child through the journey of self-discovery that accompanies college applications can be challenging for a lot of parents. It can be even more challenging for blended families. While normal, it’s how we learn and improve that matters for the continued happiness and success of all members of the big family. This is part 1 of a 2-part series with guest, Jayna Haney. Access extended show notes at brightfuturesllc.com/ep17.
016. Making The Most of Your Extended Holiday Break
We are in the swing of the holiday season. As we quickly approach the winter break in this very unusual time, I wanted to talk to you about supporting your teenager in making the most of their extended holiday break and your holiday, too! Access show notes at brightfuturesllc.com/ep16.
015. 6 Steps To Writing A Killer Resume Your College Will Love
This episode is all about helping your student write a killer resume their college will love. We know that not all colleges require resumes for admission, but many scholarships and selective programs do. Learn how to help your student practice self-acceptance to get in touch with themselves, so they are able to focus on developing their own personal brand. Access show notes at brightfuturesllc.com/ep15.
- Schedule your Birkman Assessment to get valuable information about yourself so you can build your resume around those strengths.
014. Advocating for Your Learning Differences In College
Learn how to advocate for your learning differences in college. This is part two in our series devoted to tips for students with learning differences and their families. In this episode, Dr. Beth Dennard is joined by Jennifer Mohr, Bright Futures Educational Consultant in training and the mother of two sons with learning differences (LD). Together, they discuss tips for advocating for your learning differences in college. Access show notes at brightfuturesllc.com/ep14.
- Get help from a Bright Futures Counselor in assessing post-high school graduation plans.
- Schedule your Birkman Assessment to get valuable information about colleges and careers where your LD student can thrive.
- Try coping with LD by exercising first thing in the morning with this workout routine from John Rainey, CFO of PayPal.
- Check out this amazing memoir of Haben Girma, the first Deafblind woman to graduate from Harvard Law! The story is filled with her accounts advocating for her needs to support her LDs since early childhood.
013. Managing Learning Differences in High School: Tips for Parents and Students
Are you a parent with a student who has a learning difference? This is the first episode in a two-part series devoted to tips for students with learning differences and their families. In this episode, Dr. Beth Dennard is joined by Jennifer Mohr, Bright Futures Educational Consultant in training and the mother of two sons with learning differences. Together, they discuss tips for parents and students about managing LD in high school. Access the complete show notes at brightfuturesllc.com/ep13.
012. Find Yourself Through Conversation: Informational Interviewing 101
This episode is all about the importance of finding yourself through conversation with informational interviews. Dr. Beth Dennard is joined by Co-Founder & CEO of FocusCopy, Lauren Jefferson for a mock interview. By the end of the episode, you’ll know the 8 questions students need to ask to get the most out of their informational interview. Access the complete show notes at brightfuturesllc.com/ep12.
- Take a look at these statistics from the Anxiety and Depression Association of America on the impact of work-related stress to individuals’ social, mental, and physical wellbeing.
For your student to really know if a certain career will be a good fit for them, they need to be honest with knowing themselves first. Bright Futures Consulting offers Birkman Signature Reports to help students articulate their strengths and identify career paths they will thrive in. For more information, schedule a free consultation here.
011. The 6 College Admissions Rules of Engagement: Why You Need to Learn The Rules For Your Admission Plan
Dr. Beth Dennard is joined by Certified Educational Planner and Bright Futures Consulting’s Director of Operations, Elana Guerra, M.Ed.. Together, they explain the rules of engagement for 6 different types of college admissions plans – from early decision to rolling admissions. Access the complete show notes at brightfuturesllc.com/ep11.
When hiring an independent educational consultant (like your counselors at Bright Futures Consulting), make sure they are part of one of the following 3 professional organizations. These organizations govern all legitimate Independent Educational Consultants:
- Higher Education Consultants Association (HECA)
- Independent Educational Consultant Association (IECA)
- National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC)
Elana Guerra was also a guest on Self-Accepted Podcast Episode 8, “Why Your Teen Should Start Setting Goals Now”.
010. An Ivy League Education on a Public University Budget
If your student has always dreamed of attending an Ivy League university, then this episode is for you! Dr. Beth Dennard discusses the pros and cons of highly selective brand-name schools, the realities of finances and fit, and the value of honors programs as an excellent and affordable option for bright students to thrive. Access show notes at brightfuturesllc.com/ep10.Self-Accepted Homework
- Ask your student, “What are your goals? What do you really want out of your college education?”. For help, listen to episode 1 on self-acceptance and episodes 8 and 9 on goal setting.
- Encourage your student to start investigating honors programs at public schools. And reach out to us if you have any questions of where to start.
- Talk with your teenager about finances, social setting and belonging, competition, academics, class sizes, and mentorship. Help them figure out what will be the best fit for them in each of these areas.
Related Articles, Resources, & Content
009. Part 2: How To Set SMART Goals
This episode is part 2 of the Self-Accepted goal setting series. Dr. Beth Dennard walks parents through a practical guide to helping teens start goal setting – even during difficult times. By the end of the episode, you’ll learn what makes goals actually last, the 5 different areas of goal setting, and how to use the SMART Goal Setting Framework with your high schooler. Access show notes at brightfuturesllc.com/ep009.
008. Part 1 Why Goal Setting Should Start in High School
Dr. Beth Dennard is joined by Certified Educational Planner and Bright Futures Consulting’s Director of Operations, Elana Guerra, M.Ed. Together, they discuss the importance of focusing on the finish line, the difference between goal-setting and living strategically, and why your teen should start setting goals now. Plus, Elana shares a recipe for success. Access show notes at brightfuturesllc.com/ep008.
007. 10 Insider Tips on Applying to Military Service Academies
In this episode, you’ll get candid insider tips about how to apply and be admitted into military service academies from Dr. Beth Dennard – a US Air Force veteran and the owner and director of Bright Futures Consulting. She’ll cover it all from the pre-candidate questionnaire and nomination process to fitness requirements, scholarships, and prep schools. Access more detailed show notes at brightfuturesllc.com/ep007.
006. The 5-Way Test to Writing an Unforgettable College Essay
Writing the college essay can be one of the most intimidating parts of the college application process. In this episode, I’m joined by my friend and former college admission counselor Robyn Munn to talk about the proven 5-way test to ensure your college application essay is unforgettable.
005. 8 Pandemic-Safe Activities Your Teenager Can Do This Summer To Get Ahead
Many parents wonder how to best support their college-bound teenagers over the summer to ensure they make the most out of the season. This exciting episode is full of tips to help your college-bound teenager navigate a successful summer. I’m joined by Bright Futures College Counselor, Jigisha Doshi, to reveal some fun ways your teen to can use this summer to get ahead on their path to a bright future.
004. Rising Seniors... Start Your Engines for College Application Season!
Preparation can be boring. Adrenaline does not pump during practice or prep, but this preparation is necessary to win the actual race. In this episode, Dr. Dennard shares 6 steps to start that college engine, helping you prepare your rising senior as they begin their path to college. Rising seniors, it’s time to start your engines! Access show notes at brightfuturesllc.com/ep004.
003. A Framework For Affording College with Scholarships and Financial Aid
Paying for college is a patchwork quilt – you have to cover the costs by sewing several sources of financial support together. Learn about what options are available for your family to help your college-bound teenager afford a path to their brightest future. Financial Expert Raymond VanBuskirk talks with Dr. Beth Dennard about affording college with scholarships and financial aid. Access show notes at brightfuturesllc.com/ep003.
002. Tips for Having the Money Talk with Your Teen
Many parents avoid having the hard financial talks about college until it’s almost too late. If you’re thinking about sending your teenager to college, then the time to talk about your financials and financial aid is NOW. Financial Expert Raymond VanBuskirk talks with Dr. Beth Dennard about tips for parents having the college money talk with each other and their teenager. Access show notes at brightfuturesllc.com/ep002.
www.brightfuturesllc.com | firstname.lastname@example.org | 281-486-0023
001. The Secret Weapon to College Admissions & Big Transitions? Self-Acceptance.
Howdy! Welcome to Self Accepted, the bi-monthly podcast guiding families through college admissions and transitions. I’m Dr. Beth Dennard, Owner & Director at Bright Futures Consulting – a whole-hearted, forward-thinking, company that ignites the flame of self-discovery and creative growth in each student we meet. We bring together a strong community of families, keeping them well-informed with the best resources for their children’s success.
In this episode we’ll talk about… what self acceptance looks like, why it’s important to establish before you and your student start the college admissions process, and what pitfalls to look out for. We’ll also reveal your child’s secret weapon that will help them succeed every single day for the rest of their lives.
www.brightfuturesllc.com | email@example.com | 281-486-0023