The Original Vegan Business Talk By Shane Jeremy James
By Shane Jeremy James
The Original Vegan Business Talk By Shane Jeremy JamesAug 18, 2023
Season 2 Episode 38: The visionary founder of Vegan Business Marketing with Kira Pearson
We are delighted to introduce our esteemed guest, Kira Pearson, the visionary founder of "Vegan Business Marketing." With a passion for both veganism and marketing, Kira has carved a unique path in the business world, specializing in helping vegan entrepreneurs thrive in a competitive market. Her journey from globe-trotting to the travel industry and eventually establishing her successful marketing company is inspiring.
As a seasoned expert in her field, Kira's insights and expertise will leave a lasting impact on all of us, shedding light on the powerful intersection of ethical business practices and effective marketing strategies.
Discussion Highlights with Kira Pearson:
- The unique challenges and opportunities faced by vegan businesses in a competitive market.
- The importance of building a robust online presence and targeted marketing strategies tailored to the vegan community.
- Practical tips for new vegan entrepreneurs on creating clear messaging, identifying customer pain points, and delivering impactful results.
- Kira's predictions for the future growth of the plant-based industry and the importance of standout branding to thrive amidst increasing competition.
Season 2 Episode 37: From selling at local farmer's markets to distributing via e-commerce platforms with Dean Ernst
We are immensely excited to introduce our guest for today, Dean Ernst, the co-founder of Essential Candy. Dean and his wife, Tracy, embarked on a unique entrepreneurial journey with a mission to provide comfort to individuals grappling with chemotherapy side effects. Essential Candy specializes in producing hard candies infused with unique blends of plant extracts, crafted carefully by Tracy, who boasts a culinary background and extensive knowledge in holistic living.
From selling at local farmer's markets to distributing via e-commerce platforms and direct-to-business channels, Essential Candy's growth story is as intriguing as its cause.
Dean Ernst's Discussion Highlights:
- The inspiration and journey behind Essential Candy's inception and mission to aid individuals dealing with chemotherapy side effects.
- The challenges encountered in the food industry without prior experience, including understanding the regulations, sourcing materials, and finding reliable partners.
- The evolution of Essential Candy from local farmers' markets to popular e-commerce platforms and their strategies for expansion to national retailers.
- The importance of timing in business decisions and learning to manage growth effectively to ensure reliable fulfillment of orders.
Season 2 Episode 36: Transformative journey into the raw food realm with Crystal Bonnet
Today we have the privilege to introduce Crystal Bonnet, a distinguished raw food chef instructor, author, and entrepreneur who has carved her niche in the food industry. Crystal’s foray into raw food was not by choice but rather a necessity brought on by consistent health issues and low immunity. However, what started as a health-driven decision soon ignited a passion in her. A 21-day raw food meal plan triggered a transformation that ultimately led her to venture into the raw food business. Crystal's entrepreneurial journey began at local farmers' markets in Alberta, where she offered raw chocolates and desserts, leading to teaching certifications globally and crafting online courses.
Crystal Bonnet's Discussion Highlights:
- Her transformative journey into the raw food realm due to health concerns led to a business venture and educating others worldwide.
- The importance and satisfaction of raw desserts in maintaining a balanced, healthy diet while satisfying the sweet tooth.
- The trials and tribulations of operating an online business and the need to pivot and adjust the business model with changing digital trends.
- The recognition and acceptance of past business errors, specifically the lack of focus on a single niche before diversifying.
Season 2 Episode 35: An eco-conscious fashion label company with Nick Savaidis
We are privileged to have Nick Savaidis, founder of Etiko, an eco-conscious fashion label, join us today. Nick's venture into the world of ethical fashion began approximately 15 years ago, inspired by a keen awareness of labor and farmer exploitation within the industry. Over the years, he has created a brand that not only sells genuinely ethically-made, vegan clothing and footwear but also emphasizes fair wages, working conditions, and environmental sustainability.
With experience as a high school teacher and in remote indigenous communities, Nick brought a unique perspective to his business. His desire to create a profit-making entity while positively impacting society has driven Etiko to earn certifications like Fair Trade and B Corp, further establishing the brand's commitment to ethical practices. Let's get ready to dive into the world of ethical fashion with Nick Savaidis.
Nick Savaidis's Discussion Highlights:
- The challenges in bridging the gap between consumers' ethical beliefs and purchasing behavior.
- The role of third-party certifications in authenticating ethical claims and countering 'ethical washing.
- Plans for Etiko, including expanding their fashion range, introducing vegan leather footwear, and possible investments to scale the business.
- The impact of consumer demand on retail stocking of genuinely ethical and eco-friendly clothing and footwear.
Season 2 Episode 34: A sustainable sneaker brand that is revolutionizing the fashion industry with Kumi
Introducing Alexandra and Sergio, the founders of Kumi, a sustainable sneakers brand that is revolutionizing the fashion industry. United by their passion for sustainable fashion, they embarked on a journey to create a brand that combines style, ethics, and environmental consciousness. Overcoming challenges along the way, they have emerged as leaders in the field, offering stylish and eco-friendly sneakers that challenge the status quo.
With a shared vision and determination, Alexandra and Sergio launched Kumi in 2019, driven by their commitment to sustainability. Their focus on using vegan and sustainable materials proved challenging due to limited availability and rigorous testing requirements. However, their perseverance paid off, as they witnessed a growing interest in sustainable fashion, gradually expanding the range of materials at their disposal.
Today, Kumi stands as a beacon of sustainability in the sneaker industry. Alexandra and Sergio's dedication to creating stylish designs that defy stereotypes and challenge misconceptions sets them apart. They have established a strong presence in European markets and aspire to be recognized as a global sustainable fashion brand. Their inspiring journey and commitment to balancing work and personal life make them a true embodiment of conscious entrepreneurship.
- Overcoming challenges in sourcing sustainable and vegan materials for sneaker production.
- The growing market demand and interest in a sustainable fashion.
- Balancing style and sustainability in the design process.
- Funding strategies and crowdfunding campaigns for brand creation.
- Kumi's international expansion plans and strong market presence in Europe.
Season 2 Episode 33: The first vegan VegFest in New Mexico with Nancy Arenas
We're thrilled to welcome Nancy Arenas, a devoted vegan advocate and the founder of Sprouting Social and the nonprofit organization Sprouty Compassion. Nancy's journey started with the launch of an e-magazine, New Mexico Vegan, featuring stories about individuals transitioning to veganism. She expanded her efforts by creating Vegan for Kids, a magazine to support and spread positive messages to younger audiences. Nancy also organized the first vegan VegFest in New Mexico, an annual event that she continued to host even amidst the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Beyond her magazine and VegFest, Nancy furthered her passion for veganism, offering Vegan Cooking Classes at Natural Grocers and later establishing Sprouty Compassion. Her work primarily targets non-vegans and the veg-curious, aiming to promote veganism through compassionate and respectful dialogue. Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, she pivoted to digital platforms, launching the mini-podcast Vegan Pulse to continue the conversation on veganism. Her efforts are marked by patience, understanding, and a strong desire to change society's perception of animal suffering.
Nancy Arenas' Discussion Highlights:
● Her journey towards veganism, the creation of the New Mexico Vegan and Vegan for Kids magazines, and the impact of these platforms.
● The inception of the first vegan VegFest in New Mexico, its challenges and triumphs, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic.
● The establishment of Sprouty Compassion and its role in supporting community outreach programs.
● The importance of reaching non-vegans and the veg-curious audience through respectful and compassionate dialogue.
Season 2 Episode 32: A plant-based health coach with Vanessa Sturman
We're delighted to introduce Vanessa Sturman, a plant-based health coach, and Energize and Thrive Plant-Based founder. Vanessa's journey began struggling with health and diet, leading her to explore a more balanced approach to nutrition. After a transformative trip to India and witnessing the realities of animal treatment, she shifted to a vegan lifestyle. Vanessa noticed a gap in accessible and appealing vegan recipes, which led her to create a successful recipe website. However, her journey did not stop there; she realized the need for guidance on incorporating plant-based foods into a balanced diet, which led to the inception of her coaching business.
Over the past three years, Vanessa has focused on helping individuals find energy, achieve a healthy weight, and combat fatigue through plant-based nutrition. While her recipe website was a success, she ultimately left the business to focus on her passion: coaching, speaking, and making a meaningful difference in people's lives. Running a business was challenging, and Vanessa quickly learned the importance of mastering skills beyond her expertise, such as marketing, sales, and finance. Her story is a testament to the power of aligning passion with purpose, and we're thrilled to hear more about her journey and insights today.
Vanessa Sturman's Discussion Highlights:
● Her journey towards veganism and the transformative experiences led her to adopt a plant-based lifestyle.
● The inception of her recipe website and its role in providing appealing vegan recipes to a broader audience.
● The evolution of her career from a recipe blogger to a plant-based health coach, focusing on energy, weight management, and overall wellness.
● The reasons behind her decision to leave the recipe website business and focus on her passion for coaching and speaking.
● The challenges and learnings of running a business include mastering marketing, sales, finance, and strategy skills.
Season 2 Episode 31: The Sacramento Vegan Society with Linda Middlesworth
Today, we're delighted to introduce Linda Middlesworth, a committed vegan for over 35 years, animal rights advocate, and health coach. Linda's passion for animal rights and veganism is unrivaled. She founded the Sacramento Vegan Society, a group boasting over 5000 members, and uses this platform to promote the end of animal breeding and killing for food, clothing, entertainment, and experimentation. Linda's journey to veganism began with her own health challenges, which were significantly improved by adopting a plant-based diet. This personal transformation sparked her interest in health and nutrition, leading her to become a certified nutrition and cooking instructor.
In addition to her advocacy for plant-based diets, Linda is a champion for animal rights. She was fueled by her revelation about the harsh realities of dairy farming, leading her to establish the Sacramento Animal Rights group. Despite the challenge of balancing her health coaching with her animal rights activism, Linda insists on merging the two, believing both are integral to her mission. Linda's dedication to her causes, her community, and her commitment to improving the lives of animals and people alike make her an exceptional speaker, and we are thrilled to have her with us today.
Linda Middlesworth's Discussion Highlights:
● Her journey towards veganism and how it improved her health, leading her to become a health coach and advocate for plant-based nutrition.
● The formation of the Sacramento Vegan Society and its role in promoting veganism and animal rights.
● The ethical considerations and revelations that drove her to establish the Sacramento Animal Rights group and actively participate in animal rights activism.
Season 2 Episode 30: An alternative to traditional nail salons with Chinelo Fleary
We're delighted to welcome Chinelo Fleary, an entrepreneur who turned an innovative idea into a flourishing business. Chinelo is the proud founder of Ma'at, a brand dedicated to creating vegan and CBD-infused nail polish. Her entrepreneurial journey began when she realized the need for a healthier, more accessible alternative to traditional nail salons and the chemical-laden polishes they typically use. Chinelo's commitment to creating a visually appealing and health-conscious product has led her to challenge the status quo in the beauty industry.
With a background in teaching, Chinelo seized the unexpected opportunity during the COVID-19 pandemic to explore her passions and skill sets more fully. Despite self-doubt and numerous challenges, she remained steadfast in her mission to create a nail polish line that aligns with her values. Chinelo's story is a testament to the power of persistence, conscious decision-making, and the importance of representation in the beauty industry.
Chinelo Fleary's Discussion Highlights:
● How the COVID-19 pandemic became an unexpected catalyst for her to pursue her entrepreneurial dream and launch her unique nail polish brand.
● The challenges she faced in starting her business, including self-doubt and the struggle to align her vision with her business partner.
● The importance of representation in the beauty industry and her focus on creating a product that resonates with her values.
● Her experience with social media and how she managed to navigate it to effectively promote her business, despite not being naturally inclined towards it.
Season 2 Episode 29: A unique heavy metal-themed vegan sandwich company with Rosalind McCallard
Let's welcome Rosalind McCallard, the owner and guiding force behind Snackrilege, a unique heavy metal-themed vegan sandwich company. A lifelong advocate for animal rights and a vegan since 1993, Rosalind turned her passion into a thriving business. Her entrepreneurial journey began humbly, making sandwiches for her husband's lunch, and has since evolved into a flourishing enterprise that resonates with her values and musical preferences.
Starting a business without experience presented challenges, but Rosalind embraced learning and growth. She utilized resources such as the Mercy Corps Northwest program and her network within the vegan community. Her success with Snackrilege is a testament to her perseverance, adaptability, and willingness to learn.
● The inception of Snackrilege, a journey that transformed a passion for veganism and heavy metal into a thriving business. Rosalind's dedication and commitment to her values have played a pivotal role in shaping the company's identity and offerings.
● The initial challenges faced by Rosalind and her strategic approach to overcoming them. She pursued relevant educational opportunities and leveraged her community network, demonstrating the importance of adaptability and resourcefulness in entrepreneurship.
● The vital role of delegation in business growth, as learned by Rosalind. Her decision to hire a manager allowed her to focus on strategic planning, showcasing the significance of task distribution for business development.
Season 2 Episode 28: Pachavega offers plant-based nutrition coaching with Danielle Arsenault
We are incredibly excited to welcome the dynamic Danielle Arsenault to our podcast. A certified raw food chef, nutritionist, lifestyle coach, motivational speaker, and outdoor enthusiast, Danielle's multifaceted career path is nothing short of inspiring. As the founder of Pachavega, she offers plant-based nutrition coaching, designs plant-based menus, hosts holistic wellness retreats, and offers raw food chef certification courses. Based in Nicaragua, Danielle's holistic approach to nutrition and wellness reflects her deep commitment to a plant-based lifestyle.
From her early entrepreneurial endeavors to her decision to become vegetarian at 17 and later vegan during her time in Mexico, Danielle's journey has been marked by her firm belief in the power of plant-based foods. She strongly advocates returning to the source, emphasizing the importance of consuming fresh, natural foods over processed, chemical-laden options.
Danielle Arsenault's Discussion Highlights:
● Her transformative journey from early entrepreneurial endeavors to becoming a passionate advocate for plant-based nutrition and lifestyle.
● The importance she places on whole, healthy, plant-based foods over processed options and her advocacy for sourcing protein from plant-based alternatives.
● Her mission to make plant-based eating enjoyable and sustainable by creating delicious, healthful food.
● Her perspective on the growing array of plant-based alternatives and the balance between embracing these and focusing on whole, unprocessed foods.
● Her insights on the raw food diet, the benefits of incorporating more raw foods into everyday diets, and practical tips for achieving this, such as her nutrient-packed green smoothie recipe.
Season 2 Episode 27: Pioneering an ethical marketplace for vegan fashion with Simon Bell
We are thrilled to introduce Simon Bell, the CEO, and co-founder of Immaculate Vegan, as our esteemed guest today. A trailblazer in sustainable fashion, Simon has carved a unique niche in the industry, pioneering an ethical marketplace for vegan fashion enthusiasts. His journey began when he saw an opportunity in a market ripe for innovation and transformation, and he's since turned that vision into a rapidly expanding business catering to a growing global demand for ethical and sustainable fashion products.
With his wealth of experience in e-commerce and sustainable fashion, Simon brings invaluable insights to our discussion today. From his entrepreneurial journey with Immaculate Vegan to the company's mission and plans, Simon's stories and insights promise to be enlightening and inspiring. As he navigates the challenges and opportunities of running a vegan fashion marketplace, Simon embodies the pioneering spirit that drives industry innovation. We can't wait to delve into his experiences and insights, which are sure to be a source of inspiration for anyone passionate about sustainable fashion and ethical business practices.
Simon Bell's Discussion Highlights:
● The inception of Immaculate Vegan and its mission to provide a platform for ethically-made, vegan fashion products.
● The challenges and opportunities in the e-commerce space for vegan fashion, including building brand awareness and reaching new customers.
● The relationship between veganism and fashion, highlighting the rising demand for vegan footwear and innovation in alternative leather materials.
● The importance of selecting brands that adhere to ethical and sustainable practices, not just in terms of veganism but also in manufacturing, worker welfare, and packaging.
● Insights into the fundraising process, emphasizing the importance of patience, building relationships with potential investors, and crafting a compelling pitch deck.
Season 2 Episode 26: Award-winning executive vegan chef with Chef Doug McNish
As we eagerly welcome Chef Doug McNish to our Podcaset, we are honored to host an award-winning executive vegan chef who has revolutionized the vegan culinary landscape. With an impressive career spanning nearly two decades, Chef Doug's journey into veganism began after being exposed to the realities of animal cruelty. Inspired by a deep compassion for animals and a commitment to sustainability, he fully embraced a plant-based lifestyle and underwent a personal transformation, losing 100 pounds.
Chef Doug's culinary expertise extends across various culinary settings, from working in a steakhouse that challenged his vegan values to immerse himself in the vibrant vegan food scene of New York City. His unwavering dedication to plant-based cooking led him to explore raw food and publish two acclaimed cookbooks. Beyond his restaurant ventures, Chef Doug has become a sought-after consultant, assisting establishments in developing exceptional vegan menus and ensuring high-quality plant-based options that cater to the growing demand for vegan cuisine.
● Chef Doug's journey into veganism and its transformative impact on his life and career.
● The evolution of vegan cuisine over the past two decades, driven by the rising demand for plant-based alternatives.
● The challenges and opportunities in developing and promoting high-quality vegan menus in various culinary settings.
● The importance of variety in vegan menus to cater to different preferences and offer appealing and nourishing options.
Season 2 Episode 25: A vegan advocate and an influential figure in the plant-based movement with Nital Jethalal
We are delighted to introduce our guest, Nital Jethalal, a passionate vegan advocate and an influential figure in the plant-based movement. Raised in a vegetarian household, Nital witnessed the transformative power of plant-based diets firsthand, sparking his lifelong commitment to promoting healthier, greener lifestyles. His academic journey in trade policy and agricultural subsidies led him to view veganism as a holistic solution to many societal challenges, fostering a deeper understanding of the intersection between policy and dietary choices.
As a significant contributor to Plant-Based Data, a research platform focused on veganism, and as a part of Vegto, Canada's oldest vegan organization, Nital has leveraged his expertise to make significant strides in the plant-based community. He also plays a vital role in the Veg Food Bank in Toronto, an initiative that combats food insecurity and income disparities while promoting plant-based living. Join us as Nital shares his journey and insights on veganism, policy entrepreneurship, and the crucial role of businesses in supporting social causes, a testament to his dedication to creating a more compassionate and sustainable world.
- Nithal's upbringing in a vegetarian household and his exposure to the benefits of plant-based diets.
- His academic pursuits in trade policy and agricultural subsidies and realization of veganism's potential as a solution.
- The operation and initiatives of the Veg Food Bank in Toronto and its approach to addressing food insecurity.
- Nital's views on the role of policy and businesses in addressing societal issues and the concept of policy entrepreneurship.
- His experiences growing communities and brands by aligning business strategies with social causes.
Season 2 Episode 24: Expanding to Global Vegan Magazine with Nia Seney
We are delighted to welcome our guest today, Nia Seney, a graphic designer turned vegan entrepreneur who has made significant strides in promoting veganism in Canada and beyond. Nia embarked on her vegan journey over a decade ago, leveraging her skills to assist vegan companies and sanctuaries before venturing into her own creative products. She co-founded Global Vegan Magazine, which started as BC Vegan and later expanded to Global Vegan Magazine, gaining international attention and support from high-profile personalities like Pamela Anderson.
Driven by a vision to reach a global audience, Nia and her team have made the magazine available online and plan to translate it into multiple languages. She also aims to expand beyond print and delve into other forms of media, such as YouTube channels and podcasts. As she navigates the challenges of entrepreneurship, Nia embraces every mistake as a learning opportunity and encourages others to do the same. Join us as Nia shares her inspiring journey and her plans for the future of Global Vegan Magazine.
- Nia's journey from being a freelance graphic designer to co-founding a vegan magazine in Canada.
- The evolution of the vegan magazine from BC Vegan to Canadian Vegan, gaining international attention and support.
- Nia's experiences of partnering with high-profile personalities like Pamela Anderson and facing changes in the team dynamics.
- The plans for Global Vegan Magazine to expand into other forms of media and to be translated into multiple languages for a global readership.
Season 2 Episode 23: The brains behind the Happy Hippie products with Christine Scarinzi
We are delighted to introduce our guest for today, Christine Scarinzi, the founder of Simply Plantz and the brains behind the Happy Hippie products. Christine's journey is a testament to her passion for health and wellness. Her love for wholesome food was cultivated by her parents, who introduced her to various cuisines. This interest was further stoked when she moved to Southern California, a region known for its fitness-conscious culture.
Christine's voyage into the wellness industry began at a local gym, where she explored the world of health and wellness, mainly vegan and raw vegan food options. The turning point came when she cooked for a woman preparing for heart surgery, which led her to realize the significant impact of healthy meals on people's health and well-being. Today, she stands as the proud owner of Happy Hippie, a brand dedicated to creating nutritious and delectable food products that promote overall wellness.
Christine Scarinzi's Discussion Highlights:
- Her journey into the health and wellness industry, marked by her exposure to various cuisines and her move to Southern California.
- The challenges she faced as a business owner, particularly in managing finances and finding environmentally friendly yet effective packaging for her product.
- Her ongoing commitment to Happy Hippie, despite the challenges of running a small business, and her unyielding passion for creating healthy and delicious food products.
Season 2 Episode 22: A non-profit organization that promotes plant-based lifestyles with Thomas Erex
Joining us today is Thomas Erex, a representative of Plant Growth, a non-profit organization based in Denmark that promotes plant-based lifestyles. Thomas, a vegan for 11 years, has been actively contributing to the cause through various initiatives, including establishing the Danish vegan organization, working with companies to introduce vegan products, and engaging with politicians and influential individuals to increase awareness and adoption of plant-based dishes and products.
Beyond his work with Plant Growth, Thomas has made significant strides in vegan cooking. He has a popular blog that shares enticing vegan recipes, has published three cookbooks, and has achieved his childhood dream of becoming a TV chef. His goal is to inspire more people to adopt vegan lifestyles and create a world where more individuals can access delicious and sustainable vegan products and dishes. Listen in as Thomas shares his journey and insights into the plant-based movement.
- Thomas's transition from a volunteer to a representative of Plant Growth and his efforts to promote plant-based lifestyles in Denmark.
- The various activities Plant Growth engages in, including collaborating with companies, hosting events like The Plant Awards, and participating in conferences and food fairs.
- The challenges Plant Growth faces in managing organizational growth while ensuring a solid structure that supports its mission.
- Thomas's success as a vegan blogger, cookbook author, and TV chef and how these platforms have amplified his mission to promote veganism.
Season 2 Episode 21: Pioneering a range of vegan products with Sahan Bakmiwewa
Sahan Bakmiwewa, the innovative founder of Plant-Based Studios, joins us today on our Podcast. With an eye for trending market demands, Sahan has been instrumental in pioneering a range of vegan products that are both healthy and delectable. Starting his journey in the corporate world, Sahan soon realized that his calling was elsewhere. This realization led him to a startup where he gained invaluable hands-on experience across different domains, and it wasn't long before he embarked on his entrepreneurial journey, initially venturing into the organic spices business.
Spotting a growing demand for young jackfruit in 2016, Sahan seized the opportunity to use this versatile fruit as a meat substitute, paving the way for his venture, Ancient Nature. This endeavor eventually blossomed into Plant-Based Studios, a dedicated factory for vegan products, launched in 2021. With a unique, soy-free product line that includes young jackfruit-based burger patties, nuggets, seitan-based vegan chicken, and plant-based milk alternatives, Sahan's company is setting new standards in the vegan market. Despite the nascent vegan market in Sri Lanka, Sahan, through Plant-Based Studios, is committed to fostering awareness about veganism, especially among the health-conscious younger generation.
- Sahan Bakmiwewa's transition from the corporate world to entrepreneurship and his venture into the organic spices business.
- The unique use of young jackfruit as a meat substitute and the launch of Ancient Nature focused on nutraceuticals.
- The evolution of Plant-Based Studios and its dedicated vegan product factory.
- The challenges faced due to the economic crisis, power cuts, and fuel shortages in Sri Lanka.
- Plant-Based Studios' strategy and vision for promoting veganism in Sri Lanka.
Season 2 Episode 20: A company specializing in ginger shots with Bomee
We are thrilled to have Bomee, the founder of Gingerdog, a company specializing in ginger shots, join us today. Bomee shares an inspiring journey from developing a fiery and flavorful ginger shot recipe to making her product available in 11 stores, planning to expand to 300 stores by 2024. Motivated by the lack of tasty ginger shots in the market, Bomee embarked on her venture to offer a delicious and health-beneficial product.
Despite the challenges of scaling up production and navigating the competitive ginger shots market, Bomee's determination and commitment to her vision are unwavering. She continues to innovate and strives to make Gingerdog the leading brand in the North American ginger drinks market. Join us as Bomee takes us through her entrepreneurial journey, sharing insights into Gingerdog's operations, strategies, and plans.
- Bomee's inspiring story of starting Gingerdog and developing a tasty, health-beneficial ginger shot recipe.
- The challenges she faces in scaling up production and her decision to stay self-funded to retain control over the business.
- The health benefits of Gingerdog's shots and Bomee's aim to make Gingerdog the leading brand in the North American ginger drinks market.
- The strategies Gingerdog's strategies to stand out in the competitive ginger shots market include offering multiple shots in one bottle for convenience and variety.
Season 2 Episode 19: Myair Smart Food a revolutionary platform with Rachel Yarcony
Today, we have the pleasure of hosting Rachel Yarcony on our Podcast. As the co-founder of Myair Smart Food, Rachel has been instrumental in creating a revolutionary platform for managing chronic stress through personalized nutrition. Her journey is unique, transitioning from a successful corporate career, including roles such as consulting for Nestle and serving as the VP of Global Market Communication at Teva Pharmaceuticals, to entrepreneurship. Her personal experience with stress in the corporate world prompted her to explore the potential of adaptogens, which eventually culminated in Myair Smart Food establishment in 2019.
At Myair Smart Food, Rachel and her team utilize technological innovations to craft personalized nutrition plans tailored to an individual's cognitive signature. This unique approach combines physiological and psychological data, such as insights from smartwatches and cognitive assessments. Despite the challenges of building a startup, Rachel underscores the importance of team culture and values, learning she gleaned from her corporate background. Ultimately, MyAir's ambitious goal is to empower individuals to take control of their health and wellness through personalized nutrition, setting the stage for a shift in how we approach stress and overall wellness.
- Rachel's transition from a high-pressure corporate environment to the entrepreneurial world of wellness and nutrition.
- The role of technology in personalizing nutrition and its potential to combat chronic stress.
- The significance of team culture and values when building a startup.
- The vision of Myair Smart Food: using personalized nutrition as a tool for health empowerment and behavioral change.
- Chronic stress as a "global silent killer" and the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the importance of stress management.
Season 2 Episode 18: Innovative Mastermind community & Coffee Connection with Ly Smith
Tune in to an insightful conversation with Ly Smith, a keynote speaker, coach, and founder of Upcycle Coaching. Ly shares her journey from a love for public speaking as a child through a life-altering car accident and her evolution into a successful entrepreneur. With her innovative Mastermind community, Coffee Connection, she provides a platform for entrepreneurs and business professionals to help each other grow.
Ly has adapted her model to include online speaking opportunities, video podcasts, and virtual summits in a rapidly changing business landscape. She also discusses her challenges in a crowded coaching industry, stressing the importance of differentiating herself and delivering proven results to her clients.
Another challenge for Ly is online visibility in a content-saturated social media environment. Nevertheless, she continues to explore different strategies to reach her target audience and share her message effectively.
Key Highlights of Ly Smith's Discussion:
- Ly's journey and the creation of her Mastermind community, Coffee Connection.
- How she has adapted her business model to include online platforms while valuing in-person events.
- The challenges of differentiating herself in a crowded coaching industry and her approach to helping clients recognize their greatness.
- Ly's strategies for standing out and gaining visibility in a crowded online space.
Season 2 Episode 17: Respected voice in the vegan and plant-based industry with Aaron Hiebert Prasad
We are thrilled to welcome Aaron Hebert Prasad to our show today. A respected voice in the vegan and plant-based industry, Aaron's narrative is one of transformation, discipline, and profound dedication. His journey began approximately ten years ago when he adopted a high-carb, low-fat vegan diet for his health. Despite skepticism and numerous queries about his protein intake and overall well-being, Aaron demonstrated the resilience to stick with his decision. The result was a radical shift in his health and vitality, making him fitter and more energetic.
Aaron's journey didn't stop at merely adopting a vegan lifestyle for himself. He took his experiences and knowledge to the next level, striving to promote the benefits of plant-based living and advocate for animal rights. His disciplined lifestyle, underscored by his daily routine of waking up at dawn for his road cycling trip in Colombia, is a testament to his commitment. His embrace of veganism is not just a dietary choice but a philosophy that extends to all aspects of his life.
Adding a personal touch to his story, Aaron shares his fondness for the artwork from his friend's restaurant, which had to close due to the COVID-19 pandemic. These pieces are a poignant reminder of his friend's influence on his journey towards healthier eating and a deeper appreciation for animals. Today, Aaron stands as a beacon of inspiration within the vegan community, embodying the transformative potential of a plant-based lifestyle.
Aaron Hebert Prasad's Discussion Highlights:
- The transition to a high-carb, low-fat vegan lifestyle: Aaron recounts his journey, his challenges, and the numerous benefits he has experienced since the transition.
- Overcoming public skepticism: Aaron discusses the skepticism and queries he faced when he adopted a vegan lifestyle, particularly concerns about his protein intake and overall well-being.
- The disciplined routine: Aaron shares his daily routine, which includes waking up early for a road cycling trip in Colombia, emphasizing the importance of discipline and a consistent sleep schedule.
- Advocacy for animal welfare: Aaron discusses his dedication to promoting animal rights and how his vegan lifestyle informs this advocacy.
Season 2 Episode 16: Plant-Based in The Burbs with Paige Parsons Roache
Join us for an engaging conversation with Paige Parsons Roache, founder of "Plant-Based in The Burbs" and co-host of a cooking show on Unchained TV. Paige's passion for promoting a plant-based lifestyle is rooted in her journey, which began in the fitness industry and transitioned into animal rights activism. Today, she uses her platform to educate others, particularly families, about veganism's environmental and health benefits.
Paige and her co-host Sheree have big plans for the future of "Plant-Based in The Burbs," including organizing speaking engagements, creating a cookbook, and providing vegan product and restaurant recommendations. They aim to demystify veganism, showing how it can be easily incorporated into everyday life.
Authenticity is vital for Paige in building her brand, and despite challenges like platform changes and monetization requirements, she remains committed to her mission. She speaks highly of Beyond Meat products and Ethan Brown's innovation and shares her preference for whole, plant-based foods, particularly organic and homemade options.
Paige Parsons Roache's Discussion Highlights:
- Paige's journey from the fitness industry and animal rights activism to promoting veganism through her cooking show.
- Future plans for "Plant-Based in The Burbs," include speaking engagements, a cookbook, and vegan product recommendations.
- The importance of authenticity in building their brand despite platform and monetization challenges.
- Paige's praise for Beyond Meat products and her preference for whole, plant-based foods.
Season 2 Episode 15: Journey into veganism and the popularity of her first book with Ellen Jaffe Jones
Join Ellen Jaffe Jones in a captivating discussion on her books and journey as a vegan on a popular YouTube show. An author of six books, Ellen's work focuses on the vegan lifestyle. Her first book, "Eat Vegan on Four Dollars a Day," showcases the affordability of a vegan diet, emphasizing cooking from scratch and the health benefits of unprocessed foods.
Each of her books tackles unique issues. From cooking for non-vegan family members to debunking fitness myths, providing insights into the connection between veganism and sexual wellness, and addressing food waste with single-serving recipes, Ellen leaves no stone unturned.
A strong critic of the paleo diet and the sustainability of a meat and dairy-based diet, Ellen explores this further in her book "Paleo Vegan." She acknowledges the rise of alternative meat products like Beyond Meat and Impossible Foods but advises moderation, emphasizing that they are not the healthiest choices for a regular diet.
Key Highlights from Ellen Jaffe Jones' Discussion:
- Her journey into veganism and the popularity of her first book "Eat Vegan on Four Dollars a Day."
- The challenge of cooking for semi-vegan households and her approach in the book "Kitchen Divided Vegan Dishes for Semi-Vegan Households."
- Her criticism of the paleo diet and her exploration of the subject in her book "Paleo Vegan."
- The practical guidance and unique insights offered in her subsequent books, including the connection between a vegan diet and sexual wellness and addressing food waste with single-serving recipes.
Season 2 Episode 14: Finally Vegan Macaroons Recognizing a gap in the market with Maricel Cephus
We are excited to introduce our guests on the podcast today - Larry and Maricel, the founders of Finally Vegan Macaroons. Maricel began her venture into vegan macaroons about two years ago during the COVID-19 pandemic. Despite initial failures, she persevered with the support of her family, and with time, she perfected her craft. Recognizing a gap in the market, she took a leap of faith and started selling her vegan macaroons in Houston.
Maricel's journey of turning a simple hobby into a flourishing business is truly inspiring. She leveraged Instagram to generate interest in her macaroons, and the response was overwhelmingly positive. The growth of their brand prompted Larry to quit his job at a pharmacy and join the venture, introducing Texas-sized cookies to their product line.
Navigating the business world as a couple posed its unique challenges. Larry had to adjust to taking orders from Maricel, and they both had to learn how to balance their personal and professional lives. Through compromise and open communication, they found a way to ensure their business thrived. As they look towards the future, they are flexible and open to new opportunities, including possible expansion or even selling the company if the right opportunity comes along.
- The origin story of Finally Vegan Macaroons: Maricel's journey from experimenting with vegan macaroons during the COVID-19 lockdown to establishing a successful business.
- The role of social media in their business growth: How Maricel used Instagram to generate interest around her macaroons and the positive response they received.
- Larry's decision to quit his job and join the venture, expanding their product line with Texas-sized cookies.
- Balancing business growth and quality: The couple's challenges in managing growing demand while ensuring quality and maintaining a healthy work-life balance.
- The dynamics of working together as a couple: How Larry and Maricel navigate the challenges of running a business together and the importance of compromise and communication.
Season 2 Episode 13: Lascnac - Crafted For Nursing Moms with Molly Wilson
We're excited to welcome Molly Wilson, a true pioneer in entrepreneurship and the driving force behind Lascnac - Crafted For Nursing Moms.
Starting her journey at a Hallmark store at just 14 years old, Molly's keen business acumen and relentless determination have led her to create two successful companies. Her latest venture, the Healthy Food Company, was born from a chance encounter and a realization of a significant gap in the market for nutritious lactation products. The Healthy Food Company is a unique brand offering vegan, gluten-free, non-GMO lactation food snack products.
As we delve into Molly's extraordinary journey today, we will explore the ins and outs of her business operations, her strategies for overcoming challenges, and her plans. Get ready to be inspired by Molly's innovative spirit, commitment to filling market gaps, and invaluable insights on entrepreneurship.
Molly Wilson's Discussion Highlights:
- Her journey from a Hallmark store employee to the founder of two successful brands.
- The birth of Lascnac and its mission to provide healthier lactation products for breastfeeding mothers.
- The strategic decision-making process and challenges in business growth, focusing on expanding direct-to-consumer sales through platforms like Amazon.
- Her plans for raising capital to fuel the next growth phase for her companies and strategies for navigating the complex fundraising process.
Season 2 Episode 12: Pucker Up Vegan Entree's expansion with Lauren Kecskes
We're thrilled to host Lauren Kecskes, a dynamic entrepreneur and one of the founders of Pucker Up Vegan Entree. Lauren's journey into the vegan food industry, which began amidst the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic, is a testament to her adaptability and passion for healthy, delicious food. Starting from a simple lemonade stand idea, Lauren and her business partner successfully pivoted to a vegetarian food truck, eventually transitioning to a fully vegan menu in response to customer demand and her personal health journey.
Lauren's prior experience in the restaurant industry, including owning a steakhouse, provided a solid foundation for her current venture. Despite the challenges of high food costs and catering to a niche market, Lauren emphasizes the importance of building a successful brand and a strong community around it. Her vision for Pucker Up Vegan Entree's future includes expansion into corporate events, weddings, and other opportunities and potential collaborations with larger companies and artists.
Lauren Kecskes' Discussion Highlights:
- Her journey from running a steakhouse to launching a vegan food truck in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The challenges and opportunities in the food truck industry, especially within the vegan market.
- The importance of building a successful brand and community in the vegan industry for long-term success.
- Her vision for Pucker Up Vegan Entree's expansion and the significance of safety and reliability in the food truck business.
Season 2 Episode 11: The dynamic duo behind Hollycake House with Holly & Charles
It's our pleasure to introduce our next guest, the dynamic duo behind Hollycake House, Holly, and Charles. A testament to resilience, creativity, and pure talent, these two have created a bakery business during the COVID-19 pandemic, which has grown beyond their wildest dreams. Holly, with her lifelong passion for baking, nurtured by her mother, a skilled cook, baker, and candy maker, joined forces with Charles to create a brand that resonates with love, warmth, and mouthwatering goodness. Today, they are the proud owners of a physical Vegan cafe & bakery, a haven for all those who appreciate high-quality vegan treats.
Navigating through the hurdles of space constraints, supply chain issues, and the pressures of inflation, Holly and Charles have turned their challenges into stepping stones, using each obstacle as an opportunity for learning and growth. What started as a home-based venture has become a beloved local establishment with a bustling demand for its delectable products. Join us as we delve into their journey, exploring their experiences, challenges, and plans for Hollycake House.
Holly and Charles's Discussion Highlights:
- The inception and evolution of Hollycake House from a home-based start-up to a physical bakery and café.
- The challenges of finding a suitable location for their bakery during the pandemic and how they transformed an abandoned office space into a thriving business.
- The struggles and strategies in managing supply chain issues, from sourcing local vegan ingredients to overcoming shipping hurdles and dealing with price fluctuations.
- Their experiences in managing time effectively and maintaining the quality and consistency of their products.
- The future expansion plans for Hollycake House, including adding more seating capacity and leveraging outdoor spaces.
Season 2 Episode 10: Lavva is known for its dairy-free pili nut yogurt with Elizabeth Fisher
We are delighted to introduce Elizabeth Fisher, the entrepreneurial force behind Lavva, a trailblazing brand known for its dairy-free pili nut yogurt. Fisher's journey into the food industry was shaped by various influences, from meeting with a vegan speechwriter at the White House to her health challenges. These experiences ignited her interest in the interplay between humans and animals and the power of plant-based foods, leading her to launch Lavva.
Elizabeth's career in the food industry, primarily in sales, gave her a profound appreciation for the dynamic nature of the sector and the relationship of trust between salespeople and customers. Her battle with ovarian cancer prompted a shift towards a plant-based diet, during which she discovered the versatile and nutritious pili nut. This discovery, combined with her determination to create a product that preserved the natural living cultures and probiotics found in raw foods, led to the birth of Lava in 2016.
Elizabeth Fisher's Discussion Highlights:
● Her journey into the food industry and the formation of Lavva, inspired by a significant encounter and her personal health experiences.
● The challenges encountered in creating a scalable manufacturing process for Lavva that retains the natural living cultures and probiotics in raw foods.
● The economic and market challenges Lavva faces, the dairy industry, and how Lavva differentiates itself by avoiding added sugars and excessive processing.
● Lavva's commitment to animal welfare and sustainability and Fisher's belief in the conscious consumption trends of the next generation.
Season 2 Episode 9: Odd burger vegan fast-food chain with James Mclnnes
We're delighted to present an enlightening discussion with James Mclnnes, the forward-thinking founder of Odd Burger, Canada's pioneering vegan fast-food chain. Starting with a food truck in 2014, James set out to redefine the fast food landscape by providing affordable and delicious plant-based options. Today, Odd Burger is one of Canada's most rapidly expanding vegan fast food chains, boasting 18 locations and several hundred underway for international expansion.
Odd Burger's mission is to disrupt the fast food industry with unique, sustainable, and wholesome food options made from scratch with local, whole food plant-based ingredients. A crucial moment in their journey was a comprehensive rebranding process to better resonate with consumers and align with their innovative and problem-solving thinking mission in the fast food industry.
James also delves into the significant role of franchising in their business strategy. They provide extensive support to franchisees, creating an entrepreneurial culture allowing exponential growth and replicating their successful model. James recommends starting close to home for optimal operations management for those interested in becoming franchisees.
James McInnes' Discussion Highlights:
● The story of Odd Burger's evolution from a food truck to Canada's leading vegan fast food chain.
● Their mission is to revolutionize the fast food industry with sustainable and wholesome plant-based options.
● The significant rebranding process they undertook to resonate better with consumers.
● The crucial role of franchising in Odd Burger's growth strategy and its support system for franchisees.
Season 2 Episode 8: Clean chocolate products involve passion with Andrea Young
We are honored to introduce our esteemed guest, Andrea Young, the founder of Sweet Vegan. Andrea's journey into plant-based and clean chocolate products involves passion, resilience, and innovation. Her Midwestern roots planted a deep love for food in her, eventually leading to Sweet Vegan's creation. Starting off as an interior architect, her career took an unexpected turn when she had a personal encounter with the transformative power of plant-based nutrition. This led her down the path of culinary exploration and entrepreneurship, culminating in the successful launch of Sweet Vegan.
Despite the adversities brought about by the global pandemic, Andrea navigated these challenges with a community-centric approach, pivoting her business model and finding innovative ways to connect with her customers. Her commitment to providing a healthier alternative to traditional sweets while giving back to her community has been instrumental in overcoming these obstacles. Her story is a testament to the power of resilience, community, and the pursuit of passion. As Andrea takes us through her entrepreneurial journey, expect to be inspired, enlightened, and moved.
Andrea Young's Discussion Highlights:
- The personal journey that led Andrea to establish Sweet Vegan and the inspiration behind her pursuit of plant-based cooking.
- How she identified a gap in the market for quality, clean chocolate products and developed her product line.
- The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on Sweet Vegan and how Andrea pivoted her business model to navigate the challenges.
- The community-centric approach Sweet Vegan adopted, including support for first responders and its significance in the company's growth and resilience.
Season 2 Episode 7: Theo's Plant-Based Beet Jerky with Aaron Brodkey
We are delighted to introduce our esteemed guest, Aaron Brodkey, the co-founder of Theo's Plant-Based Beet Jerky. Aaron's journey is a testament to the power of friendship, innovation, and a shared commitment to health and sustainability. With his childhood friend Theo, Aaron has turned their passion for plant-based, wholesome foods into a thriving business that offers a unique and delicious alternative to traditional meat-based snacks.
Aaron's dedication to promoting sustainable food systems and the benefits of a plant-based diet stems from his personal and academic experiences. As the co-founder of Theo's Plant-Based Beet Jerky, Aaron has overcome challenges and embraced opportunities to pursue healthier and more sustainable snack options. We look forward to hearing his insights, experiences, and plans for the future as he continues to champion compassion, health, and environmental consciousness in the food industry.
Aaron Brodkey's Discussion Highlights:
- The origin story of Theo's Plant-Based Beet Jerky and the co-founders' shared passion for health and sustainability.
- The process of developing and perfecting the plant-based beet jerky recipe.
- The challenges and opportunities in the plant-based snack market and the strategies used to grow their business.
- The importance of compassion in business and how it has influenced the company's mission and values.
- The benefits of a plant-based diet for personal health and the environment, and how Theo's Plant-Based aims to make a positive impact.
Season 2 Episode 6: Support emerging vegan and plant-based brands with Daniella Allam
We are excited to welcome Daniella Allam, the founder of Plantas, a marketing strategy and consulting firm that supports emerging plant-based and vegan brands. Daniella's journey as an entrepreneur and expert in the plant-based industry is both captivating and inspiring. Born and raised in Bolivia, Daniella moved to the US for college, where she studied anthropology and later earned her MBA. She now uses her vast experience in the food and beverage industry to help vegan and plant-based businesses thrive and grow.
With a decade of experience in the industry, Daniella has encountered numerous challenges and opportunities in her journey to build Plantas. Today, she helps her clients and shares valuable insights on navigating the hurdles of entrepreneurship and achieving sustainable growth in the competitive plant-based market. Prepare to be inspired and informed as Daniella takes us through her experiences and the lessons she has learned along the way.
Daniella Allam's Discussion Highlights:
● The inception and growth of Plantas and its mission to support emerging vegan and plant-based brands.
● The challenges Daniella faced in transitioning from an employee to an entrepreneur and adapting to new ways of working.
● The importance of balancing client work with the business side of running Plantas.
● The reality of building a business from scratch and the skills required to succeed.
● The unique challenges vegan businesses face and how Plantas helps them overcome these obstacles.
● The significance of stepping back from day-to-day operations and focusing on driving business growth as a CEO.
Season 2 Episode 5: Shop Like You Give a Damn with Stephan Stegeman
We are delighted to introduce our guest, Stephan Stegeman, the co-founder of Shop Like You Give a Damn, an e-commerce platform offering sustainable, ethically-made products from vegan and vegan-friendly brands. Stephan's journey from a university educator to a vegan and sustainable business pioneer is intriguing and inspiring. Stephan has gained invaluable insights into sustainable and plant-based businesses through his experiences in founding various ventures and his commitment to ethical consumerism.
Today, Stephan is not only helping consumers make more compassionate choices but is also working on a platform for vegan investors, further promoting the growth of plant-based and cruelty-free companies. His dedication to creating a positive impact through business is truly commendable.
Join us as Stephan shares his unique experiences, insights, and valuable lessons he has learned along the way.
Stephan Stegeman's Discussion Highlights:
- The transition from a university educator to a vegan and sustainable business entrepreneur.
- The founding of a lunch delivery company and its eventual pivot to a vegetarian/vegan-focused business.
- Stephan's journey to veganism and his experience volunteering for a 30-day vegan challenge.
- The creation of the Vegan Games and the lessons learned from organizing the event.
- The development of Shop Like You Give a Damn, an e-commerce platform for sustainable, ethically-made vegan products.
- The launch of a platform for vegan investors to support the growth of plant-based and cruelty-free businesses.
Season 2 Episode 4: Growing a vegan wine business with Frances Gonzalez
We are delighted to welcome Frances Gonzalez, the founder of Vegan Wines, to our podcast. Frances' dedication to raising awareness about vegan wines and her entrepreneurial journey is inspiring and eye-opening. After discovering the use of animal products in the winemaking process, Frances set out to educate people about vegan wines and founded Vegan Wines in 2017. With a solid commitment to sourcing high-quality vegan wines, she has played an essential role in bringing these products to the forefront of the wine industry.
With no formal education in wine, Frances' knowledge comes from visiting vineyards and learning directly from winemakers and farmers. Her determination to make a difference in the vegan community has led to the success of Vegan Wines, which now offers a diverse portfolio of red, white, and sparkling wines worldwide. Join us as Frances shares her fascinating journey, challenges, and vision for the future of Vegan Wines.
Frances Gonzalez's Discussion Highlights:
● The inspiration behind founding Vegan Wines and her mission to educate people about vegan wines.
● Challenges faced in starting the business, including sourcing wines that met the company's criteria for both quality and vegan standards.
● The importance of knowing where a product comes from, especially in the conscious or vegan space.
● Learning about winemaking directly from vineyards and winemakers, ensuring that the wines sourced are high-quality and vegan.
● The growth and success of Vegan Wines, with a diverse portfolio and partnerships with restaurants and wine shops.
● The future of Vegan Wines and the continued effort to raise awareness and promote vegan wines in the industry.
Season 2 Episode 3: The Plant-Powered Dog with Diana Laverdure Dunetz
We are excited to introduce Diana Laverdure Dunetz, the founder of Plant-Powered Dog and a renowned canine nutritionist. Her passion for dog nutrition and fresh food diets has led her to become a leading expert in the field. Diana started cooking homemade food for her dog, Chase, when he had health issues, and she noticed that he began to improve. This experience ignited her interest in dog nutrition. She decided to pursue a Masters of Animal Science to work with vets and professionals to formulate fresh food diets for dogs worldwide.
Diana's journey took an unexpected turn when she became a vegan in 2017. She could no longer continue to formulate meat-based diets for dogs because it conflicted with her values. This led her to research vegan diets for dogs and to organize the Plant Power Dog Food Summit in 2019, which educated people about the impact of the pet food industry on animals and the environment. Diana is passionate about helping dogs and educating people about the benefits of plant-based diets.
- The benefits of fresh food diets for dogs and how it can improve their health and wellbeing
- The challenges Diana faced in transitioning from meat-based to plant-based diets for dogs and the misconceptions surrounding it
- The impact of the pet food industry on animals and the environment
- The importance of education and awareness in promoting plant-based diets for dogs and reducing the consumption of the animal product
Season 2 Episode 2: Developing alternative proteins with Roberto Guerro
We are honored to have Roberto Guerro join us today, a visionary developer in the alternative protein and vegan business space. With an unwavering passion for innovation, knowledge, and sustainable food systems, Roberto has been a driving force in promoting veganism and eco-friendly practices in the industry. He has dedicated himself to understanding and promoting the alternative protein sector, recognizing its potential to revolutionize the food industry and reduce its environmental impact.
From his time as the managing director of the Spanish language version of The Economist's vegan business magazine to his current role at Singular Foods Company, Roberto has consistently pushed for a more significant focus on veganism in every aspect of his work. He believes that the vegan space is the most dynamic area of the food sector, and investing in it can be both profitable and environmentally responsible. As we explore Roberto's insights and experiences, prepare to be inspired and challenged by his forward-thinking approach to the future of food.
Roberto Guerro's Discussion Highlights:
- The journey of embracing veganism and its impact on his personal and professional life.
- His experience working with The Economist's vegan business magazine and its influence on his career.
- The role of alternative proteins in creating a more sustainable food system and mitigating climate change.
- Singular Foods Company's interest in the vegan space and Roberto's efforts to drive the company's focus on veganism.
Season 2 Episode 1: Vegan Adventure Holidays with Emma Fry
We are excited to welcome Emma Fry, the founder of Vegan Adventure Holidays, to our stage today. With a passion for travel and a commitment to a vegan lifestyle, Emma identified a gap in the market and created her niche travel company to provide vegan-friendly adventure tours. Her venture has successfully catered to the growing demand for vegan travel, offering unique and memorable experiences for those seeking adventure while maintaining their ethical values.
Having worked in the adventure travel industry for many years and as a vegan for a decade, Emma has navigated various challenges, including finding a market for her tours and adapting to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the tourism industry. Despite these obstacles, Emma remains optimistic about the future of Vegan Adventure Holidays, foreseeing continued demand for vegan travel and the desire for exploration in a post-pandemic world. Join us as we delve into Emma's journey and learn more about the exciting world of vegan adventure travel.
Emma Fry's Discussion Highlights
- The inspiration behind founding Vegan Adventure Holidays and the growing demand for vegan travel options.
- Challenges faced in finding a market for vegan adventure tours and overcoming them through organic growth and word-of-mouth recommendations.
- The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the tourism industry and how it has affected Vegan Adventure Holidays.
- Strategies for adapting to changes in policies and practices of local suppliers due to the pandemic.
Episode 100: RV spots and campsites for vegan-oriented travelers with JC Corcoran
We are honored to have JC Corcoran, co-founder of Veg Michigan and VegFund, join us today as a guest speaker. After a successful career as a fire captain, JC found his passion for veganism and activism when he discovered the environmental and health impacts of his dietary choices. Since founding Veg Michigan in 1999 and co-founding VegFund with his spouse Ray in 2009, JC has dedicated his life to promoting non-violence, critical thinking, effective communication, peaceful living, and ethical consumerism through veganism.
In addition to their work with Veg Michigan and VegFund, JC, and Ray run Santa Fe Vegan, an online community with over a thousand members. They recently purchased and renovated a property in Glorietta, which they now rent as RV spots and campsites for vegan-oriented travelers. Despite facing challenges in promoting change in Santa Fe, JC and Ray remain steadfast in their commitment to veganism and activism. Join us as we explore JC's journey and learn more about his inspiring work.
JC Corcoran's Discussion Highlights:
- The origins of Veg Michigan and VegFund, and JC's journey from fire captain to vegan activist.
- The importance of activism, education, and outreach in promoting non-violence, critical thinking, effective communication, peaceful living, and ethical consumerism.
- The creation of Santa Fe Vegan and its role as an online community for vegans and those interested in the lifestyle.
- Challenges in promoting change in Santa Fe and JC's determination to create a vegan awareness month proclamation.
Episode 99: Coaching and Leadership with long-time vegan Betska K-Burr
We are honored to have Betska K-Burr, the founder of Coaching and Leadership, join us today as our distinguished guest. As a compassionate vegan since 2004, Betska has dedicated her life to empowering others and positively impacting both humans and animals. Her transformative journey began when she faced bankruptcy emotionally, intellectually, spiritually, and physically after the birth of her daughter. Through her perseverance, Betska discovered the power of the subconscious mind, which became the foundation of her groundbreaking coaching methodologies.
With over 25 years of experience, Betska has developed more than 80 unique Mind Kinetics methodologies that have helped clients in over 50 countries. By tapping into the subconscious mind and addressing the root causes of their challenges, Betska has guided countless individuals toward personal growth and success. Her expertise in the relationship between diet and mental well-being offers invaluable insights for anyone seeking a healthier, more balanced life.
Betska K-Burr's Discussion Highlights:
- Her journey of overcoming emotional, intellectual, spiritual, and physical bankruptcy
- The transformative power of the subconscious mind and the development of her Mind Kinetics methodologies
- The impact of her coaching services on clients across 50+ countries
- The connection between a healthy diet and a positive mental state, with a focus on the benefits of veganism
Episode 98: The unique business model of Invest Vegan with Sloane Ortel
We are delighted to welcome Sloane Ortel, the innovative founder of Invest Vegan, to our stage today. Invest Vegan is a registered investment advisor that caters to clients with as little as one dollar to invest, allowing everyone to access the power of compounding and sustainable investing. With a unique approach focused on ethics-first investing, Sloane aims to attract clients who may be disillusioned with capitalism and want their investments to align with their vegan or ethical values, ultimately fostering a sense of community and shared purpose.
With a diverse background in investment management that started when she was only 19, Sloane has observed firsthand the disconnect between investment managers and their clients' concerns. Her experiences at a brokerage firm, Oppenheimer and Company, and CFA Institute have shaped her vision for Invest Vegan, an intriguing blend of conscious and vegan investing. Today, Sloane is ready to share her insights and expertise as we delve into her journey and explore the world of values-driven investing.
Sloane Ortel's Discussion Highlights:
- The founding principles of Invest Vegan and the importance of ethics-first investing
- Sloane's experience in the investment management industry and how it has shaped her approach to sustainable investing
- The unique business model of Invest Vegan, catering to clients seeking to align their investments with their vegan or ethical values
- Sloane's journey as an entrepreneur and overcoming the hurdle of permitting herself to pursue her dreams
Episode 97: Vegan Soul Foodie grows to half a million members with Brooke Brimm
We are delighted to welcome Brooke Brimm, the founder of Vegan Soul Foodie, to our stage today. Recognizing a need for healthier food options within the black community, Brooke and her husband have been plant-dominant for 30 years. Vegan Soul Foodie has since grown exponentially, offering books, classes, and digital products centered around vegan soul food and hosting in-person and online events.
Navigating the challenges of a judgmental culture within the vegan community, Brooke has fostered an encouraging and transition-friendly atmosphere within her group, focusing on inclusivity and embracing anyone wanting to join the movement. Her ultimate goal is to make a difference in the health of the black community by promoting vegan soul food as a delicious and satisfying alternative to traditional soul food. Join us as Brooke shares her journey and insights into the exciting world of vegan soul food.
Brooke Brim's Discussion Highlights:
- The origin of Vegan Soul Foodie and its growth to a community of nearly half a million members.
- Challenges faced due to the judgmental culture within the vegan community and Brooke's approach to fostering a supportive, inclusive environment.
- The transformation of Vegan Soul Foodie into a media company, offering books, classes, digital products, and events related to vegan soul food.
- The impact of vegan soul food on the health of the black community and the importance of embracing a plant-based lifestyle.
Episode 96: Launching a Plant-Based Cheese company in Thailand with Nicolas Frauenfelder
We are excited to welcome Nicolas Frauenfelder, a plant-based food entrepreneur and founder of Swees Plant-Based Foods, to our stage today. Nicolas's journey from a banking career to creating a range of plant-based cheeses in Thailand is truly inspiring. Combining his passion for nutrition, cooking, and experimentation, he has created a successful plant-based food company that helps people transition to a more sustainable and healthy lifestyle.
With his nutritionist background and Swiss heritage, Nicolas brings a unique perspective to the world of plant-based cheese. His dedication to creating delicious, satisfying alternatives to traditional dairy products demonstrates the potential of plant-based foods to not only improve our health and protect our planet. Get ready to be enlightened and inspired as Nicolas shares his journey.
Nick's Discussion Highlights:
- Nicolas's journey from a career in banking to becoming a plant-based food entrepreneur.
- The inspiration behind his plant-based cheese company.
- The process of creating a range of plant-based cheeses using different nut bases.
- The challenges and successes of starting a plant-based food company in Thailand.
- The importance of providing accessible, delicious alternatives to traditional dairy products.
Episode 95: Vegan product labeling and certification with Claire Michalski
We are delighted to welcome Claire Michalski, co-founder of Vegan Founded, a company that certifies businesses as 100% vegan, to our stage today. Claire's dedication to transparency in vegan product labeling and her passion for promoting veganism has led her to create a unique certification system that ensures consumers know their money is supporting businesses that do not exploit animals. Her experience with non-profit designs being stolen and printed on non-vegan garments using non-vegan ink sparked the idea for Vegan Founded.
In the interview, Claire describes how Vegan Founded differs from typical vegan logos approved by certain societies. Their certification indicates that the entire business is vegan and is owned by vegans, giving consumers complete trust in their purchase. Despite the setbacks during the lockdown, Vegan Founded has continued to support the vegan business community, advising on business growth during the pandemic.
Here are the highlights of Claire Michalski's discussion:
- The need for more transparency in vegan product labeling and certification.
- The creation and operation of Vegan Founded and its certification process.
- The difference between Vegan Founded's certification and typical vegan logos.
- The challenges that Vegan Founded faced during the lockdown and how the company continues to support the vegan business community.
Episode 94: Traveling the country in a vegan-covered camper van with Sabrina Farb
We're excited to introduce our guest, Sabrina Farb, founder of bornvegan.org, an organization dedicated to promoting veganism and animal rights education. Sabrina's passion for veganism started at a young age and led her to leave her teaching job to focus on full-time vegan education through social media, podcasts, and in-person lectures. She travels around the country in a vegan-covered camper van, spreading the message of veganism to schools, universities, and public places.
Sabrina's unique upbringing as a vegan and her involvement in animal rights activism since childhood have shaped her mission to educate people about veganism. Her focus on education and sharing information on veganism is vital to her business.
Sabrina Farb's Discussion Highlights:
- The mission and vision of bornvegan.org and her approach to promoting veganism and animal rights education.
- The challenges and rewards of leaving her teaching job to focus on vegan education full-time.
- The importance of in-person lectures and social media in promoting veganism and animal rights education.
- The significance of being empowered vegans and how it can help others transition and stay vegan successfully.
Episode 93: Challenges and opportunities in the vegan food market with Thomas Hong
We're pleased to welcome Thomas Hong, the founder of vegkey.com, to our platform. Thomas has an inspiring story, starting as a vegetarian with a passion for starting a vegetarian/vegan buffet restaurant before pursuing engineering and creating an online business selling bathware. Realizing he had the financial stability and time to pursue his passion for vegetarianism, in 2019, he started Vegkey selling vegan/vegetarian jerky made from mushrooms. Despite facing several challenges, including a crowded and competitive market and the pandemic, Thomas persevered and created a successful business through his dedication and hard work.
Thomas's insights into the challenges and opportunities in the vegetarian and vegan food market will be valuable to anyone interested in starting or growing their business.
- Thomas's journey from being a vegetarian to founding Vegkey and his passion for vegetarianism.
- The challenges and opportunities in the crowded and competitive vegan food market.
- Strategies for entering the market without any experience in the food or snack industry, including focusing on online sales and attending vegan festivals.
- The importance of perseverance and dedication in starting and growing a successful business.
Episode 92: A successful vegan cheese-making business with Alice Fauconnet
We are excited to welcome Alice Fauconnet, the founder of New Roots, a highly successful vegan cheese-making company, to our platform. Alice's story is inspiring, starting with an experiment in her kitchen to satisfy her craving for cheese after going vegan. She and her partner, Fred's passion for cheese-making led them to create a high-quality, artisanal product now sold in many stores across Switzerland and beyond. Alice's commitment to ethical veganism and her passion for creating delicious plant-based alternatives have made her a well-respected figure in the vegan food industry.
Alice's success in the vegan cheese market is due to her and Fred's dedication to the traditional artisanal process of fermenting and ripening cheese. She believes this process sets her company apart from others in the industry.
- Alice's journey from experimenting with making milk from different nuts and seeds to creating a successful vegan cheese-making business.
- The challenges and opportunities in the vegan cheese-making industry, including the importance of using traditional fermentation and ripening processes.
- The growth of veganism and the increasing demand for high-quality, artisanal vegan cheese.
- Alice's commitment to ethical veganism and how it has influenced her business practices.
Episode 91: Innovating plant-based alternatives with Bill Myers
We are delighted to welcome Bill Myers, one of the founders of Millet, to our platform. Millet, established in 2018, specializes in plant-based buttermilk and salad dressings. Bill Myers and his father, both with backgrounds in food science, technology, and chemistry, were drawn to the plant-based space due to the increasing number of athletes adopting vegan and plant-based lifestyles. Bill's experience innovating and marketing plant-based alternatives and the challenges and rewards of starting a plant-based food company will provide valuable insights for those interested in the industry.
One of Millet's most significant challenges was introducing vegan buttermilk to a market that was largely unfamiliar with the concept. Despite the difficulties of running a business during the pandemic and dealing with inflation, Millet has seen progress and growth. Bill's passion for innovation and educating people on the benefits of a plant-based lifestyle is inspiring, and his insights will undoubtedly prove invaluable to those interested in the plant-based food industry.
- The challenges and rewards of starting a plant-based food company, focusing on Millet's unique buttermilk and salad dressing.
- The difficulties of introducing vegan buttermilk to a market that was largely unfamiliar with the concept and the potential of plant-based alternatives in the food industry.
- Millet's marketing strategies and the challenges of running a business during the pandemic and dealing with inflation.
- Bill's passion for innovation and educating people on the benefits of a plant-based lifestyle.
Episode 90: Starting a powdered oat milk business with Zachary Champiux
We welcome Zachary Champiux, founder of Passionate Oat and Managing Director for We The Free, a vegan advocacy organization. Zachary's journey into veganism and entrepreneurship is one of passion and purpose. After being moved to action by the suffering of animals in the food industry, Zachary started a powdered oat milk business that aims to end the use of animals in food technology, starting with dairy cows.
As an entrepreneur in the food industry, Zachary faces various challenges, including regulatory issues, fundraising, and creating a cost-competitive, tasty, and functional product. Additionally, he must balance the animal rights aspect of his company when speaking to potential industry partners, investors, and government agencies.
- Zachary's inspiration for starting Passionate Oat and his mission to end the use of animals in food technology.
- The challenges Zachary faces as an entrepreneur in the food industry, including regulatory issues, fundraising, and balancing the animal rights aspect of his company.
- The importance of a mission-based company that seeks to create positive change
Episode 89: Vegan Lifestyle through her clothing with Sophia Jasmine Sundar
It's an honor to have Sophia Sundar, the founder of Sophia Jasmine, join us today. Sophia has made waves in the fashion industry with her unique vegan apparel company. Her vision is to spread awareness of the vegan lifestyle through her clothing while supporting animal sanctuaries. Sophia's journey is a testament to her dedication and passion for animal welfare.
Sophia started her vegan apparel company four years ago, and since then, she has been creating thought-provoking clothing that sparks conversations and introduces people to veganism. Her niche market of vegans has expanded to include vegetarians and meat-eaters interested in veganism. Sophia's apparel is more than just clothing; it creates change and spreads a message.
Get inspired and informed by Sophia's vision of a cruelty-free world.
- Sophia's inspiration for starting her vegan apparel company
- Challenges in marketing a niche product to vegans
- Sophia's focus on creating awareness and change through her clothing
- How Sophia plans to expand her customer base
- Sophia's commitment to supporting animal sanctuaries