The Outliers Podcast
By Steph Teagan
"Those born in a cage think flying is an illness." Let's fly.
The Outliers PodcastOct 05, 2021
Integrative Health Practitioner on Mental Health, Gut Health, & Overexercising with Bre LeBlanc
In this episode, Steph is joined by Integrative Health Practitioner, Breanna LeBlanc to talk about all things mental health, gut health, exercise, hormones, and more.
*Trigger Warning:* This episode discusses suicide and various mental health issues, so if this is triggering to you, please enjoy a different episode.
- The relationship between the gut and the brain
- Feeling hopeless in the midst of chronic health issues
- Causes of SIBO and Candida
- The role of stress in digestive health
- The difference between digestive health and gut health
- The negative effects of overexercising and why slowing down may just be what you need
- Why your body burns out or gets sick
Founder of ClearStem Skincare on: Acne, Gut Health & Seed Oils - feat. Danielle Gronich
In this episode, Steph is joined by Danielle Gronich, skin expert and founder and CEO of CLEARSTEM Skincare. CLEARSTEM is one of the first of its kind: a nontoxic, anti-aging, and anti-acne skincare line that helps thousands of people improve their skin.
In this episode:
- How much is acne caused by internal vs. topical factors?
- Foods and supplements that can trigger acne
- Can too much protein cause acne?
- Why nontoxic doesn't equate to "good for acne"
- How to know what ingredients are pore-cloggers
- Makeup brands that are free of pore-cloggers
- Are acne maps accurate?
- Seed oils: good for the skin or not?
Ingredient checker: https://clearstemskincare.com/pages/pore-clogging-ingredients-list
For all guest requests, questions, or to send in a story: firstname.lastname@example.org
Registered Dietician Shares #1 Contributor to Gut Health - feat. Milaena Ferrarese
Welcome to The Outliers Podcast, where Steph Teagan brings on true outliers in ALL industries to pick the brains of experts, debate controversial topics, and provide uncommon knowledge to all.
Steph is joined by registered dietician and founder of Healthy Kinnect, Milaena Ferrarese, to discuss various topics within nutrition, gut health, food quality, and the mind-gut connection.
In this episode:
- Squashing assumptions about traditional registered dietitians
- The REAL reason behind the efficacy of the Mediterranean diet
- Why being too healthy is actually hurting your health
- The NUMBER ONE contributor to poor gut health
- How much does childhood impact our gut health as adults?
- Is extreme gut damage reversible?
- The major problems with nutrition education and research
Have questions? Email us at email@example.com
The 3Ms of Empathetic Leadership w/ Dinesh Sukhija (Engineering Leadership - Opendoor, ex-Headspace)
What an honor to have Dinesh Sukhija, a former leader in Engineering at Headspace and current leader in Engineering at Opendoor. Dinesh had a far-from-easy upbringing, but with adversity came powerful perspective-shifting and grit.
Dinesh and Steph discuss:
- Navigating burnout and reigniting your fire
- Self-worth and its relationship to burnout
- Are your to-do lists sabotaging you?
- Soul-level burnout
- Are you an accidental diminisher to your peers?
- How to be a MULTIPLIER
- Mindfulness to uncover what's broken and what warrants fixing
Guest: Dinesh Sukhija
POWERFUL LESSONS I LEARNED AT 26
I'm back on the podcast game after some time off to focus on other projects (coming soon). In this episode, I go over the hardest but most important lessons I learned in the last year. Some of these topics may be triggering, as I discuss anxiety, depression, burnout, addiction and trauma.
Hopefully this provides some comfort to anyone going through tough transitions, challenges, or transformations of Self.
Removing Breast Implants and Finding Femininity Within feat. Megan Davis
Megan Davis is a former bodybuilder and competitor turned wellness leader. In this episode, she shares her story about getting breast implants, and why she got them removed. The two chat about their different experiences with implants and the similarities they both struggled with.
Steph and Megan discuss:
- The decision to alter your body
- The power of giving yourself a chance to pause
- Breast implant illness
- Mental preparation before explant surgery
- Finding femininity outside of having larger breasts
Sifting Through The Bullsh*t In Our "Health" System feat. Austin West
BONUS EPISODE: Stephanie welcomes back Austin West, a show favorite, to join her in this thought-provoking episode. This episode is bound to turn some heads, ruffle some feathers, but hopefully create some conversation and curiosity around the information we are fed. The two talk about everything from MDMA therapy to feminism.
Austin and Steph discuss:
- SSRIs and depressions
- MDMA therapy
- Conventional research methods and why we need to be thoughtful of what we ingest
- The importance of a child's intuition
Guest: @austin_noteast of @entheos_wellness
Also, a quick note on the SSRI piece-- these truly do help a good amount of people in a way that we don't yet understand, so please don't listen to this and change anything without discussing it with a professional first. They helped me sleep and rid my insomnia, so I'm not demonizing them especially if they work for you :)
Are YOU Actually The Answer? feat. Nick Komodina
Are you ready to change your reality now? Not in a month, not in a year, not in five years.
After over a year since their first podcast, Nick and Steph regroup with new insights, experiences, and breakthroughs. Hopefully, this episode can speak to all of us and all versions of us: our future selves, our past selves, and most importantly, our inner child.
Steph and Nick discuss:
- Finding peace and why it’s not what you think
- Spending your life carrying or helping others and neglecting Self
- Do you self-sabotage, or is it actually what you want?
- Why are we afraid of knowing the part of us that doesn’t know pain, but knows love, power, and freedom?
- Why letting go of time makes us free
- Is the reality we pray for the reality we already have?
Giving The Body What It Wants feat. Karon Hawkins - Head Coach at Flobility
Steph is finally back to podcasting after a little month-long break, and she's fortunate to reign in this new season of the pod with Karon Hawkins, Head Coach at Flobility. Karon has his own wellness podcast called The Kronic Lifestyle, trains dozens of individuals in Flobility, and conducts research regarding various systems in the body.
Steph and Karon discuss:
- Doing a lot of things and doing them just "ok"
- Recovering from perfectionism
- How to get more glutes/hamstrings work out of your movement
- How a stable core works the glutes more
- Trusting the process in a completely different kind of workout program
- Letting your body guide you to better health and how to listen to it better
What Are Phones Doing to Our Brains? feat. Tommy Sobel
Steph is joined by Digital Habits Coach and founder of Brick: The Digital Wellness Community, Tommy Sobel. Tommy comes from a background in neuroscience, but spent his time after school pursuing his passions in the film industry. After a close-call, he realized there was a problem-- and what do all great entrepreneurs do? They build a message from their mess. Now, he helps other entrepreneurs, creators, and high-achievers instill healthy habits with their smart phones and optimize their time in order to improve their creativity, find their muse, and establish a workflow that allows for mental wellness.
Tommy and Steph discuss:
- The pillars of wellness and how they've evolved over the last 60-100 years
- What is digital wellness, and why will it be just as important as physical and emotional wellness?
- Dopamine and the mechanisms behind the addiction of smart phones
- Simple habits to start implementing for digital hygiene
- The importance of having moments of nothingness and peace in a world of constant influx of information
- Hitting rock bottom and its catalyst for change How dating apps work on the brain and if it impacts our ability to experience true connection and love
Watch this episode on YouTube
Exist With Me: Soulmates, Dating Frustrations, and Creating Your Desired Reality feat. Arozo Roshan
Get your wine, tea, coffee, or whatever it may be, and join Steph and one of her best friends for an equally deep and light-hearted conversation. Come hang out with two girls in their 20's talk about their non-negotiables, dating in San Diego, taking care of men, and what they are letting go.
Meet World Champion Powerlifter: John Haack
This week, Steph sits down with world champion powerlifter, John Haack. John holds the world record in the raw 82.5 kilogram weight class. He opens up about how he went from his first powerlifting meet to becoming a world champion, and he answers your questions at the end (find the full episode on Spotify and Apple Podcasts).
Steph and John discuss:
- What he eats for breakfast
- How he got into powerlifting
- John's approach to "diet" and macros
- Mental health struggles with the sport
- Living in California and finding community
- Finding identity outside of being an athlete
- How to decide when your success is enough
WATCH THIS EPISODE ON YOUTUBE
Testosterone Talk, ADHD, and Ending Mental "Disorders" feat. Austin West
In this episode, Steph is joined by Austin West for the second time! He was a favorite from their first podcast episode together, where they chatted about divorce, drinking, and psychedelics!
This time around, the two discuss:
- Body dysmorphia in men
- Austin's story of taking testosterone and the consequences it brought
- The implications of changing your body with quick fixes
- How trauma manifests itself physically
- Living with ADHD
- Why we need to stop calling diagnoses "mental disorders" [especially with children]
WATCH THE FULL EPISODE ON YOUTUBE HERE
Body Image, People Pleasing, and Reducing Your Circle with Purpose feat. Milaena Ferrarese
You want all these raw, vulnerable, and honest? This episode is for you. Steph and Milaena open up about both of their recent experiences with healing wounds-- old and new. Almost everything they cover is (likely) relatable to most people listening to this podcast.
Steph and Milaena discuss:
- Heart Rate Variability (HRV) and how it tells us how to go about our day
- Body image issues
- Placing too much of your identity in your physical appearance
- Surrendering to rock bottom
- Allowing people to dislike you
- People pleasing
- Are you introverted, or are the people you surround yourself with not inspiring or fulfilling to you?
Guest: @milaenaelisee and @monumentalmovements_
Exist With Me: True Crime, Dating Apps, & Living Far Off the Map feat. Carlie Arneson
Steph and Carlie discuss:
- Why women like true crime so much
- Dating apps and how to get off of them
- Steph's dating profile
- Having babies
- Not being ashamed of wanting something different for yourself
- Living far from your family vs. living "the dream"
Plant Power and Simplifying Health feat. Dr. Ian Smith
In this episode, Steph is joined by physician and #1 New York Times Best Selling Author, Dr. Ian Smith. He is a cohost of The Rachael Ray Show, former co-host of The Doctors, and author of 15 books, including his new book Plant Power. Dr. Ian Smith also has a mystery series, so this is a man of many talents.
Steph and Dr. Ian Smith discuss:
- His new book, Plant Power, and why you don't have to cut out meat to eat a more nutrient-dense diet
- Whether or not plants are actually as healthy as we think
- How the pandemic was handled by the media
- The importance of cutting out the noise, simplifying your "healthy lifestyle," and ending the stresses and pressures around eating perfectly clean
- Intermittent fasting: is it an additional stress on the body?
- Who to trust with your health nowadays
His new book: https://www.amazon.com/Plant-Power-Plate-Change-Weight-ebook/dp/B092T8DLND
Cheating, Depression, and Social Media Obsession feat. Dr. Brendan Nierenberg
Well, do we have a treat for all of you. This week, Steph is joined once again by the incredible Dr. Nierenberg. What started as a podcast about cheating, turned into a deep discussion about the struggles of depression and the problem with social media.
Steph and Dr. Nierenberg discuss:
- What kind of person cheats?
- Are there common underlying risk factors that make cheating more likely?
- Why do people cheat?
- Is everyone capable of cheating?
- What depression can look like, and how it looks different for different people
- How social media makes various psychological disorders a trend and why the overflow of information may need to stop
Guest: @dreadbehemoth on IG and TikTok
Digestion and the Central Nervous System feat. Karon Hawkins
Let's talk about digestion. We all hear about the foods to eat, not to eat, when to eat, how to eat, but has modern science overlooked another key piece, i.e., posture? Of course what is within us on a microbial level matters, but what about the structure that holds all of those organs in place? In this episode, Steph and Karon Hawkins, Head Coach at Flobility, discuss the potential implications of pelvic tilt when it comes to motility and digestion overall.
Steph and Karon discuss:
- Diversity of the microbiome
- Vaginal birth vs. C. sections regarding the development of the microbiome
- How the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems impact digestion
- Displaced anxiety from the ease of our modern environment
- Are there motility implications from pelvic tilt?
Watch this episode on YouTube!
Psychedelics, THC, and SSRIs - Oh My! feat. Dr. Conor Murray
There's been a lot of talk about psychedelics, micro-dosing, and THC lately, so Steph decided to have on a neuroscientist to explain how these various drugs act on the brain. Dr. Conor Murray is a neuroscientist, and his main focus of study is neuropsychopharmacology. Some of his latest work includes a study on the effects of THC on the adolescent brain vs. the adult brain.
Conor and Steph discuss:
- How THC effects adolescents and adults differently: performance, cognitive functioning, and other measures
- How psilocybin and LSD on the brain
- Could psychedelics and LSD potentially be a new, safe, treatment for certain psychiatric disorders?
- What's safer? Unregulated medicine from the earth or pharmaceutical medicine?
- How SSRIs work
- The future of brain health and diagnosing psychiatric disorders
Honeymoon Phases and Breaking Up With Someone feat. Dr. Brendan Nierenberg
This week, we are so lucky to have Dr. Brendan Nierenberg join us again--- but this time, to talk love and relationships. Brendan is a psychologist, therapist, and famous TikTokker who provides hundreds of valuable videos surrounding mental health, relationship health, and self-care. He is one of the most selfless people and truly shares all of his knowledge just to change one person's life for the better.
Brendan and Steph discuss:
- Does the honeymoon phase ALWAYS end? Or is that avoidable?
- Perceived self vs. the authentic self
- Why being a "nice guy" isn't enough
- Codependency and how it relates to empathy
- The difference in men's vs. men's dating app profiles
- Why you should stop feeling shallow about having physical preferences
- Why breaking up with someone is actually selfless in many cases
Guest: @dreadbehemoth (IG & TikTok)
Love: Lessons Learned, Valentine's Day, and The Chemistry Behind Monogamy feat. Hannah
Hannah is BACK for another episode of talk therapy. The two discuss the strange events of their super bowl weekend, Valentine's Day, and... acceptance around the fact that they are just weird and introverted. If you are sensitive to stimulation, please take various water breaks and a few moments of silence throughout the episode to avoid burnout.
The two discuss:
- Irish goodbyes
- Steph's latest update after breast explant surgery
- Navigating your 20's as an 87-year-old
- Choosing the right people for your circle
- Which type of mate you'll gravitate toward based on your chemical makeup group
- The physiological mechanisms behind monogamy and non-monogamy
Guest: it's a secret
Failing Is Fun feat. Max Manticof
This week, Steph lightens the mood a little bit by bringing on comedian, Max Manticof. Max is a New York comedian and founder of Street Talk Comedy. Tune in for mildly inappropriate stories and [hopefully] a few nuggets of insight.
In this episode, the two discuss:
- Dating apps
- Is dating a sport, and we are all athletes?
- Dating in an expensive city... don't?
- Is everything in the world made out of shapes?
- Picking one thing and focusing
- Why failing is a blessing
Knowledge Is Power: From ED to RD feat. Milaena Ferrarese MS, RDN
In honor of Eating Disorder Awareness Month, Steph had the pleasure to sit down and chat with Milaena Ferrarese MS, RDN about her experience battling an eating disorder. Milaena walks us through how it started, how it progressed, and how it was the catalyst for her to become a registered dietician and help others with their nutrition.
Steph and Milaena discuss:
- How eating disorders can start and why
- Drinking alcohol with an eating disorder
- Dealing with comments from peers: you will never be perfect to everyone
- How an eating disorder affects mental health and wellbeing
- Why being small in size does not correlate with confidence
- How learning about the body and how it's fueled helped Milaena recover from her eating disorder
Guest: @milaenaelisee, @monumentalmovements_, www.monumentalmovements.com
Disclaimer: This podcast discusses eating disorders and behaviors around various eating disorders. If this is triggering, please refrain from listening.
Struggling with an eating disorder or with what you think could be an eating disorder?
Let's Chat: My Surgery, Having COVID, and Ivermectin
In this solo episode, Steph does a recap of her 25th year on earth. SPOILER ALERT: it kind of sucked, which ultimately means there are good lessons to draw from it.
- Her mom's diagnosis
- Developing breast implant illness: symptoms, surgery, and mental h(ell)th
- Getting COVID: how severe, how it started, and how it's going
- How she's treating her COVID...horse pills?
- Her honest thoughts on the vax
- Tough love on how to fight for your health
+ not much more. It's already disturbing she can talk to herself for 37 minutes.
Divorce, Drugs, & Drinking Friends feat. Austin West
Do people really change? Steph's guest this week, Austin West, proves that it's possible to not only change but to rewrite your story and change your entire life for the better.
Steph and Austin discuss:
- Divorced parents
- The addiction cycle
- Drinking friends vs. real friends
- Drugs vs. medicine: what's the difference?
- The world is too easy now: how it's killing us
- MDMA therapy
- How mushrooms got Austin off of Adderall
- Believing in something greater than you are
- Why feeling small will ground you
Is It Genetic? Meet My Sister
A special holiday treat this week, as Steph is joined by her sister, Anna. Although the two couldn't be more different, they were able to sit down civilly for (only) a half hour. No sisters were harmed in the production of this podcast, despite low blood sugar keeping it short and sweet.
The two discuss:
- What it's like being adopted
- A different view on adoption
- Feeling like an outcast in your own family, regardless of being loved
- The privilege of knowing your genetics
- Codepency and what it really means
- Attachment styles
- Epigenetic trauma
Good News: No One Cares feat. Josh Waldron
Sounds harsh, right? In this episode, Steph and Josh Waldron, LA Comedian, talk go through Josh's life as a comedian-- how it started and how it's going. Childhood trauma? Breakups? Drinking? Bad Trips? Being alone? You've come to the right place.
The two discuss:
- Phone addictions
- Bad trips and losing control
- Going sober
- Whether or not childhood trauma makes you grow up faster
- How Josh has changed his approach to women (or lack of approach?)
- Do girls actually care about money?
- How to get a second date: don't attend the first one-- it's not what you think
- How to deal with being alone
Spotify: Chosen None
Youtube: Chosen None
Addiction, "Femininity" and "Masculinity" + Eating Disorders feat. Dr. Brendan Nierenberg, PsyD
Let's be honest, brain health doesn't discriminate. We all have our traumas, vices, addictions, illnesses, or habits. In honor of Men's Mental Health Month, Steph is joined by Dr. Brendan Nierenberg, PsyD, a therapist, influencer, and TikTokker, to discuss various topics surrounding mental health.
Steph and Brendan discuss:
- Addiction: is it passed along or learned?
- Who do males seek approval from?
- Sneaky eating disorders
- "Alpha" males + why we have it all wrong
- How to keep your identity in an ever-changing world
- Femininity and masculinity: is it real?
Guest's TikTok: dreadbehemoth
Exist With Me: Love vs. Lust, Free Will, and Leaving California?
Steph and her guest take on the big D this week, and it got them all in their feels. Tune in for an hour of contradictions, existential questions, and a big question....has Steph left California?
The duo discuss:
- Leaving California to find a "mate"
- Stories in Dallas
- Has self-care become selfishness?
- Are we all in a simulation?
- Is it love or lust?
- Do we really have free will?
Dark Humor and Getting Cancelled feat. Oscar Garza
In this episode, Steph is just along for the ride on Oscar's crazy tangents, all while trying to reign it back in to something that (hopefully) won't get cancelled. If you don't like the "F" word, this episode is definitely not for you. Oscar has a bit of a potty mouth. THIS EPISODE IS NOT FOR THOSE WHO ARE SENSITIVE TO TOPICS SURROUNDING DRUGS, DEATH, SEX, OR BELOW THE AGE OF 18.
Steph and Oscar discuss:
- Giving up drugs and alcohol
- OnlyFans: how to play the game and the consequences of doing so
- Swinger parties
- Polygamous relationships
- Ignoring cancel culture in the name of comedy
- Having dark humor: what does it mean and is it okay?
- Using laughter as a coping mechanism
- Why Oscar doesn't let himself feel very much
The Truth About Being a Fitness Influencer: Mental Health Edition feat. Jimmy Reynolds
As it's the first week of Men's Mental Health Month, Steph was joined by TikTok-er and fitness inspiration Jimmy Reynolds. Jimmy is a sponsored Ghost athlete, professional jump-roper, and all-around incredible human being. Jimmy opens up about the struggles behind the scenes of being an influencer, maintaining a healthy relationship with food, and dealing with online hate.
Steph and Jimmy discuss:
- Not fitting in growing up (+ Steph's childhood as a lumberjack)
- Codependency with simultaneous lack of effort and presence in a relationship
- Is a poor relationship with food really about the food and body....or control?
- How social media impacts a fitness influencer's mental health
- Dealing with online hate, comments, and bullying
- Making your career your identity and the thought of losing it
- Addictions: are they still adverse, even if they are addictions to good things?
- The weirdest thing Jimmy does when he's alone
IG - @jimmysaysrelax
Tik Tok - @jumpropejimmy
Disclaimer: By listening to this episode, you acknowledge that Steph and her guest are not doctors, therapists, or mental health professionals. You acknowledge they are exploring ideas and sharing personal experiences and opinions. If you are triggered by topics of eating disorders, depression, anxiety, and mental illness, please skip this episode.
What If I Don't Really Like Drinking?
- Realizing her dream wasn't her dream
- The worst date she's ever been on: wedding edition
- Her past experiences with drinking
- What to do when people are "pushers" at social gatherings
- How to navigate being the friend who doesn't drink often or at all
- The science behind alcohol's effects on the brain
- How brain damage from alcohol works
- Whether or not marijuana is better
For guest inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
For proof that I didn't pull this out of my a**:
Love, Healing from Trauma, and Leaving an Impact: The Life of Ryan Freeman feat. Colleen Hildebrand
No matter who you are-- gender, age, location, career-- do yourself a favor and listen to this episode on the life of Ryan Freeman. You don't need to have known him personally to learn and gain perspective from his story. His story is so beautifully told by his good friend, and a soon-to-be author, Colleen Hildebrand.
Steph and Colleen discuss:
- Childhood trauma
- Teenage love
- Some hidden truths about an experience in the military
- Life in prison
- Making sense of a senseless tragedy
- Learning to grieve
- How to measure a meaningful life
*TRIGGER WARNING: This episode does include the topic and discussion of rape and sexual assault.*
Exist With Me: First Dates, Leaving Someone "Perfect" and Playing Games
Welcome to the first of many "Exist With Me" episodes. Grab your tea, coffee, wine, or decaffeinated beverage for anxious people like Steph, and hang out with Steph and whomever her guests happen to be.
The four banter about:
- First dates: where to go, what to do, and how long to make them
- Making your parents happy vs. finding your own bliss
- Why you should stop playing games with people you're interested in
- Meeting online vs. in person: is it just your ego, or is one actually better than the other?
- Leaving someone everyone else seems to adore
Guests: @one.way.will, @pono_ng, @hgoldan
Why Your Thyroid/Hormone Health MATTERS feat. She Talks Health (Sophie Shepherd)
This one's for all the ladies or men who want to learn about what birth control actually does to our bodies-- and plot twist: you're not crazy. Hormones are a delicate thing, and Steph and Sophie cover a lot of ground on thyroid health, hormonal health, and gut health.
Steph and Sophie discuss:
- Hypo and hyperthyroidism: what are they and what are some signs you may have this?
- How an under-functioning impacts your quality of life
- Finding the root cause
- Vitamin and nutrient deficiencies caused by the birth control pill
- Does the pill give you a real period?
- Birth control's effects on orgasm, libido, and size of the clitoris
- Getting off the pill: what to expect and how to get through it
- Parts of the menstrual cycle and how to schedule your plans based on the phases
Let's Talk About Sex ft. Dr. Kelly Casperson
A long awaited episode on everyone's favorite (or least favorite) thing...SEX. In this episode, Steph is joined by Dr. Kelly Casperson, a urologist and surgeon who specializes in sexual wellness and has coined the phrase "you are not broken." Dr. Casperson advocates for women (and men) who feel a sense of isolation in a sex-positive culture.
Steph and Dr. Casperson discuss:
- High vs. low sex drive: does it exist?
- Reasons why males may struggle with "performing"
- Alcohol and drugs' impact on sex
- What's needed in order to achieve orgasm
- Factors that can lower your sex drive or make it harder to achieve orgasms
- All about squirting
+ all of your questions!
Am I the Gray Sheep? ft. One Way Will
Stop Sabotaging and SEND IT + The Truth About Flobility ft. Hannah Goldan
Ah, back to my favorite type of episode.... with the OG Hella Hannah! Buckle up, pour yourself a cup of extra-caffeinated coffee, a shot of tequila, and get ready for a bumpy ride.
Hannah and Steph discuss:
- Steph's most recent anxiety attack
- Human connection and the importance of touch/intimacy
- External validation and dependency (not just on people, but on everything)
- Are you "not ready" for a relationship, or are you just closing your heart off from love? Or are they one in the same?
- New game: "You know you live in California when________"
- The TRUTH about Flobility...
Let’s Take a Trip Down Mushroom Lane feat. Nick Komodina
In this episode, Nick and I discuss:
- Imposter Syndrome
- Healing others without a PhD
- Passion vs. Calling
- Losing your period...is it actually bad?
- Mushroom trips
- How religions are potentially connected
+ more! If you feel like tripping yourself out without drugs, just tune into this episode ;)
Stop Trying to Please Everyone ft. Conor Paulsen
This week, we have a special guest joining us again for the third time: Conor Paulsen. Conor is a 27 year old entrepreneur, content creator, podcast host, and all-around good human being. Something I admire most about Conor is his ability to block out noise, distraction, and the influence of others in order to accomplish his goals and serve his community.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Starting a business in college
- Are we who we want to be, or are we just who we are?
- How to make money... a lot of money... and why your #1 goal should not be to make money... confused? Don't be
- Disappointment in meeting your hero
- How to "date" in SoCal
- Reasoning for not looking for a longterm relationship; will there always be a "reason?"
Guest's podcast: The Social Seller w/ Conor Paulsen
All About Pain & Burning Calories With The Brain ft. Karon Hawkins
Men in therapy
Working through trauma and EDMR
How do we find peace in a world of constant chaos?
The biggest thing I've learned from spine-conscious training vs. my old workout regime
Does thinking burn calories?
Pain: physical vs. emotional... or is there a difference?
Decompressing the neural pathways and why this is vital to our health
Can you still lift weights if you want to start Flobility?
Leave us a 5 star review and comment if you enjoyed this episode! Helps tremendously :)
You can find me at
Lyme: The Covert Debilitating Disease ft. Dr. Todd Maderis, N.D.
Did you ever play outside as a kid? I think we can all answer that one. Have you ever experienced long periods of extreme fatigue? Joint pain/inflammation? Anxiety/depression? Numbness/tingling?
In this week's episode, I had the honor of having Dr. Todd Maderis, ND, join me to discuss one of the most undiagnosed diseases. The CDC estimates that Lyme affects almost 500,000 people in the United States, but that's just for those who are diagnosed. This life-altering disease is unfortunately so easy to get, but very hard to treat if not diagnosed as soon as possible.
Dr. Maderis and I discuss:
- What is Lyme Disease?
- Common symptoms of Lyme Disease
- Is Lyme the only tick-borne infection?
- Why is it so hard to diagnose?
Guest's website: https://drtoddmaderis.com/
Let's Talk About Drugs and Death ft. Oscar Garza
If you couldn't tell from the title of this podcast, this episode is not for young listeners. I'm joined by the one and only, Oscar Garza (NOT DEGARZA like how I introduced him at the beginning--shh, don't tell). Oscar is a cinematographer in the San Diego area with so much energy and humor, I think he'd be better off in front of the camera lens than behind it.
- Why men aren't approaching you
- Drugs/addiction at a young age
- Death in a Hispanic family
- Privilege's potential connection to mental illness
and more! Get ready for a WILD ride...
One for One Clothing:
Discount Code: steph10 for 10% off
Think Like An Olympian ft. Carlin Isles
This is by far my favorite episode I've ever recorded, and the one I'm most proud of. Carlin Isles is a USA Olympian and the fastest rugby IN THE WORLD. His story is one for the books. Through foster care, abuse, and every reason to give up, Carlin kept pushing forward. That's Olympian mentality.
Whether your going through something difficult, feeling stuck, or just trying to level up, listen to this incredible person speak from his heart.
Diet vs. Training, Weight-loss, and Leaving a Desk Job ft. Flobility Coach Karon Hawkins
AND WE BACK! The podcast is going through some major changes, so we have been focusing on all things to come these next few months-- spoiler alert: amazing things are coming. I have missed you all too much though, and I had to get an episode out again.
In this episode, Karon Hawkins, Flobility Coach/podcast host, joined me to discuss his journey becoming a coach, growing up in a predominantly white school, leaving a desk job to pursue fat loss coaching, and more:
- Are abs really made in the kitchen?
- Fatloss and caloric intake
- Does Flobility burn more calories than conventional workouts?
- Do you need to lift weights to gain muscle?
- What is the tummy "pooch" actually, and where does stress go in the body?
41 - Is "Just Friends" Even Possible? + Open Relationships & Letting Go of People with Conor Paulsen and Ana Ferrara
PODCAST SWAP with the phenomenal Conor Paulsen of the Social Seller podcast and a special guest, Ana Ferrara. Us three discuss how we came to be, as well as some juicy dating topics that we all love to debate.
In this episode, we cover:
- Is possible to be purely platonic?
- How do you navigate a friendship that results in feelings?
- Our stances on open relationships and how to define them
- How to let people exit your life and set yourself free
Full Youtube video available:
Guests: @conorpaulsen and @ana.kaa
Conor's Podcast: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFmpapJh8uS_YEWKA33OlMQ?app=desktop
40 - My Health Journey, Flobility, Workout Routine, & My Diet
Anotha SOLO EPISODE! Join me this week to hear about my personal journey with fitness and holistic health. Listening back, I realized there was so much more I could've touched on, but I will do another episode on this again. I also lost the last 10 minutes of audio, so apologies for the abrupt ending.
I kick off this episode by telling my story, and then wrap it up by answering questions like the following:
- Do I even lift (anymore), bro?
- Rest days...do I take them and how many?
- Carbs before bed...does it matter?
*By listening to this episode, you understand that I am not a medical professional, and you should seek advice from a medical professional. I am simply telling about my experience and what works for me.
39 - You THINK You Know Me... with Zach White
The assumptions, the narratives, the names, the categories, the labels. We've all been misread, misjudged, and misled-- especially in a world of highlight reels, pictures, and fewer deep connections.
This week on Plan D, Zach White and I have an open and raw conversation about anxiety, depression, having/not having children, Tik Tok, the movie Soul, and more. We talk about what it was like living inside our minds as children and our personal "hells."
You may think you know me; you may think you know Zach. But I can assure you that you will understand us a little more after listening to this episode.
Welcome to our minds.
38 - Breaking Up or Breaking Free? + Dating in California with Conor Paulsen
This week's episode is a podcast swap with Conor Paulsen's "The Social Seller" podcast, so you'll hear me get interviewed this time!
Conor and I discuss life before California, past relationships and how they set me free, how to date when you don't want a relationship, and my top tips for women and men navigating our generation's dating climate.
Not surprisingly, we get DEEP. Enjoy.
Host of the Social Seller: @conorpaulsen
36 - How to Let Love in Again with Monika Lucas
So honored to have the most beautiful soul, Monika Lucas, on this week's episode. Monika is a PhD candidate in developmental psychology and has an incredible life journey that has led her to it.
We discuss her experience growing up in foster care, being adopted, and welcoming love back into your life even after love has left. I also give an emotional update in my life, and we talk about how to find beauty in the darkest situations.