The AI ExperienceFeb 09, 2022
Episode 033: AI in Warfare (Part 1)
Episode 032: The Metaverse
Episode 031: Is The Brain A Computer?
Episode 030: Surveillance
Episode 029: AI Avatars
In this episode, Lloyd discusses the applications of AI-generated and -enabled avatars.
- 0:43 - Intro to AI Avatars
- 1:22 - Motivators & Use Cases
- 5:31 - Future Applications
- 6:49 - Massive Interactive Live Events (MILEs)
- 7:24 - The AI Avatar Stack
- 8:06 - Startups & Venture Capital
- 9:06 - Ethical Concerns & Challenges
Episode 028: Finitely Big Numbers
In this episode, Lloyd discusses some of the really large, but finite numbers that mathematicians make use of.
- 0:58 - Intro to Finitely Big Numbers
- 2:08 - Orders of Magnitude
- 3:22 - Googol, Googolplex, Googolplexplex
- 5:22 - Skewes Number
- 7:44 - Graham's Number
- 12:04 - Knuth's Up-Arrow Notation
- 15:31 - MIT's Big Number Duel
- 17:30 - Exploring Infinity
- 17:58 - Hilbert's Paradox of the Grand Hotel
- 22:25 - Levels of Infinity
Episode 027: AI in Sports
In this episode, Lloyd discusses the use cases for Artificial Intelligence in the sports industry.
- 1:25 - Augmented Reality & Fan Experience
- 3:20 - Advertising with AR and AI
- 3:47 - Synthesized Viewpoints
- 4:36 - Franchise & Venue Management
- 6:31 - Enhancing the At-Home Experience
- 7:07 - Player Tracking & Performance Optimization
- 8:15 - Behavioral Profiling & Targeted Marketing
- 10:09 - Social Functionality, Content, and Gaming
- 11:13 - "The Curation of Everything"
Episode 026: The Turing Test
In this episode, Lloyd discusses the Turing Test and the challenges surrounding the classification and identification of machine intelligence.
- 0:36 - Intro to the Turing Test
- 3:03 - The Imitation Game
- 5:21 - ELIZA & PARRY
- 7:51 - The Chinese Room
- 9:40 - Loebner Prize
- 11:25 - Challenges & Artificial Stupidity
- 13:29 - Alternate Formulations
- 15:46 - Predictions
Episode 025: Genetic Algorithms
In this episode, Lloyd discusses Genetic Algorithms and the unique framework that allows them to be effective.
- 1:34 - Intro to Genetic Algorithms
- 3:13 - Survival of the Fittest
- 6:08 - Genetic Encodings
- 8:54 - Quantitative Breeding
- 13:17 - Limitations & Drawbacks
Episode 024: GANs
In this episode, Lloyd discusses Generative Adversarial Networks (GANs), one of the more recent developments in the field of AI that has gained immense traction.
- 1:47 - Intro to GANs
- 3:40 - A Helpful Example
- 6:16 - Deepfakes
- 8:24 - Other GAN Applications
- 9:28 - Drawbacks: Adversarial Machine Learning
Episode 023: GOFAI
In this episode, Lloyd discusses Good Old Fashioned Artificial Intelligence (GOFAI), the predecessor to the approach to computation currently in focus in the industry.
- 1:13 - Intro to GOFAI & Symbolic AI
- 3:48 - GOFAI Explained...Sort Of
- 8:05 - The Impact of GOFAI
Episode 022: Artificial Consciousness
In this episode, Lloyd discusses the concept of Artifical Consciousness, as well as the philosophicaland ethical issues surrounding it.
- 0:50 - Intro to Artificial Consciousness
- 3:39 - The Ship of Theseus
- 5:02 - What is Consciousness?
- 7:40 - Machine Ethics
- 9:37 - Turing Test
- 12:53 - A Case For Skepticism
- 13:51 - Boltzmann Brains
- 16:58 - Current AI Research
Episode 021: GPT-3
In this episode, Lloyd discusses GPT-3, the latest development in Natural Language Generation from OpenAI, produced by a Machine Learning model trained on 175 billion parameters.
- 0:59 - Intro to GPT-3
- 2:43 - Byte-Pair Encoded Tokens
- 3:49 - Conflicting Opinions & GPT-3 Capabilities
- 8:30 - The Nature of Understanding & Clever Hans
- 12:27 - Implications of GPT-3
- 19:43 - Weaponized NLG & Practical Concerns
Episode 020: AI & The Metaverse
In this episode, Lloyd describes the concept of The Metaverse and how it might play a role in bringing about a renaissance in Artificial General Intelligence (AGI).
- 1:08 - Intro to The Metaverse
- 2:03 - Expected Characteristics of The Metaverse
- 3:27 - What Will We Do In The Metaverse?
- 7:54 - The Role of Artificial Intelligence
- 10:57 - Virtual Worlds As The Catalyst For An AI Renaissance
- 16:11 - Fortnite, The Unreal Engine, and Epic Games
Episode 019: Instrumental Convergence
In this episode, Lloyd explains the concept of "Instrumental Convergence" and breaks down the relevant arguments made and concerns raised by leading AI theorists.
- 1:14 - Intro to Instrumental Convergence
- 4:17 - Riemann Hypothesis Catastrophe
- 6:20 - Paperclip Maximizer
- 7:33 - Basic AI Drives
- 17:01 - AI Control Problem
- 18:10 - Possible Solution: AI Box
Episode 018: Unintended Consequences
In this episode, Lloyd discusses the notion of unintended consequences by tracing trends and examples throughout history and then relating them to topics in the AI field today.
- 1:10 - Intro to Unintended Consequences
- 1:56 - Unexpected Benefits
- 3:28 - Unexpected Drawbacks
- 6:42 - Perverse Results
- 12:21 - Unintended Consequences in Artificial Intelligence
- 13:58 - A Word on Autonomous Vehicles
- 17:22 - Other Concerns
- 19:06 - Self-Reinforcement Learning & Negative Feedback Loops
- 25:32 - Bain Report
Episode 017: Predictive Policing
In this episode, Lloyd discusses the topic of predictive policing, which has recently garnered particular attention as mathematicians circulated a petition urging colleagues to sever ties with law enforcement agencies.
- 1:20 - Intro to Predictive Policing
- 3:59 - A Scientific Veneer for Racism
- 5:56 - Negative Feedback Loops
- 9:49 - PredPol & ICERM
- 14:30 - The Impact of Facial Recognition
- 18:22 - Playing Devil's Advocate
- 19:25 - Minority Report IRL
- 22:03 - Disparate Impact
- 26:05 - The PATRIOT Act & The Role of Abstraction
Episode 016: Misleading Advertising
In this episode, Lloyd discusses the topic of misleading advertising as relates to Artificial Intelligence. It expands upon and follows an article which can be found here: https://bit.ly/InfoQ_MisleadingAds
- 1:53 - Intro to Advertising AI Solutions
- 2:53 - Definitions & Terminology
- 5:57 - Confusion & Conflation
- 9:03 - Forms of Misleading Advertising
- 12:43 - Impacts of Misleading Advertising
- 14:28 - Signs of "Real AI" At Work
- 17:56 - Signs of "Fake AI" At Work
- 19:27 - Theranos & The Mechanical Turk
- 21:57 - Ambiguity Among Practitioners
- 24:21 - Questions to Ask
Episode 015: Existential Risk
In this episode, Lloyd discusses the concept of "existential risk" in the context of the current global pandemic as well as the pursuit of Artificial General Intelligence (AGI).
- 1:23 - Intro to Existential Risk
- 5:04 - The Risks of AGI
- 6:32 - Instrumental Convergence & Self-Preservation
- 8:52 - Machines:Humans::Humans:Ants
- 9:46 - A Word From The Authors
- 14:18 - Poorly Specified Goals
- 20:50 - The Urn of Invention & The Vulnerable World Hypothesis
- 28:01 - Turnkey Totalitarianism
Episode 014: Facial Recognition Pt. 2
In this episode, Lloyd revisits a prior discussion on facial recognition, in light of recent news that Amazon, IBM, and Microsoft are all changing course in the way they monetize the technology. This conversation is especially relevant in the wake of the murder of George Floyd, subsequent protests, and governmental response. The podcast was released with a newsletter on the same topic, which can be found at https://bit.ly/AI_Today_Issue014.
- 2:42 - Amazon, IBM, and Microsoft on Facial Recognition
- 3:49 - COVID-19 Lessons Learned
- 7:12 - Reasons to Take Pause
- 11:41 - Emotion Recognition (https://www.photofeeler.com/)
- 13:57 - Stalking and Harassment via Web Crawlers
- 15:45 - Identify Fraud & Personal Privacy
- 18:13 - The Role of Regulation & Politics
- 21:07 - Life, Liberty, PATRIOT Act
- 24:18 - Cost/Benefit Analysis
Episode 013: Algorithmic Bias
In this episode, Lloyd talks about ICED(AI)'s pledge to provide $100,000 worth of pro-bono consulting hours to small businesses and individuals who have been impacted by discrimination and social unrest. The conversation then focuses on the ways in which human biases seep into algorithmic decision making, as well as the impact of this phenomenon on society.
You can read more about the pledge here: https://bit.ly/ICEDAI_Pledge
- 2:02 - The ICED(AI) Pledge
- 3:20 - Intro to Algorithmic Bias
- 6:40 - Racial Bias in Healthcare Algorithms
- 10:18 - Biased Training Data
- 12:10 - The Orwellian Future of Facial Recognition
- 14:51 - Algorithmic Accountability
- 16:04 - Disparate Algorithmic Impact
- 18:04 - The Curious Case of Car Insurance
- 19:56 - Effective Altruism & Challenging Assumptions
- 24:29 - A North Korean Anecdote
- 29:44 - The Need for Compassion & Empathy
Episode 012: Ambiguity
In this episode, Lloyd discusses why it is that machines struggle to interpret ambiguous input, and what the implications are for the pursuit of Artificial General Intelligence (AGI) . The conversation focuses on a blog post by ICED(AI) advisory, Michael Stiefel, which can be found at bit.ly/ArtAndSoftware_Ambiguity.
- 1:42 - Machine Intelligence & Art
- 6:15 - Real World Recursion, Simulations and Simulacra
- 9:49 - Moravec's Paradox, Revisited
- 13:07 - "The city council refused the demonstrators a permit because they [feared/advocated] violence."
- 16:10 - Anthropic Bias and Practicality
- 19:48 - Existential Risk
- 21:33 - "Code Is Law"
- 25:25 - The Threat of Ambiguity
Episode 011: Free Will
In this episode, Lloyd and Geoff discuss what it would mean for a machine to exercise agency or volition. The conversation touches upon topics including quantum mechanics, ethics, metaphysics, causality, and parallel universes, in addition to Artificial Intelligence.
- 2:46 - Can Machines Have Free Will?
- 7:36 - Distinguishing Lies From Errors
- 14:06 - Libertarianism, Determinism, Compatibilism
- 21:41 - Comments on Causality
- 28:53 - The Unknowable Unknowns & Butterfly Effect
- 34:33 - The Multiverse & Quantum Suicide
- 41:50 - The Illusion of the Self & Linguistic Ambiguity
- 48:08 - Can Machines Have Free Will?
- 50:18 - The Anthropic Principle
Episode 010: Optimization Pt. 2
In this episode, Lloyd and Geoff continue their conversation regarding the viewpoint that life itself may be properly conceived of as a convex optimization problem. They touch upon a number of interesting philosophical concepts and also give proper kudos to acclaimed Yale Professor, Dr. Laurie Santos, whose class, The Science of Well-Being, and podcast, The Happiness Lab, are highly recommended for anyone interested in the topic.
- 2:15 - Optimization in Everyday Life: A Bottom-Up Analysis
- 11:06 - Mistaking Local Extrema for Global Extrema
- 13:27 - The Hedonic Treadmill & Pursuing Goals
- 18:02 - Evolution by Natural Optimization
- 22:07 - The Science of Well-Being
- 28:48 - Being Happy vs. Becoming Happy
- 29:50 - Framing, Expectations, & Energy Constraints
- 34:31 - The Advantage of Life as an Optimization Problem
- 41:08 - A Segue Into GOFAI & AGI
- 44:50 - Closing Thoughts
Episode 009: Optimization Pt. 1
In this episode, Lloyd and Geoff delve into the nature of optimization problems in mathematics and their role in Artificial Intelligence. They then discuss the concept of reimagining one's life as a convex optimization problem.
- 1:55 - Introduction to Optimization
- 9:02 - The Role of Optimization in AI Systems
- 14:21 - Exploring via Gradient Descent
- 17:53 - Imagining Life as a Convex Optimization Problem
- 21:58 - The Parameterization of Happiness
- 24:55 - The Fractal Nature of Entropy
- 26:32 - Happiness, Utility, and Attention
- 32:28 - Questioning the Model
- 36:34 - A Discussion on Decision Fatigue
- 39:25 - Properly Scoping the Optimization Problem
- 48:10 - The Utility of the Expected Value Framework
Episode 008: Paradoxes
In this episode, recorded before the COVID-19 pandemic, Lloyd and Geoff dissect Artificial Intelligence through the lens of paradoxes that originate in a variety of different disciplines. They discuss what the requirements for achieving the synthesis of human intelligence ought to be and how
- 1:13 - Exploring Moravec's Paradox
- 6:36 - The Bounding Box For AI
- 10:53 - Thoughts on Creativity
- 14:16 - A Word on Narrow vs. General Intelligence
- 19:07 - The Call for Skepticism & Caution
- 25:07 - The Coastline Paradox
- 32:36 - Uncovering Phenomenological Biases Through Xeno's Paradox
- 38:22 - The Relevance of Artificial Intelligence
- 39:56 - The Unexpected Hanging Paradox
- 42:56 - The Raven Paradox
- 48:36 - Closing Thoughts on Skepticism & Caution
Episode 007: The Coronavirus Pandemic
In this special episode, Lloyd and Geoff discuss the current crisis surrounding the coronavirus and COVID-19. They talk about the ways in which businesses and individuals are impacted, how Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning can play a role in finding a solution, and what opportunities currently exist for engineers and data scientists.
- 2:16 - Dr. Javier Mendoza, a Covid-19 Hero (and ICED(AI) Charter Member)
- 3:33 - Always Be Closing, Pandemics Notwithstanding
- 6:16 - Seeking a Market Bottom
- 12:58 - Briefly Considering Options & Impacts
- 16:14 - The Role of AI in Combating the Coronavirus
- 17:50 - The Role of Technology During a Pandemic
- 22:42 - A Case of Mistaken Identity & Market Participation Amidst a Panic
- 24:41 - How to Optimize Time Spent in Quarantine
- 30:04 - Lasting Impacts on Business and Tech
- 31:34 - Opportunities for Engineers
Episode 006: Facial Recognition
In this episode, Lloyd and Geoff discuss some of the most concerning aspects of facial recognition technology, as well as the potential for benevolent use cases and positive externalities.
- 2:16 - Intro to Facial Recognition
- 8:31 - Clearview AI & Legal Concerns
- 9:51 - Dangers of Biased Training Data
- 15:20 - How Intelligent is Artificial Intelligence?
- 16:47 - An Existential Cost-Benefit Analysis
- 19:33 - The Expectation of Benevolence and Transparency
- 25:17 - Trading Privacy for Security
- 32:23 - The Future Threat of Emotional Recognition
- 39:56 - Silver Lining or Inevitable Surveillance State?
Episode 005: Sports Betting
In this episode, Lloyd and Geoff discuss the role of artificial intelligence in the US sports betting ecosystem amid its exponential growth phase. They also cover the ethical, economic, and regulatory aspects of this burgeoning industry.
- 1:30 - Intro to Sports Betting & State of The Industry
- 4:56 - Historical Role of Predictive Analytics
- 10:48 - Evolving Role of Machine Learning
- 13:07 - Risk Management for Sportsbooks
- 16:13 - Additional Use Cases
- 18:42 - Responsible (Sustainable) Gaming
- 23:30 - Ethics of Legalized Sports Betting
- 30:31 - Economic vs. Social Interests
- 31:40 - Offshore and Unregulated Markets
- 33:07 - The Utilitarian Case for Sports Betting
- 36:46 - Leagues vs. Operators, Integrity Concerns, & Match Fixing
- 41:00 - Official League Data Mandates
- 45:30 - Thoughts on Regulation and Betting Exchanges
Episode 004: The Future of Healthcare
In this episode, Lloyd and Geoff discuss the incredible benefits provided by the use of AI in healthcare, along with some of the terrifying ethical dilemmas that said use causes to manifest.
- 1:19 - Google's AI Breast Cancer Detection Engine
- 5:50 - Ethical Dilemmas & Causes For Concern
- 9:25 - Use Cases For AI in Healthcare
- 14:13 - Data Privacy, Data Mining, & Data Rights
- 20:21 - Digitization of Electronic Health Records (EHRs)
- 25:24 - The Human Element
- 32:22 - Keeping Perspective
Episode 003: Poker Bots
In this episode, Lloyd and Geoff discuss the history, current state, and future trajectory of game-playing AI engines, particularly those focused around poker, chess, and Go.
- 1:11 - Intro to Game-Playing AI
- 7:45 - AlphaZero vs. Stockfish 8
- 11:11 - The Emotionless Infallibility of Computer Memory
- 13:59 - Discussing Poker, Hidden Information
- 17:45 - Computer's Mind's Eye
- 26:28 - A Discussion on Free Will, Suffering, and Human Nature
- 31:52 - The Next Frontier
- 46:36 - A Note on Adversarial Machine Learning
Episode 002: State of AI
In this episode, Lloyd and Geoff discuss the state of the AI industry, looking back to 2019 and the past decade, as well as 2020 and the one upcoming.
- 1:56 - AI Index Report 2019 Recap
- 6:54 - Investment & Innovation: Chicken or the Egg?
- 11:46 - Open Sourcing & Other "Exogenous" Factors
- 15:19 - Ubiquity of AI Systems & Ethical Dilemmas
- 23:21 - The Turing Test & Other Benchmarks
- 32:18 - Predictions & Food For Thought
Episode 001: Autonomous Vehicles
Lloyd and Geoff discuss the rise of autonomous vehicles starting with the DARPA grand challenge and ending in the current state of the art before discussing the trajectory of future tech. Welcome to The AI Experience!
- 0:25 - History & Current State of Autonomous Vehicles
- 7:28 - Ryan Used Me As An Object Recognition Engine
- 13:44 - The Experience of a Tesla Owner
- 17:14 - Computer Vision & Metaphysical Ponderings
- 25:05 - The Convenience of Symmetry
- 28:36 - Las Vegas Autonomous Taxi Market
- 34:49 - Chinese Governmental Support
- 38:20 - The 21st Cenutry Trolley Problem