The William Tell ShowDec 06, 2022
Podcast will resume in December.
Some things will never change, Part 1
That's just the way it is.
- Nina Tame's FaceBook post (Change "&" to "&" in the URL.)
- The Homeless Blogger | Category | Job search/Job prospects
- Worker Confounded After Being Denied ‘Accommodations’ For Her Time Blindness — ‘If You Struggle With Being On Time You’ll Never Get A Job'
- Norms exist. Get over it.
- Life with DSPS
Music: Bruce Hornsby, "The Way It Is" https://williamatell.files.wordpress.com/2123/07/01-the-way-it-is-remastered.mp3
Balls and strikes
Will Trump get justice in the Stormy Daniels matter?
Music: John Fogerty, "Centerfield"
- Podcast — Facts and Law: Will Donald Trump be indicted, or not?
- PESB: A "woke" excess (Link won't take effect until 08/26/23.)
I have not had the Net access I need to record an episode this month.
My laptop got damaged. Then it got repaired. Then it got stolen.
Tuesday night/Wednesday morning 06/13-14/23, I slept with the back door open, (1) to let in the cool night air, and (2) to entice an alley cat I want to adopt. It has come in several times before ISO food.
Wednesday morning, like any morning, first thing to do was put on my trousers. I'd left them on the kitchen floor.
They were gone. Along with my house keys.
Along with my backpack, my photo ID, my ATM card, my SNAP card, my Medicare card, my smokes, a jar of dimes I use for bus fare, a stash of $1s I also use for bus fare (That was all the cash I had.), and the silver dollar I use as an amulet in meditation.
I'm amazed the person could see all those things without turning on a light.
It's been a mad scramble ever since to replace them.
I won't replace the laptop. Instead, I'm buying an RCA Premium 11.6" tablet, ~$120.
I previously had at least three successive RCA Viking Pro 10s, which apparently are no longer made. One got sto9len at DD; another got stolen at BK; so I'm sure to be on the lookout for theft insurance this time. The third one just plain wore out.
The limitations: (1) I'll have to type with two fingers; (2) the Android version of MS Office does not include a sort feature. Otherwise, these tablets do everything I need.
They're perfect for recording Anchor podcasts.
Taking a break this month.
Friday 05/05/23, my laptop sustained water damage. The hard drive, or at least the operating system, disconnected. At this moment, it is in the hands of a trusted, techy, church member wunderkind who may or may not be able to fix it. At least, he said, he may be able to retrieve the data, which I warned him includes 16G of porn.
For the duration, I'm using the computers at the central branch Enoch Pratt Free Libary — and am without any means to record.
If this genius can fix it, well and good. If I must replace it, I'll have to jump through some hoops: I was financially able to pay "cash" for it when I bought it two years ago, but now to replace it I'll have to find credit.
Either way, I hope to "see you" again in July!
Chromosomes, not pronouns
- Blog post, "Musth" https://thehomelessblogger.com/2020/02/29/musth/
- Blog post, "The alphabet people" https://thehomelessblogger.com/2023/02/04/the-alphabet-people/
- Dad Takes His Son for a Manicure and Pedicure After His Teacher Told Him It's 'Only for Girls'
- Parents pull 4-year-old from church school for promoting 'gender identity' lessons: 'Cruel deception'
- David Reimer - Wikipedia
- Chapter 5. Socialization – Introduction to Sociology – 2nd Canadian Edition (opentextbc.ca)
- The Chalice and the Blade - Wikipedia
- The Kinks, "Lola" https://williamatell.files.wordpress.com/2023/03/05-lola.mp3
- The Romantics, "What I Like About You"
Tom and the phone charger
Naivete and claivoyance
Music: Barbara Streisand, "On a clear day (you can see forever)"
Loss of innocence
Related: Podcast – “Beautiful music”, https://thehomelessblogger.com/2019/11/12/podcast-beautiful-music/
- Tom Petty, "Free Fallin'"
- Great White, "Once Bitten, Twice Shy"
- Billy Joel, "Easy Money"
- Elvis Presley, "It's Now or Never"
Related: "What are the lyrics to ‘O sole mio’, and who wrote it?" - Classic FM, https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/o-sole-mio-lyrics/
- Jvke, "Golden Hour"
Many problems, one solution
- The woman who vanished
- Blinded by the light
- Podcast – Brightening the sparks
Music: Laura Branigan, "Gloria"
Tucker Carlson and Ukraine
Related: Tucker Carlson: Lawmakers applauding Zelensky clapped ‘like seals’ | The Hill
Music: Jazmine Sullivan sings “The Star Spangled Banner” at the 2022 MLB World Series:
Meet Hooda Thunkit (Replay)
Saint — Hero — Role model
With Christmas approaching, I decided to merely re-play last December's episode, which includes "The Christmas Song."
- Mel Torme, "The Christmas Song"
- David Seville, "Witch Doctor"
Issues for the midterms
For What It’s Worth
- Podcast – What do you look for in a candidate? | The Homeless Blogger
- 'The View' host Joy Behar finds voters' focus on economy 'sad and depressing' | Fox News
Music: Buffalo Springfield, "For What It's Worth"
Facts and Law: Will Donald Trump be indicted, or not?
What you or I want does not matter.
Music: Sister Rosetta Tharpe, "Strange Things Happening Every Day"
Contrasts and Justice (Part 2)
Choices and inevitability
- Podcast — Contrasts and justice in downtown Baltimore | The Homeless Blogger
- For us | The Homeless Blogger
- Learning curve | The Homeless Blogger
- Starbucks | Search Results | The Homeless Blogger
- McDonald’s #2763 | The Homeless Blogger
- Starbucks Locations Across Five States Closing in July: List (businessinsider.com)Coo
- 6 Starbucks stores across L.A. area permanently close - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)
- A rise in retail crime causing Eddie's of Mount Vernon to consider closing | WBFF (foxbaltimore.com)
- ‘Lady In The Lake’ Series Halts Production After Extortion Threats – Deadline Per a different article, this was at 200 Park Avenue.
- The Turtles, “Happy Together”
- George Michael, “Hand to Mouth”
Contrasts and justice in downtown Baltimore
You get what you choose, whether you want it or not.
- White-shaming: https://thehomelessblogger.com/2016/07/25/white-shaming/
- Dreaming of my own place: https://thehomelessblogger.com/2020/02/08/dreaming-of-my-own-place/
Music: Chicago, "Saturday in the Park"
ADVISORY: EXPLICIT LANGUAGE
- Blog post: "I don’t believe in belief. Here’s why." https://thehomelessblogger.com/2015/06/20/belief-delusion-faith-prayer/
- Wikipedia article: "Paper Moon (film)" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paper_Moon_(film)
Music: Lena Zavaroni, "It's only a paper moon"
The Way of Peace
The Inky Dinky Spider
- "Job search update, 09/01/14"
- "Life in the outer darkness"
Music: Badfinger, "No Matter What"
Love and Order
- "Dez Bryant, love and responsibility" https://thehomelessblogger.com/2019/01/05/dez-bryant-love-and-responsibility
- "Where trees thrive, people thrive" https://thehomelessblogger.com/2014/10/04/vandalism/
Music: The Jonas Brothers, "Sucker" https://williamatell.files.wordpress.com/2022/03/01-sucker.mp3
Growing up is hard to do
A lifelong process.
Music: Neil Sedaka, "Breaking up is hard to do"
Housing update, 02/01/22
And thoughts about unanswered prayer.
Music: Cat Stevens, "Another Saturday Night"
The U.S. and the New Jerusalem
A city set on a hill cannot be hid.
- Tim O'Brien, "Twelve Gates to the City"
- The Davis Sisters, "Twelve Gates to the City"
Saint and sinner
We're each both, at all times.
Related: The Way of Peace, chapter 17: "About organized religion"
Related: The Way of Peace, chapter 19: "Sacrifice"
Music: Don Henley, "The Heart of the Matter"
The fool on the hill
So, that happened.
The Beatles, "The fool on the hill"
The Beatles, "Nowhere man"
Your Heart's Desire
What is your heart's desire?
Related: "Your Heart's Desire," by Emmet Fox
Music: Roy Orbison, "You Got It"
Good things I did today
Pat yourself on the back.
First Music: Bebe Rexha, "I'm a mess"
Second Music: The Pretenders, "Don't get me wrong"
Choices facing Mildew
Related: Free Speech Handbook, https://thehomelessblogger.com/the-william-tell-show/free-speech-handbook/
Music: Nina Simone, "I wish I knew how it would feel to be free"
My Favorite Things
Wisdom is about managing feelings.
Music: Julie Andrews, "My Favorite Things:"
Seeking peace of mind
It won't happen if I'm not paying attention.
Music: George Michael, "Father Figure": https://williamatell.files.wordpress.com/2043/06/02-father-figure-remastered.mp3
Related: Fareed Zakaria | The Homeless Blogger
Related: Your Body Doesn't Lie: Amazon.com
Related: Sanpaku - Wikipedia
Music: The Beatles, "Here Comes the Sun"
"The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down"
No one has standing to re-write the myth.
Related: The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down - Wikipedia
Related: Can 'The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down' Be Redeemed? - Rolling Stone
Related: 'The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down' Needs No Redemption | Saving Country Music
Music: The Band, "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down"
Lyrics, from Genius.com:
Virgil Caine is the name and I served on the Danville train
'Til Stoneman's cavalry came and tore up the tracks again
In the winter of '65, we were hungry, just barely alive
By May the tenth, Richmond had fell
It's a time I remember, oh so well
Back with my wife in Tennessee
When one day she called to me
"Virgil, quick, come see, there goes Robert E.Lee"
Now I don't mind choppin' wood
And I don't care if the money's no good
Ya take what ya need and ya leave the rest
But they should never have taken the very best
The night they drove old Dixie down
And the bells were ringing
The night they drove old Dixie down
And the people were singing
They went, "La, la, la"
Like my father before me, I will work the land
And like my brother above me, who took a rebel stand
He was just eighteen, proud and brave
But a Yankee laid him in his grave
I swear by the mud below my feet
You can't raise a Caine back up when he's in defeat
Political strife is all about the bogeyman.
Patriots and junkies
The present moment
Related: 2013 United States federal government shutdown - Wikipedia
Related: President Trump’s job approval rating plummets after mob attack (usatoday.com)
Related: Psychic Vandalism (9780898048711): Robert R. Leichtman, M.D.: Books
Music: The Youngbloods, "Get Together"
Brightening the sparks
Truth and love
My father's favorite Bible verse was John 8:32, "You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
Related blog post: Dez Bryant, love and responsibility
Related blog post: Open heart | The Homeless Blogger
Related podcast: Exonerating Meghan
Related article: Army Hits Back Against False Claim that Soldiers Died in CIA Op to Nab Election Servers | Military.com
Music: The Beatles, "All you need is love"
Meet the new boss
The political implications of charity.
Related blog post: The great questions of our time
Related article: "Race is being used to wreck the middle class": The silent bigotry of America's poverty politics
Wikipedia: Reign of Terror
Wikipedia: Great Purge
Music: The Who, "We won't get fooled again"
Are you big enough to take it?
Three Wise Monkeys
Blog post: Three Wise Monkeys
Previous posts mentioning "You get what you choose:"
About Edgar Cayce’s dream, part 1
Reasons to seek prosperity
More about value judgments:
Value judgments: Feminists doing science?
Dr. Leichtman’s webpage: Active Meditation
Music: Allman Brothers Band, "Southbound"
What do you look for in a candidate?
I would have voted for Orrin Hatch.
Related blog post: A near perfect example of a human being who is morally lost and confused
Blog post for comments: Podcast - What do you look for in a candidate?
Related: Police chief’s decision to quit may have just saved Seattle from itself
Music: Neil Diamond, "America"
The day I got out of jail
Until black folk love themselves
like white folk love themselves,
there will be no change.